Nina & Kira (2020) Part #7

hs6127

26 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

Hot Water Pipe Bursts Underneath Bus

Okay, that kind of explains it, I figure the infrastructure of Peter is A LOT older than in brand new 'Merica, even though we get our share of sinkholes, main breaks and whatnot, and Pootey Poot hasn't spent the rubles to improve Peter.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, sturmchaser said:

Okay, that kind of explains it, I figure the infrastructure of Peter is A LOT older than in brand new 'Merica, even though we get our share of sinkholes, main breaks and whatnot, and Pootey Poot hasn't spent the rubles to improve Peter.  

The only way one can avoid the hot water dilemma is move into a complex that has it's own boiler units for heat and hot water. I would imagine moving into one of those places would be like staying at the Ritz for a week.  Can be a very costly excursion. It would likely cost Russians Trillions to overhaul the whole watermain system. That has been life in parts of Russia for many decades.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

The only way one can avoid the hot water dilemma is move into a complex that has it's own boiler units for heat and hot water. I would imagine moving into one of those places would be like staying at the Ritz for a week.  Can be a very costly excursion. It would liely cost Russians Trillions to overhaul the whole watermain system. That's been life in parts of Russia for many decades.

Bummer dude, a big MINUS in my consideration to move to Peter LOL.  Thankfully I live in the good ole USA.  What our girls live day to day would be considered "roughing it" to some people I know.  No wonder they seem so tough.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

In Russia, the district heating system still supplies almost three quarters of households.

Every year, every inhabitant experiences a hot water break of about two weeks during the summer. The reason? The maintenance of the municipal piping system: "This work allows us to prepare for the new heating season, to test the pipes and to monitor the ageing of the pipes," explains the St. Petersburg municipal heating company. Heating, and more generally services related to housing, is considered in Russia as a basic need, that's why water and electricity are very cheap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, peterb said:

In Russia, the district heating system still supplies almost three quarters of households.

Every year, every inhabitant experiences a hot water break of about two weeks during the summer. The reason? The maintenance of the municipal piping system: "This work allows us to prepare for the new heating season, to test the pipes and to monitor the ageing of the pipes," explains the St. Petersburg municipal heating company. Heating, and more generally services related to housing, is considered in Russia as a basic need, that's why water and electricity are very cheap.

Excellent answer, thank you. 

I didn't dig deep into it (no pun intended), but in the time it was build district heating had one major advantage : it is far safer than a gas network. Another advantage is: Russia can be freaking cold, haha. 

I understood that the system in St.Ptersburg is unique in it being a open system. One taps directly from the main piping. Thus no heat exchangers in your house/apartment block.

Well Russia is not the only city with district heating. We all know the atmospheric scenes in New York movies with some steam escaping the sidewalk vents.💭

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bigmac18 said:

Excellent answer, thank you. 

I didn't dig deep into it (no pun intended), but in the time it was build district heating had one major advantage : it is far safer than a gas network. Another advantage is: Russia can be freaking cold, haha. 

I understood that the system in St.Ptersburg is unique in it being a open system. One taps directly from the main piping. Thus no heat exchangers in your house/apartment block.

Well Russia is not the only city with district heating. We all know the atmospheric scenes in New York movies with some steam escaping the sidewalk vents.💭

In NYC it is steam that they generate and it is used for heating.  It is too hot to use for hot water.

The Russian Systems are hot water which is more efficient, but require circulation pumps whereas steam does not.

I posted this earlier in the Videos section:

WWW.TRIPSAVVY.COM

During summer in Russia, hot water service is temporarily shut off for a few weeks to private residences. Here's a guide for travelers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1