Mail from VH informing/Forcing us to changeour password.!!!!

1 hour ago, StnCld316 said:

They don't know your password.  When it's in a secured database a password only appears as ************

That was my whole point,how would they know if your password is safe or not? Total bollocks.

1 minute ago, Robwin said:

That was my whole point,how would they know if your password is safe or not? Total bollocks.

The database is secure and safe.  It's no different than making a password for doing online banking. Changing a password is not that big of a deal.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

The database is secure and safe.  It's no different than making a password for doing online banking. Changing a password is not that big of a deal.

I agree but VH should have no idea of what our passwords are so how can they decide if our passwords are safe or not? That was why I said total bollocks. And all that crap in their mail about using latin letters, yet another load of bollocks. In spite of that I have changed mine just to please their stupid minds.

23 minutes ago, Robwin said:

I agree but VH should have no idea of what our passwords are so how can they decide if our passwords are safe or not? That was why I said total bollocks. And all that crap in their mail about using latin letters, yet another load of bollocks. In spite of that I have changed mine just to please their stupid minds.

You can see of what a password consists even when you don't see the actual word. 

For example when you store "Robwin" in a database it can tell me it starts with a capital latin letter, followed by five lower case latin letters. But of course I don't know the name is "Robwin" 

35 minutes ago, Robwin said:

VHTV does not know what your passwords are.  That's why there's a database.  A database see's passwords as ********** which is encrypted.  It's the same here on Cam Caps we don't know what members passwords are. 

Latin letters are nothing other than Uppercase (T) or Lowercase (t) lettering and some numbers and a symbol such as !#?/\  may be required depending on what the database wants required by security settings.  All encrypted databases are 128 or 256 bit which is very secure. If a Website has a Padlock at the top of the Browser in a locked position before the URL means the site is secure. If a website becomes unsecure a warning will always pop up saying the site in not secure and most do not allow further access until their security is updated which is usually caused by an expired SSL Certificate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jabbath1987 said:

You can see of what a password consists even when you don't see the actual word. 

For example when you store "Robwin" in a database it can tell me it starts with a capital latin letter, followed by five lower case latin letters. But of course I don't know the name is "Robwin" 

Ok Einstein if you say so :biggrin: but then it's probably all relative :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

VHTV does not know what your passwords are.  That's why there's a database.  A database see's passwords as ********** which is encrypted.  It's the same here on Cam Caps we don't know what members passwords are. 

That is my whole point so how they have got the nerve to decide whether our paswords are safe or not? The answer is they can't which makes their whole email ridiculous, or in my words total bollocks.

All they had to say was to advise people to change their passwords regulary and not try and give a load of otherwise stupid irrelevant advice. Also advising on using latin letters lol which all which was needed to say was to use a mixture of upper & lower case letters and numbers.

17 minutes ago, Robwin said:

That is my whole point so how they have got the nerve to decide whether our paswords are safe or not? The answer is they can't which makes their whole email ridiculous, or in my words total bollocks.

All they had to say was to advise people to change their passwords regulary and not try and give a load of otherwise stupid irrelevant advice. Also advising on using latin letters lol which all which was needed to say was to use a mixture of upper & lower case letters and numbers.

It is what it is and people will just have to comply with what they want. If one doesn't comply they just won't be able to log-in to the Website until the necessary changes are made to their accounts on the date specified.  It's straight forward and most should not have any issues. The current passwords are safe.  They have just updated to stronger security measures which require these changes to be made. The stronger the database the less likely chance of any Hacker compromising their Website. Some websites go into great detail explaining and some other websites will keep the message short and sweet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

It is what it is and people will just have to comply with what they want. If one doesn't comply they just won't be able to log-in to the Website until the necessary changes are made to their accounts on the date specified.  It's straight forward and most should not have any issues. The current passwords are safe.  They have just updated to stronger security measures which require these changes to be made. The stronger the database the less likely chance of any Hacker compromising their Website. Some websites go into great detail explaining and some other websites will keep the message short and sweet. 

I agree with you but you are still not appreciating my point but nevermind.👍

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Robwin said:

That is my whole point so how they have got the nerve to decide whether our paswords are safe or not?

The longer a password is and the more different letters and numbers it has the safer it is. Simple. 
Examples:

qwerty - very unsafe
car - very unsafe
Simplicity - still very unsafe as it can be easily find out with a brute force attack using a dictionary
Robwin - unsafe as it is related to your username (Talking of the CC username)
Simplicity56905 - better but not good as it still can be related to the original word 
T#NQ$JD%z6789(? - very safe. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Robwin said:

Also advising on using latin letters lol which all which was needed to say was to use a mixture of upper & lower case letters and numbers.

It was not. So people know from other countries they can't use cyrillic, chinese, or arabic letters.
For example this is not allowed: Робвин

8 minutes ago, jabbath1987 said:

The longer a password is and the more different letters and numbers it has the safer it is. Simple. 
Examples:

qwerty - very unsafe
car - very unsafe
Simplicity - still very unsafe as it can be easily find out with a brute force attack using a dictionary
Robwin - unsafe as it is related to your username (Talking of the CC username)
Simplicity56905 - better but not good as it still can be related to the original word 
T#NQ$JD%z6789(? - very safe. 

You are preaching to the converted Jabs and most would be of the same opinion no doubt. Your very safe one is good yes but one would never remember the bloody thing 😁😁😁

Most high security sites would have a 2 stage system anyway.