Leora, Malia General Chat Topic #50 2020 July

Guest Slipper Guyquad

2 minutes ago, EyesOnly said:

I do not have the courage to ask that question of someone with “quad” as a part of his name. Suppose it stands for quadriplegic? My bad...... I guess that is the person who started the post.

I was asking that of Gomer and nobody else...

Just now, EyesOnly said:

However, that could still be the case. Bit of a harsh question.

You say harsh, I say fair.  A person could clean tables in a restaurant or pick up enough aluminum cans in a few months to support a yearly subscription to RLC if they really felt the desire too.

9 minutes ago, HarleyFatboy said:

Does something prevent you from finding a low income job?  I know you can make up to $12,000 to $16,000 with a part time job and it doesn't affect your social security.  Just curious is all...

Yes.  I have a disability that prevents me from being on my feet for very long at a time.  My service in the Marines took out both heels.  They repaired them and discharged me with a disability rating just big enough to get me a break on my property taxes but not enough to get a disability check past the first two years after my discharge. 

Just now, gomer said:

Yes.  I have a disability that prevents me from being on my feet for very long at a time.  My service in the Marines took out both heels.  They repaired them and discharged me with a disability rating just big enough to get me a break on my property taxes but not enough to get a disability check past the first two years after my discharge. 

OK, I'm sorry to hear this and maybe I shouldn't have asked but I couldn't help myself.  Please forgive me and once again, thanks for your service!

1 minute ago, HarleyFatboy said:

You say harsh, I say fair.  A person could clean tables in a restaurant or pick up enough aluminum cans in a few months to support a yearly subscription to RLC if they really felt the desire too.

The internet is my lifeline to the world, so I consider it essential.  Air conditioning and heating take a back seat and I really can't remember the last time I turned either of them on.  I ditched the TV 10 years ago.  I don't feel like I've missed a thing without the TV.   Thankfully, I have no debts or I would be singing a different tune.  I put maybe 10 miles a month on my truck, so gasoline is not a problem. I don't eat out and prepare my own meals cheaply at home.  Staples like dried beans and potatoes make up a large part of my diet.  I make my own bread in a 25 year old bread machine for about a dollar loaf.  It's tight as a gnat's ass stretched over a rain barrel, but I (like the Dude) will abide.  I have a little sister who lives in another town.  We last saw each other 12 years ago at my mother's funeral, but we talk on the phone two or three times a week.  

Now you know more about me than just about anyone on the planet. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Earl said:

Yes, it was another long night without Leora. Now there will probably be the wildest speculation again. So in my opinion she won't go to a job, unless a meeting with her boyfriend is called work. For my part, I think it's good that she goes out and has fun. It's just a shame Malia comes a little short, but I think that they have certainly agreed. Each of the two also needs certain private time. Now for me it is actually the beginning of the end with Leora. I think that it will not be long remains with RLC. If it turns out otherwise I would be very surprised, but also pleased. Whatever happens, we must all accept it. There will be a life without Leora (even without Malia).
Let's enjoy the time as long as both are still there

The sooner the better I say. Leora should get along with her life. Her fan club will still be here waiting if she went AWOL for an entire week. I just hope Malia gets a shot at another apartment. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gomer said:

The internet is my lifeline to the world, so I consider it essential.  Air conditioning and heating take a back seat and I really can't remember the last time I turned either of them on.  I ditched the TV 10 years ago.  I don't feel like I've missed a thing without the TV.   Thankfully, I have no debts or I would be singing a different tune.  I put maybe 10 miles a month on my truck, so gasoline is not a problem. I don't eat out and prepare my own meals cheaply at home.  Staples like dried beans and potatoes make up a large part of my diet.  I make my own bread in a 25 year old bread machine for about a dollar loaf.  It's tight as a gnat's ass stretched over a rain barrel, but I (like the Dude) will abide.  I have a little sister who lives in another town.  We last saw each other 12 years ago at my mother's funeral, but we talk on the phone two or three times a week.  

Thanks for sharing but wouldn't it be better to PM each other?

4 minutes ago, gomer said:

The Dude abides....great movie!!!  I'm sorry for your hardships which came at the cost of keeping America free!!  You are right about the TV thing, it's for shit these days!!  Thanks for sharing a small but intimate part of your life with this forum!!!  I myself, am in kinda the same boat.  I have a bad heart which prevents me from being on my feet to long.  Whenever I go somewhere I always have to carry a portable chair along with me to enable me to sit down.  I can't stay in the heat but for a few minutes a day as it takes it's toll on me big time!  On the 4th of July I went to my daughters house with my son to see her, her husband and my grandkids, where BBQ was being prepared and the fireworks were taken care of.  While everyone was in the backyard enjoying the pool, I was in my chair in the dining room communicating with them threw and open window.  You talk about a Debbie downer moment...that was surely it!!  Luckily for me I have a very loving and caring family and they understand my predicament.  I grew up in the great outdoors and have been an avid outdoorsman for my entire life and when I go hunting and fishing now I have to sit down to do it.  Bowhunting was my passion but I gave that up several years ago when I noticed I just couldn't stand for any length of time (should have been my first clue).  I live alone after the passing of my wife and things can become quite difficult for me as well so I fully understand where you are coming from!!  Thanks for sharing your side of your story!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, gomer said:

Thank you for your service. As a veteran w/out a disability, yet VA Healthcare..... I understand your plight.

Edited by EyesOnly
  • Like 2