Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #1

itsme

Important is to help the ones in need quickly and without the bureaucracy. I just read the Czech customs are holding back a lot of medical equipment from China for Italy because it does not fulfill some regulations...

Fuck it. Let it through... What harm can it cause?? This is just stupid. When the UK needs help from the EU we should do all we can and don't give a fuck if they are member or not.

The poor and sanctioned Cuba for example is sending doctors to Italy. I hope we remember this when the crisis is over and show our gratitude to them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Guess that's also something general.. Here they are trying for a long time to pass the message: "This is not only the other problems"
That's one of the big problems that happened in Italy when their numbers were quite low and nothing like this was even predictable in the worst nightmares. 

There'll probably be a a lot more deaths here in the UK attributed to the fact the pubs are shut and the bloke can't get away from the mrs for a few hours and go sink a few beers...😏

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, happyone said:
WWW.WORLDOMETERS.INFO

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, and death toll by country due to the COVID 19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases...

It is not how many total cases or deaths (of course that is important) , but look at the total cases per 1M in population and also one could calculate the total deaths per 1M --overall the US is still

a very low number in comparison to other countries.  

I wish them it will stay this way. 

Just now, nagachilli2 said:

There'll probably be a a lot more deaths here in the UK attributed to the fact the pubs are shut and the bloke can't get away from the mrs for a few hours and go sink a few beers...😏

Or the birth rate in nine months will reach some new highs 😉

2 hours ago, Robwin said:

Whatever any one does there will always be ones who think they know better. Many think closing schools is the best thing, maybe but then you have all the kids running everywhere possibly making it worse. Whether it be the right action or not others will always try to find fault. Schools are closed in europe but the figures are still going sky high. Until there is a proven vaccine it will just continue to get worse I fear.

not so much a vaccine in the short term, but a treatment or medication is more important IMO

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nagachilli2 said:

Now that is what I call an educated response--always helps speaking from first hand experience :wink:

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, happyone said:

not so much a vaccine in the short term, but a treatment or medication is more important IMO

Yes, sadly a vaccine's probably a year away...

But guys, we're all in this together and it's not a competition as to who has the least deaths or the best containment plan in place. Each country is trying to handle a scary surreal situation best they can.
Plus there are many factors why, for instance, A has had more deaths than B...

1 think that puzzles me a little though...We're told that it will possibly be months before we turn this thing around here in the UK...How come China appears to have done it in double quick time...:dodgy:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, nagachilli2 said:

How come China appears to have done it in double quick time...

1. With the strictest restrictions and the strongest punishments when you violate them. There was or still is the death penalty when you violate the quarantine regulations. 
  2. China as a authoritarian regime has its citizens under surveillance all the time. They used drones to tell people to go home and basically scare them of the streets.
  3. China always was good in doing things fast. (They built large hospitals in less than a week.) 
  4. They have large production capacities they can use to produce medical stuff. 

Now the question remains is how much of our freedom we are willing to sacrifice to get through this situation? Me for myself I do not want Chinese regulations and punishments here...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nagachilli2 said:

Yes, sadly a vaccine's probably a year away...

But guys, we're all in this together and it's not a competition as to who has the least deaths or the best containment plan in place. Each country is trying to handle a scasry surreal situation best they can.
Plus there are many factors why, for instance, A has had more deaths than B...

1 think that puzzles me a little though...We're told here that it will possibly be months before we turn this thing around here in the UK...How come China appears to have done it in double quick time...:dodgy:

I think it's because of the political regime there that when they went into lockdown no one dare set a foot outside of their property therefore containment of the virus was more effective.Living in a democracy we don't expect to be told so forcefully what to do and this to me is what is slowing our recovery.China raced to lockdown and we are simply strolling towards it IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jabbath1987 said:
  1. With the strictest restrictions and the strongest punishments when you violate them. There was or still is the death penalty when you violate the quarantine regulations. 
  2. China as a authoritarian regime has its citizens under surveillance all the time. They used drones to tell people to go home and basically scare them of the streets.
  3. China always was good in doing things fast. (They built large hospitals in less than a week.) 
  4. They have large production capacities they can use to produce medical stuff. 

Now the question remains is how much of our freedom we are willing to sacrifice to get through this situation? Me for myself I do not want Chinese regulations and punishments here...

..and do we believe their figures?...:dodgy:

• Like 3