Microsoft Business Strategies

23 minutes ago, TBG 150 said:

The chances of a persons computer that already has Win 10, accepting Win 11 is pretty good. Those of us with older, stable versions, not so good.

Mine won't accept it.  The Health check says not compatible.   Users have no worry the updates for Windows 10 will keep flowing as usual for ones that don't meet the requirements.  

If someone has a new machine that was purchased within the past year they should not have much problem with it installing as it will just upgrade over top of what they currently use.

I myself may just switch to  the Zorin O/S and try that out for a bit see if there's any difference. It's Linux based and it will handle most apps that Windows uses now.  I have my whole Windows 10 backed up so it's no problem switching back if I don't like it.  I'll only be out $30 if I am not happy with it.

26 minutes ago, TBG 150 said:

The chances of a persons computer that already has Win 10, accepting Win 11 is pretty good. Those of us with older, stable versions, not so good.

Nope...Running Windows 10 on your existing rig has no bearing on weather you can run Windows 11.  Almost anything can run Windows 10.  I have a three year old i7-7700 and a one year old Surface Tablet.  Both running windows 10 that they came with.  The desktop i7- 7700 cannot run Windows 11 and the Surface will be able to run it.

• 4 weeks later...

I just recently built myself a new rig it's ARBG and it puts on a decent light show. 

To buy one prebuilt it would cost me $3200 or more for what I wanted and all it had in was generic parts of brand names I have never heard of.  So I priced each part separately using top brand name parts like ASUS, Corsair, AMD and so on and I got all the parts I needed for $1886 + Tax which cost just over $2,100 so there is a big savings at building your own opposed to purchasing prebuilt machines.

• MSI MPG SEKIRA 100R Black Steel / Plastic / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case with 4 x 120mm ARGB Fan Pre-installed
  • CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 DRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory
  • AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 24 Thread 3.8 GHz (4.6 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W Desktop Processor

• CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W ATX 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

• ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, WiFi 6, 2.5Gbps LAN, Dual M.2, 8 SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 2

• (2) WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5"/7mm Solid State Drive

• GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card

• 4 weeks later...

I now have Windows 11 installed on my machine.  Doesn't look too bad.  Certainly different than all the past Operating Systems Microsoft has had.

Will take a little bit too get used to as some of the features are not in the same place they used to be.  It downloaded last night through Windows Update but I wasn't too thrilled after it was installed.  I tried running my back up to go back to Windows 10 and because Microsoft has added a 3rd Partition for EFI it would not let me get back.  So I had to go to Microsoft and Download an .ISO image of the Windows 11.  I clean installed it and it seems to perform a lot better but still get the EFI issue. Hopefully Microsoft will have that rectified before the official RC of Win 11 is rolled out. As far as performance there's a good improvement over Windows 10.

13 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

I now have Windows 11 installed on my machine.  Doesn't look too bad.  Certainly different than all the past Operating Systems Microsoft has had.

Will take a little bit too get used to as some of the features are not in the same place they used to be.  It downloaded last night through Windows Update but I wasn't too thrilled after it was installed.  I tried running my back up to go back to Windows 10 and because Microsoft has added a 3rd Partition for EFI it would not let me get back.  So I had to go to Microsoft and Download an .ISO image of the Windows 11.  I clean installed it and it seems to perform a lot better but still get the EFI issue. Hopefully Microsoft will have that rectified before the official RC of Win 11 is rolled out. As far as performance there's a good improvement over Windows 10.

what is EFI?

9 hours ago, StnCld316 said:

Something to do with Firmware on SSD Drives.  

This should make it clear as mud.🤓

The EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) system partition or ESP is a partition on a data storage device (usually a hard disk drive or solid-state drive) that is used by computers adhering to the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). When a computer is booted, UEFI firmware loads files stored on the ESP to start installed operating systems and various utilities.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, albundy1089 said:

This should make it clear as mud.🤓

The EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) system partition or ESP is a partition on a data storage device (usually a hard disk drive or solid-state drive) that is used by computers adhering to the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). When a computer is booted, UEFI firmware loads files stored on the ESP to start installed operating systems and various utilities.

I can make a back up of a system image of my hard drive but when I run the back up to make sure it works, it kept coming up with this EFI Firmware error.  

This never used to be in the Partitions until they come out with the 21H1 version of windows 10 that I have noticed and ever since then trying to get a back up to work successfully has been nothing but a nightmare.  Now if I want to fix anything I have to do a clean install each time.  It's not the clean install of the O/S that's a problem it's the setting up of all my app's I use which can take up to 5 or 6 hours to set everything up.  With a system image in 6 to 8 minutes I was good to go.  I have noticed there is a Restore Partition as well but it's only 500MB in size. Next time I do a clean install I'll extend the Recovery Partition to 70GB. Then I should be able to backup my system to that partition so it should not interfere with the EFI Partition hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...