Martina and Alberto - home activities #19

3 minutes ago, yelt said:

I agree.  My son is in med school. Took his first boards and thought he did horrible but turned out his score was in the upper 15% for the US.  She will be okay! Not many of us can take tests in 3 different languages.  Alberto is being positive and extremely supportive!

Martina and Alberto are in the kitchen and she just said she wants to "fuck".  Must relax her. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, catalonia said:

From what she explains, she has only been studying for two months, she did not start the course in September like most of the rest of the students. It has been brave.

Yes, that can make some difference. Possible for a better score, but she just needs to pass!!

1 minute ago, yelt said:

Sí, eso puede marcar la diferencia. Posible para una mejor puntuación, pero ella solo necesita pasar !!

Keep in mind that to study what she wants (hospitality and tourism) she needs to get a certain minimum grade.

After yesterday's exams Martina was obviously frustrated and angry because of maths. I don't speak Spanish but again and again she used the word "matematica". 

I saw her learn maths and watched her being busy with equations and noticed it's the level 17/18 year old students at a German "Gymnasium", a French "lycee" or an English "six-form-college" deal with, about a year before their final exams (Abi, bac, a-levels).

I guess that Martina left school at the age of 16, which is not unusual when you grow up in a rural area far away from a town offering higher school education. So now she has to make up leeway, which is extremely difficult with subjects like maths. With most other subjects you can easily start anew. Maths, however, is structured hierarchically. 

Possibly or hopefully she can compensate her maths weakness with good marks in other subjects. By the way,  "hospitality and tourism" don't really need algebra, basic arithmetics (+ - : X), fractions, percentage are more than sufficient. I am sure will Martina will be much better at the other subjects. She is intelligent, well-informed, eloquent, self-confident, busy and ambitious. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peterandpaul said:

After yesterday's exams Martina was obviously frustrated and angry because of maths. I don't speak Spanish but again and again she used the word "matematica". 

I saw her learn maths and watched her being busy with equations and noticed it's the level 17/18 year old students at a German "Gymnasium", a French "lycee" or an English "six-form-college" deal with, about a year before their final exams (Abi, bac, a-levels).

I guess that Martina left school at the age of 16, which is not unusual when you grow up in a rural area far away from a town offering higher school education. So now she has to make up leeway, which is extremely difficult with subjects like maths. With most other subjects you can easily start anew. Maths, however, is structured hierarchically. 

Possibly or hopefully she can compensate her maths weakness with good marks in other subjects. By the way,  "hospitality and tourism" don't really need algebra, basic arithmetics (+ - : X), fractions, percentage are more than sufficient. I am sure will Martina will be much better at the other subjects. She is intelligent, well-informed, eloquent, self-confident, busy and ambitious. 

Good to know about the "hospitality and tourism" requirements.  I hope she can stay focus today and leave yesterday behind! If so, I feel she will do well. 

🤔 oh only two month instead of 7 month preparation is quiet risky especially with mathematics....I also find it stessy to have three different topics in one day. Hope she can focus on the last two exams today in Economics and Geography. Let's wish her all the best and I also feel she will do well. 🤞   🤞

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Peterandpaul said:

From your explanation, it sounds like it's the Spanish/Euro equivalant of a General Education Development (GED) degree here in the states that is required to attend college when someone hasn't graduated from High School.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterandpaul said:

Au fait, "l'hôtellerie et le tourisme" n'ont pas vraiment besoin d'algèbre, l'arithmétique de base (+ -: X), les fractions, le pourcentage sont plus que suffisants.

A quoi ça sert les mathématiques dans le tourisme et l'hôtellerie ?

A compté le nombre de passagers dans le bus ou bien le nombre d'assiette et de couvert pour dresser la table. 🤣

What is the use of mathematics in tourism and hotels?

Counted the number of passengers in the bus or the number of plates and cutlery to set the table. 🤣

1 minute ago, scoutouyoufe said:

What is the use of mathematics in tourism and the hotel industry?

Counted the number of passengers in the bus or the number of plates and places to set the table. 🤣

What is the use of mathematics in tourism and hotels?

Counted the number of passengers in the bus or the number of plates and cutlery to set the table.  🤣

If the goal is management, then yes, basic math and low level algebra is very necessary, but geometry/trig/calc probably not.  Statistics would be helpful, but not a requirement.