Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #1

itsme

13 minutes ago, moos54 said:

same for me 

my windows are open but it's hard to not go outside with this sun rrrrrrr,

i will do a short tour later because we are not authorized to stay long time outside and not very far of the house

7 hours ago, Dave 27 said:

I receive a facetime message on my phone yesterday from one of my granddaughter's telling me(and Margaret)she was on her way with toilet rolls and paracetamol.Just one huge gesture from our wonderful family.

P.S.She was also taking some stuff to an elderly couple who are neighbours of hers.👍👍

Just thought I would share.

She sounds like a wonderful person. How old if you don't mind me asking? I'm sure some of you rubbed off on her. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what is on my mind today. God Bless this great country and all those who made my life easier. It is my hope that everyone appreciate all those who gave so much so we could live such a wonderful life. I have lived a great life and I want to say thank you those who made it possible so that I would have such a good life.

I talked with a man today, an 80+ year old man. I asked him if there was anything I can get him while this Coronavirus scare was gripping America.
He simply smiled, looked away and said:
"Let me tell you what I need! I need to believe, at some point, this country my generation fought for... I need to believe this nation we handed safely to our children and their children...
I need to know this generation will quit being a bunch of sissies...that they respect what they've been given...that they've earned what others sacrificed for."

I wasn't sure where the conversation was going or if it was going anywhere at all. So, I sat there, quietly observing.

"You know, I was a little boy during WWII. Those were scary days. We didn't know if we were going to be speaking English, German or Japanese at the end of the war. There was no certainty, no guarantees like Americans enjoy today.
And no home went without sacrifice or loss. Every house, up and down every street, had someone in harm's way. Maybe their Daddy was a soldier, maybe their son was a sailor, maybe it was an uncle. Sometimes it was the whole damn family...fathers, sons, uncles...
Having someone, you love, sent off to war...it wasn't less frightening than it is today. It was scary as Hell. If anything, it was more frightening. We didn't have battle front news. We didn't have email or cellphones. You sent them away and you hoped...you prayed. You may not hear from them for months, if ever. Sometimes a mother was getting her son's letters the same day Dad was comforting her over their child's death.
And we sacrificed. You couldn't buy things. Everything was rationed. You were only allowed so much milk per month, only so much bread, toilet paper. EVERYTHING was restricted for the war effort. And what you weren't using, what you didn't need, things you threw away, they were saved and sorted for the war effort. My generation was the original recycling movement in America.
And we had viruses back then...serious viruses. Things like polio, measles, and such. It was nothing to walk to school and pass a house or two that was quarantined. We didn't shut down our schools. We didn't shut down our cities. We carried on, without masks, without hand sanitizer. And do you know what? We persevered. We overcame. We didn't attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today."
He slowly looked away again. Maybe I saw a small tear in the corner of his eye. Then he continued:
"Today's kids don't know sacrifice. They think a sacrifice is not having coverage on their phone while they freely drive across the country. Today's kids are selfish and spoiled. In my generation, we looked out for our elders. We helped out with single moms who's husbands were either at war or dead from war. Today's kids rush the store, buying everything they can...no concern for anyone but themselves. It's shameful the way Americans behave these days. None of them deserve the sacrifices their granddads made.
So, no I don't need anything. I appreciate your offer but, I know I've been through worse things than this virus. But maybe I should be asking you, what can I do to help you? Do you have enough pop to get through this, enough steak? Will you be able to survive with 113 channels on your tv?"

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own...now humbled by a man in his 80's. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in my rear.
I talked to a man today. A real man. An American man from an era long gone and forgotten. We will never understand the sacrifices. We will never fully earn their sacrifices. But we should work harder to learn about them..learn from them...to respect them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ashleyxyz said:

She sounds like a wonderful person. How old if you don't mind me asking? I'm sure some of you rubbed off on her. 

Hi Ash,Nicole is 22 yrs.old and like our other 3 grandchildren she is a gem.My oldest grandson(22 yrs. Old) and partner are going to make myself and Margaret greatgrandparents in August so we are really chuffed with that,however Charley will have to be wrapped in cotton wool during this ongoing disaster.!!!!!Oh and thanks for the wee compliment.👍

You, Guy, and all your family and friends stay safe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Robwin said:

Still waiting to go as all the selfish bastards in our town must obviously be shitting well :biggrin: Gives a new meaning to being left in the shit eh ::)

Shelves.jpg  0

That's mild to what I think of these thoughtless,selfish people pal.😬😬

9 hours ago, Cody0526 said:
WWW.DAILYKOS.COM

So Republicans all over the country are either being racist about the “Chinese virus,” or still pretending it doesn’t matter. 

If the seasonal flu was given a name, and the statistics were tracked and broadcast by the media like the Coronavirus--the world would be in constant quarantine. 

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Here's How COVID-19 Compares to Past Outbreaks

WWW.HEALTHLINE.COM

COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, isn’t the first threatening disease that’s surged around the world — nor will it be the last. Between influenza pandemics, like the outbreaks in 1918 and 2009, SARS...

Excerts from the article

Here, we’ll take a look at how COVID-19 stacks up to other major outbreaks so far:

Seasonal flu

The flu strikes every year, but no two seasons are exactly the same.

Because strains mutate each year, it can be hard to predict what will hit. Unlike COVID-19, we have effective vaccines and antiviral medications that can help prevent and reduce the severity of the flu.

Additionally, many people have residual immunity to the flu from years past, as our bodies have seen the flu before.

We don’t have any immunity to COVID-19, and it appears to be more contagious and fatal than the flu so far, but this could very well change as we learn more.

• Key symptoms: fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue
  • Global cases annually: 9 percentTrusted Source of the population, or about 1 billion infections (up to 5 million of which are severe)
  • Global deaths annually: between 291,000 to 646,000Trusted Source; death rate around 0.1 percent
  • Transmission: spreads through respiratory droplets; each diagnosed person passes it to 1.3 persons
  • Most affected groups: older adults and people with compromised immune systems
  • Treatment available: antiviral medications (Tamiflu, Relenza, Rapivab, Xofluza) to reduce duration and severity of flu
  • Vaccines available: there are many vaccine optionsTrusted Source available that provide immunity against multiple strains of influenza
  •  
  • Back in 2009, a new type of flu — an H1N1 strain — popped up and people panicked because we didn’t have a vaccine and the novel strain was spreading fast.

Like COVID-19, there was no immunity at the start of the outbreak. We did have antivirals to facilitate recovery, and by the end of 2009, we had a vaccine which — combined with higher levels of immunity — would provide protection in future flu seasons.

Still, it claimed over 12,000 lives in the United States.

• Key symptoms: fever, chills, cough, body aches
  • First detection: January 2009 in Mexico; April 2009Trusted Source in United States
  • Global cases: about 24 percent of global population (1.64 billion) , 60.8 million U.S. cases
  • Global deaths: over 284,000; 12,469 in the United States; death rate was .02 percent
  • Most affected groups: children had the highest rates; 47 percentTrusted Source of children between 5 and 19 developed symptoms compared to 11 percent of people ages 65 and up
  • Treatment available: antiviralsTrusted Source (oseltamivir and zanamivir); most people recovered without complications
  • Vaccine available: H1N1 vaccine research started April 2009 and a vaccine became available December 2009
  • End of pandemic: August 2010

The bottom line

COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, isn’t the first threatening disease that’s surged around the world — nor will it be the last.

But it is the first that has caused this type of daily media coverage and hype, world panic, individual and economic hardships and sanctions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1