fooCam Dashboard // Monitor & capture multiple cams

LisaArai

Guest Squirrel

I downloaded mine from the official Ubuntu site. http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

It can be installed on virtually any box, but the DVD install is more user-friendly and less complicated. CD versions are available at Amazon for pretty cheap ($8-$16 USD) for really old machines.

I only did it because my hard-drive crashed on one of my laptops, the sys backup disks were corrupted, and I refuse to pay so much money for a new copy of Win7. By the time you load up the firewall, anti-malware and anti-virus programs, the system is bogged down, the processor runs hot, and the hard drive is constantly spinning itself into dust.

My battery-time doubled when I switched to Ubuntu from Win7, incidentally, and I have two other working Windows machines anyway.

Ubuntu 13.10 is being designed for multi-device (phone, desktop, etc) sync stuff, but it's not as stable as Ubuntu 12.04. Of these, there is a 32-bit version for Intel processors, and a 64-bit for AMD processors, and installing the wrong one will  lead to failure.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded mine from the official Ubuntu site. http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

It can be installed on virtually any box, but the DVD install is more user-friendly and less complicated. CD versions are available at Amazon for pretty cheap ($8-$16 USD) for really old machines.

I only did it because my hard-drive crashed on one of my laptops, the sys backup disks were corrupted, and I refuse to pay so much money for a new copy of Win7. By the time you load up the firewall, anti-malware and anti-virus programs, the system is bogged down, the processor runs hot, and the hard drive is constantly spinning itself into dust.

My battery-time doubled when I switched to Ubuntu from Win7, incidentally, and I have two other working Windows machines anyway.

Ubuntu 13.10 is being designed for multi-device (phone, desktop, etc) sync stuff, but it's not as stable as Ubuntu 12.04. Of these, there is a 32-bit version for Intel processors, and a 64-bit for AMD processors, and installing the wrong one will  lead to failure.

I would have to use the 64 Bit as I have an AMD 8 core 5.6 Mhz processor and 64 gig of memory

I looked at the web site.  Is it on OS? if so what do I do with win 7 on my laptop? The web site sates it will work with firefox what about chrome and gmail?  Could I trust UPS or FedEx to ship it to FrostbyFRost Min.

so Squirrel to install and set it up for me with out breaking it.?

Zorin OS 8.1 Core.  All you do is burn it to a DVD. Restart the computer boot from DVD  and run the live CD. It sets up no files and just makes a Virtual Disk and when done just remove the DVD from the drive reboot the computer  and your back to your regular OS with no formatting or lost files.

Guest Squirrel

I looked at the web site.  Is it on OS? if so what do I do with win 7 on my laptop? The web site sates it will work with firefox what about chrome and gmail?  Could I trust UPS or FedEx to ship it to FrostbyFRost Min.

so Squirrel to install and set it up for me with out breaking it.?

Ubuntu can be run within Windows, dual boot with Windows (it repartitions automatically), or can boot off a USB or DVD and run that way. Same with Macs.

Firefox is bundled with it, along with LibreOffice and pretty much all you need to start. It will run Chrome (12.04 will run Google Earth, etc., as Google is very Linux friendly) and a bunch of other browsers. Some applications are lacking; others are quite good; many are free. Won't run Microsoft proprietary stuff cuz MS hates Linux as much MS hates Apple.

Their are lots of distribs of Linux, but Ubuntu has worked hard to make it easy for non-techies to install programs & run.

Guest ww_watcher

I've been running Ubuntu for several years now and it is more stable than win? or MacOS?. The only things Ubuntu (or linux in general) can't do better than Win? or Mac? is when you start running into DRM issues like Silverlight, or playing movies via DVDs - although the DVD issue has been dealt with. The problem isn't with Linux, it is that it is free and none of the licensing fees have been paid as in windows or Mac. As Squirrel said There are several distros that package a specific set of apps that can turn any PC into an A/V machine using only a USB stick to run the linux OS. AND IT'S ALL FREE!

So If I install it to a stick then I run it off the stick from a warm or cold boot? and I can use my stick for both my laptop and desktop?  If all this is right.  What size stick?  Then download to desktop then install to stick? reboot with stick in slot?

Guest ww_watcher

This can work between platforms but you have to install it to a stick (or any USB drive) of sufficient size - such an 8GB thumb drive. I'll reply to this with a link to some choices and instructions.

Guest ww_watcher

This seems to be a good tutorial, even if you aren't familiar with running Linux.

http://rudd-o.com/linux-and-free-software/a-better-way-to-create-a-customized-ubuntu-live-usb-drive

Ubuntu seems to be the most user friendly distribution and I use Studio 64. If you are going want to play store bought DVDs you will need to install a third party set of libraries that are easy to find and come with instructions.

Here is a good place to start. It is a little overwhelming at first but a good view of what's available.

Guest ww_watcher

Also, and this very important, using an app called "WINE" you can install and run most windows apps in linux; and they usually run better. Mozilla (i.e. Firefox, Thunderbird, etc ) apps got their starts on UNIX machines and are usually packaged with Linux installs. Chrome runs well also. You can even run MS Internet Exploder though why someone would want to escapes me. You may have to install VLC player because it runs any video well but doesn't come with the install. It's still FREE. Xine is also good but may be a bit cumbersome to newbys.