Finer Things in Life -- Barbecue stories

I might just have to add a bit of Geordie culture to this thread one day with some fine dining banter...and curries of course. That's my speciality. Well you've gotta look for something hot and spicy to warm you up where I live when you get about 2 BBQ weather days a year...😏

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nagachilli2 said:

I might just have to add a bit of Geordie culture to this thread one day with some fine dining banter...and curries of course. That's my speciality. Well you've gotta look for something hot and spicy to warm you up where I live when you get about 2 BBQ weather days a year...😏

Know the feeling😥

• Like 1

Does it count that my grille is under a covered screened porch? Cold, rain, heat, I don't care. I'm going to eat regardless so it may as well taste good. 

Last night it was raining like hell, the was wind blowing and there I was, standing in front of the grille with a fat, juicy Sirloin searing away. 

HFB...Grille mats are good for anything that you don't want falling through the grates, no matter what. I like chunks of cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, water chestnuts, even bamboo shoots. You can scatter them over the heat or wrap them in aluminum foil with your favorite seasonings. Shrimp, I like either on the mat or on skewers depending on the size. Jumbo's seem to cook down to a 2 bite size. Brushed with butter and fresh garlic, they'll keep anyone away from you. Scatter in onion petals with your veggies. Dream up what you can. It's all good.

Thes...None of it is truly work, it's a labor of love for the results. My wife watches me run back and forth always looking in on the food unless I know what it takes and leaving the lid closed and monitoring the temperature gauge. 

2 hours ago, TBG 150 said:

Does it count that my grille is under a covered screened porch? Cold, rain, heat, I don't care. I'm going to eat regardless so it may as well taste good. 

Last night it was raining like hell, the was wind blowing and there I was, standing in front of the grille with a fat, juicy Sirloin searing away. 

HFB...Grille mats are good for anything that you don't want falling through the grates, no matter what. I like chunks of cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, water chestnuts, even bamboo shoots. You can scatter them over the heat or wrap them in aluminum foil with your favorite seasonings. Shrimp, I like either on the mat or on skewers depending on the size. Jumbo's seem to cook down to a 2 bite size. Brushed with butter and fresh garlic, they'll keep anyone away from you. Scatter in onion petals with your veggies. Dream up what you can. It's all good.

Thes...None of it is truly work, it's a labor of love for the results. My wife watches me run back and forth always looking in on the food unless I know what it takes and leaving the lid closed and monitoring the temperature gauge. 

Let's cut to the chase here,my taste buds don't give a fuck if it is snowing,a class piece of sirloin done the way you want with all the accompaniments undercover,outside,screened off wherever just enjoy.

Oh nearly forgot!

Washed down with a pint of Belhaven best 🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, TBG 150 said:

HFB...Grille mats are good for anything that you don't want falling through the grates, no matter what. I like chunks of cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, water chestnuts, even bamboo shoots. You can scatter them over the heat or wrap them in aluminum foil with your favorite seasonings. . . .

I have never met a fresh vegetable that cannot be grilled, and many potatoes and others are happy when wrapped in aluminum foil in a water smoker. For corn, leave the husk on, soak it in ice water, then roll it around or water smoke it with meats. It doesn't care. Vegetables don't care. They're dead, and a little fire won't hurt them one bit and ensures that they won't be boring as hell -- which many of them usually are when boiled on a stove.

Protect your reputation: It's best to tell your guests how difficult it is to do such masterful culinary work like barbecuing. Is it difficult? You betcha. You let them know how difficult it is. Have you ever smoked a store-bought ham improperly? Of course not, but only because you are a master. A novice will just screw it up. Express to them that barbecuing even ham is extremely miserable work, requiring years of practice to learn the craft, and hours for proper execution. They should not try this at home. Only masters like us can create a meal such as we can do.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Look, my friends, it's going to be spring (at least in what's left of the "free" world), and I'm interested in what you master chefs do to make perfect baby-back ribs. So have at it. This thread should not perish from the face of the Earth.

ribs.jpeg

more smokin' hot ribsg.jpg

Edited by Foamy T. Squirrel
More smokin' hot rib testimonial pix added.
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure which ribs I'd like to nibble on more, but I'm leaning toward the ones on the grille. These days I'd get a lot more happiness from them.

I did however make a pork roast on the rotisserie the other day. 

IMG_20220206_141947934.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, TBG 150 said:

I'm not sure which ribs I'd like to nibble on more, but I'm leaning toward the ones on the grille. These days I'd get a lot more happiness from them.

I did however make a pork roast on the rotisserie the other day. 

IMG_20220206_141947934.jpg

That look's good Big Guy but i'd like to have her  "Rump " roast as well.  😉

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

It seems most people cut the feet out of the pictures. I'm used to it. 

Hmmm! I think I'm going to cook a rack of Low-N-Slo, ribs on the grille for dinner. These pictures made me hungry for them. They can sit out there for about 5 hours while I lounge in the pool in the 100 degree heat and humidity. Damn, it's brutal out there. I'm sure Tito's will help me out staying cool. My wife told me I was allowed one drink per day, so I bought a quart sized insulated tumbler. 😆