New Picture and Video Threads

TBG 150

I am still taking input from members on this new method. The CamCaps city planning commission meetings must be open for all to attend and to discuss issues.

I have my own reservations about slowing down comment traffic, but having breezed down the IIA&L pix thread today at full freeway speeds -- seeing nothing but a buttload of T&A -- the procedure of copying a picture reference to the Discussion section might improve traffic flow, rather than inhibit it. At least it keeps out the endless nested picture quotes and stupid inane comments. I'd like to hear more from our major pix posters -- K. Lane, BBSQ, Euromike, Hope, etc. They're what makes the pix sections work around here, anyway.

Sometimes a little town with dirt roads grows up and needs to pave the roads and install street signs and stop lights. That's life in the big city now, but we still need to keep our back country wild west flavor and traditions of uppityness. The transition requires trial and error and patience.

None of us would be here if we didn't want the best for Camcaps.

I am still taking input from members on this new method. The CamCaps city planning commission meetings must be open for all to attend and to discuss issues.

I have my own reservations about slowing down comment traffic, but having breezed down the IIA&L pix thread today at full freeway speeds -- seeing nothing but a buttload of T&A -- the procedure of copying a picture reference to the Discussion section might improve traffic flow, rather than inhibit it. At least it keeps out the endless nested picture quotes and stupid inane comments. I'd like to hear more from our major pix posters -- K. Lane, BBSQ, Euromike, Hope, etc. They're what makes the pix sections work around here, anyway.

Sometimes a little town with dirt roads grows up and needs to pave the roads and install street signs and stop lights. That's life in the big city now, but we still need to keep our back country wild west flavor and traditions of uppityness. The transition requires trial and error and patience.

None of us would be here if we didn't want the best for Camcaps.

Check the picture thread right now for the perfect reason why comments should stay!

In case it gets deleted too soon, here's the post from alexboy:

FESTIVALS AND TRADITIONS RUSSIAN Shadows Another method that requires imagination. Burning a crumpled sheet of paper on a saucer and then to project the shadow of the sheet on the wall using a candle. What does that shadow look like? It is for you to interpret ... Making a wish This method is an achievement: Prepare a sheet of paper and a pencil. By the time the clock starts to ring the twelve strokes of midnight, you must write the wish, burn sheet, put the ashes in the jar full of champagne and drink. If you are successful, the wish will come true. Courage!

This is posted below a pic of the girls doing something on the table that was a mystery to me.

Is this being deleted a good idea? Seriously? BTW, The pic poster 'liked' it!

I have been fairly vocal on the subject. I never minded people who commented on the pictures but the fact is that on several occasions recently it opened out to full on discussions which of course belong in separate threads. Moderators can deal with this in 2 ways, one remove particular discussions which get out of hand or just remove all posts which are without a picture. I am sure the latter is much less time consuming than the former and I much prefer how the picture threads are working now.

I don't find it much of hassle posting reactions to pictures in another thread (Quote, Cut, Open Discussion Thread, Reply, Paste, Post which is a lot less hassle than what we picture posters do) although it would be nice if there was an automatic shortcut so if you pressed quote then it would redirect to another thread but that is probably complicated and might lead to more confusion.

As I am not a poster of videos I am not sure it's my place to comment but it seems that video threads are less disrupted by discussion so I'm not sure the same strict rules need apply to them ... although once again you could end with a situation of having a couple of pages without link so maybe the need for a clean policy is nearly as great.

I have been fairly vocal on the subject. I never minded people who commented on the pictures but the fact is that on several occasions recently it opened out to full on discussions which of course belong in separate threads. Moderators can deal with this in 2 ways, one remove particular discussions which get out of hand or just remove all posts which are without a picture. I am sure the latter is much less time consuming than the former and I much prefer how the picture threads are working now.

I don't find it much of hassle posting reactions to pictures in another thread (Quote, Cut, Open Discussion Thread, Reply Paste, Post which is a lot less hassle than what we picture posters do) although it would be nice if there was an automatic shortcut so if you pressed quote then it would redirect to another thread but that is probably complicated and might lead to more confusion.

As I am not a poster of videos I am not sure it's my place to comment but it seems that video threads are less disrupted by discussion so I'm not sure the same strict rules need apply to them ... although once again you could end with a situation of having a couple of pages without link so maybe the need for a clean policy is nearly as great.

You may have saved me from a nervous breakdown BBsq69.

Am I right in thinking that by doing what you describe, you will get the same result in the comment thread as you would in the pics thread, i.e. pic with comment?

I am going to try that right now. If you find the site down for the next week, you know that I fucked it up!! :doh: :doh:

Thanks in advance.  :yes:

UPDATE!! IT WORKED!! :woohoo: I can sleep again!

You may have saved me from a nervous breakdown BBsq69.

Am I right in thinking that by doing what you describe, you will get the same result in the comment thread as you would in the pics thread, i.e. pic with comment?

I am going to try that right now. If you find the site down for the next week, you know that I fucked it up!! :doh: :doh:

Thanks in advance.  :yes:

UPDATE!! IT WORKED!! :woohoo: I can sleep again!

It's quite easy once you get the hang of it.  It may have been a bumpy road for a couple of days but the Majority have caught on now to how the Picture and Video Threads now operate. 

It's not perfect nothing ever is but I am still working on ways to make the process as easy as possible.

To All.

Everyone complains about conversations taking place in the picture and video threads.

StnCld316 created NEW picture and video threads for each tenants apartment in which you can place your PICTURES and VIDEOS.

ANY text placed in these threads that is not placed there by the original poster of the picture or video, WILL BE REMOVED.

Place conversations in the appropriate threads. Also put the proper pictures and videos in the proper threads. These will be removed also.

I love this approach however there are times where comments really help put the post in context.  It would be helpful if the original poster included clarifying texts with their images.  I imagine they don't include them because they think everyone is as familiar with the details as they are.

I don't know how much flexibility there is in the software CC is using.  If possible, a good solution would be to allow comments along with the image posting, but just include an icon to show that there are comments which you can view by clicking it.  Sort of the way Facebook handles comments on their mobile app.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the new way, but it does pose a problem for me.  I don't have a very fast internet connection (3mb) and some of the pages takes any where to a minute to 3 minutes to load because the pictures are huge and pictures are the only thing on the page.  I'm not a very patient individual when it comes to waiting on a page to load so I'll move on to the next subject when that happens.  With that said, it would be great to maybe some how limit the size of the uploaded picture.  I'm most appreciative to everyone that takes the time and opportunity to capture and upload the pictures.  Thanks!

The smaller the picture, the lower the quality so I would really be against this change. I usually post cropped pictures so I guess mine are usually a bit smaller but not everyone has the time or wants to do that. Most pictures of the full screen will already be reduced. If we had less pictures on the page that means less people view the pictures. I know this because if I post a picture and many pictures are posted (often by me) soon after then I receive less likes (sometimes half) for the ones on the old pages. This is quite a strong indication that less people are viewing them.

I like the new way, but it does pose a problem for me.  I don't have a very fast internet connection (3mb) and some of the pages takes any where to a minute to 3 minutes to load because the pictures are huge and pictures are the only thing on the page.  I'm not a very patient individual when it comes to waiting on a page to load so I'll move on to the next subject when that happens.  With that said, it would be great to maybe some how limit the size of the uploaded picture.  I'm most appreciative to everyone that takes the time and opportunity to capture and upload the pictures.  Thanks!

The smaller the picture, the lower the quality so I would really be against this change. I usually post cropped pictures so I guess mine are usually a bit smaller but not everyone has the time or wants to do that. Most pictures of the full screen will already be reduced. If we had less pictures on the page that means less people view the pictures. I know this because if I post a picture and many pictures are posted (often by me) soon after then I receive less likes (sometimes half) for the ones on the old pages. This is quite a strong indication that less people are viewing them.

That's the oddity of it, as I don't have problems loading you're pictures.... strangely Hope85 and Cool1365 are the ones that mostly creates the problem for me.... 

That's the oddity of it, as I don't have problems loading you're pictures.... strangely Hope85 and Cool1365 are the ones that mostly creates the problem for me....

The same with me. Hope and Euromike's pix load slow. But I don't worry too much about it. This is the slowest site I visit. The sheer size of it is huge. Break every section down and see what loads every time you click on the refresh button or change threads/topics.

The reason why Hope85 Pictures might take a little longer to load is because he uses a lot of gif images which are much larger in size than a regular picture.

A Picture is usually between 550kb to 1MB in size which should load quickly. Then you get a gif image which is close to 10MB in size will take a bit longer to load as it has to buffer a copy to your Temporary Internet Files before that gif will play. With being on 3MB internet explains the slowness for certain pictures such as gif images.

Time to call your ISP and get some additional Bandwidth added because 3MB is not all that quick. From the area I am from they call it Lite Speed which is the lowest speed available for ADSL, DSL or Cable Connections.