Jane & Dick - General Chat Topic (2018)

Guest Legionaire
4 hours ago, Howard said:

Let me first say that I have no affiliation w/ CC or their Sysops.

I decided 3rd attachment when to the members forum for a couple reasons. In no particular order (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some)...

• I upload (share) a shitload of vids and pics on CC. A vid may average 70..80+ downloads (last I checked), yet maybe 10% of those who d/l the file say thanks.  It's not that I need validation. I derive no benefit from taking the time to prep each video, prepare a collage for those to see what they would d/l (and to those who don't have the bandwidth to d/l a file but can see what occurred via the collage). It's that most people don't have (what use to be) common courtesy.  Words like please, thank you, may I - they barely exist in this egocentric, entitlement societys. I often say in my posts "...you can thank me now" as a subconscious dig to those who, if not reminded, wouldn't think twice of saying thank you.
  • Entitlement. 3rd went to member's forum because so many of you feel entitled (and so many of you are cheap shmucks). The first two vids I posted in this forum are damn good (especially part 1). *I* wanted to make a statement and this is one way I felt would get some attention. And indirectly, 98% of anyone who d/l a file or pic I have ever posted visits CC regularly and can afford $20/year to be a member. $20/year is more than fair (it's damn cheap) to support a site you derive lots of benefit from.

I know anyone out there can u/l their own file, or take the file I u/l (it's been done many times before) and post in the general forum for all to enjoy. That's not my concern.  But primary reason for my action is the lack of a nice gesture of saying thank you.

Just say THANKS.

Whilst I agree, wholeheartedly, with your reasoning, I can't help feeling that you are being a little harsh on those of us that were brought up correctly and have always used our pleases and thank you's but it's your choice to make and you are exercising that right, good luck to you.

4 hours ago, Howard said:

I decided 3rd attachment when to the members forum for a couple reasons. In no particular order (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some)...

• I upload (share) a shitload of vids and pics on CC. A vid may average 70..80+ downloads (last I checked), yet maybe 10% of those who d/l the file say thanks.  It's not that I need validation. I derive no benefit from taking the time to prep each video, prepare a collage for those to see what they would d/l (and to those who don't have the bandwidth to d/l a file but can see what occurred via the collage). It's that most people don't have (what use to be) common courtesy.  Words like please, thank you, may I - they barely exist in this egocentric, entitlement societys. I often say in my posts "...you can thank me now" as a subconscious dig to those who, if not reminded, wouldn't think twice of saying thank you.
  • Entitlement. 3rd went to member's forum because so many of you feel entitled (and so many of you are cheap shmucks). The first two vids I posted in this forum are damn good (especially part 1). *I* wanted to make a statement and this is one way I felt would get some attention. And indirectly, 98% of anyone who d/l a file or pic I have ever posted visits CC regularly and can afford $20/year to be a member. $20/year is more than fair (it's damn cheap) to support a site you derive lots of benefit from.

I know anyone out there can u/l their own file, or take the file I u/l (it's been done many times before) and post in the general forum for all to enjoy. That's not my concern.  But primary reason for my action is the lack of a nice gesture of saying thank you.

Just say THANKS.

When I first became a paid member, a little more than two years ago, I had
a conversation about this exact subject with Stone. I wondered if I should
post a "Thank you" for everything I downloaded, positive comments, etc. He
said the accepted practice of giving a "like" for positive responses, comments,
what I downloaded, etc., was the preferred method of saying "thanks". I
figured the Forum Admin knew what he was talking about, so ever since then,
I have said "thank you" by giving a "like". Is that no longer enough?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Howard said:

Just say THANKS.

Hmmm - as another person that constantly donates to the group here and receives little thanks - I think of why I donate, and its NOT for the thank you, as you mention, yet your have taken an action that does not represent it....oh well, of course no biggy, your choice - but in a shared community nobody should ever expect a thank you - if you think your doing 'all the pulling', then stop and do something else..... psychologically speaking of course :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, letsdothis said:

When I first became a paid member, a little more than two years ago, I had
a conversation about this exact subject with Stone. I wondered if I should
post a "Thank you" for everything I downloaded, positive comments, etc. He
said the accepted practice of giving a "like" for positive responses, comments,
what I downloaded, etc., was the preferred method of saying "thanks". I
figured the Forum Admin knew what he was talking about, so ever since then,
I have said "thank you" by giving a "like". Is that no longer enough?

That's what I meant (thank you for clarifying). No need to write THANKS - just "like" the post - that tells me (and others who upload) it's appreciated.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, niininch said:

Hmmm - as another person that constantly donates to the group here and receives little thanks - I think of why I donate, and its NOT for the thank you, as you mention, yet your have taken an action that does not represent it....oh well, of course no biggy, your choice - but in a shared community nobody should ever expect a thank you - if you think your doing 'all the pulling', then stop and do something else..... psychologically speaking of course :)

Respectfully disagree. I sat down at a family dinner the other night. Seventeen of use and four people made various items (roast, quiche, dessert, etc). Just because its family at the table doesn't mean you don't say THANK YOU for the work they put into preparing a delicious meal (or hosting the dinner); which brings good conversation and a good time by all. 

Same premise. No matter the situation, if you benefited from something someone else has done, you say (or show) your appreciation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Legionaire said:

Whilst I agree, wholeheartedly, with your reasoning, I can't help feeling that you are being a little harsh on those of us that were brought up correctly and have always used our pleases and thank you's but it's your choice to make and you are exercising that right, good luck to you.

Au contrair (sp?). If you have common sense and do the right thing, you know it doesn't apply to you.