Naga's Kitchen Part #2

nagachilli2

Ok guys...been really quite here for a while, but I'm sure you're all still consuming food...😏

This is one for any US guys here...

What is the point of GRITS?...

I'm watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and the presenter guy with the strange beard....I think he's actually called Guy, is eating them...

When in Florida with out friends 5 years ago...our friend had grits as part of her breakfast...I had a try and it was fucking horrible!! Like tasteless wet tasteless porridge! It's 1 of those foods that tastes as bad as it's very name suggests...grits!

Have we got any US guys here to tell me I'm wrong?

• Like 1

I can try and shed some light on it all. Grits are the very center of a corn kernel, or the grit. They can be prepared in a variety of ways. If not properly fully cooked, it can be like eating a wet tasteless porridge. I for one like them, but cannot manage to eat porridge or oatmeal. I like them a little on the soupy side with salt, pepper and butter. 

My wife being a Southern girl puts scrambled eggs in hers. To her it kills the taste of the eggs! 😄 While some true Southerners like to put Red Eye gravy on them. These are the same folks that eat banana pudding. 😕

I can tell you one thing, don't let them dry out in the saucepan, or you'll be better off to just throw it away. Cured concrete would be easier to remove. But, they were a very inexpensive way to put some type of nutrition into you body and were eaten mainly by those with very little money. They provide a starch or carbohydrate and can cheaply give you energy when you have nothing else to eat. It's the same along the lines of oatmeal. Just a simple waste by-product of corn.

The worse part is getting the damned little things out of your teeth.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TBG 150 said:

I can try and shed some light on it all. Grits are the very center of a corn kernel, or the grit. They can be prepared in a variety of ways. If not properly fully cooked, it can be like eating a wet tasteless porridge. I for one like them, but cannot manage to eat porridge or oatmeal. I like them a little on the soupy side with salt, pepper and butter. 

My wife being a Southern girl puts scrambled eggs in hers. To her it kills the taste of the eggs! 😄 While some true Southerners like to put Red Eye gravy on them. These are the same folks that eat banana pudding. 😕

I can tell you one thing, don't let them dry out in the saucepan, or you'll be better off to just throw it away. Cured concrete would be easier to remove. But, they were a very inexpensive way to put some type of nutrition into you body and were eaten mainly by those with very little money. They provide a starch or carbohydrate and can cheaply give you energy when you have nothing else to eat. It's the same along the lines of oatmeal. Just a simple waste by-product of corn.

The worse part is getting the damned little things out of your teeth.

Thx for the info...you're not selling it to me 🤣

On 5/22/2021 at 10:37 PM, nagachilli2 said:

It sounds great...What diet's that again?...:biggrin:. I love a good chicken wing or 20...!

We bought a bread maker a coupla weeks ago...It's brill! You just measure the ingredients out, hoy them in, press a coupla buttons and away you go. You can even watch it through the viewing window. 3 or 4 hours later you have a great loaf of warm bread!...That was £49.95...and totally worth it 👍

Bought a breadmaker years ago when it was the in thing, used it for a while using all the flavoured recipes you could think of and home made ones but after a while the fad wears off and it joins all the other fads in the bottom cupboard never to be seen again :biggrin:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nagachilli2 said:

Ok guys...been really quite here for a while, but I'm sure you're all still consuming food...😏

This is one for any US guys here...

What is the point of GRITS?...

I'm watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and the presenter guy with the strange beard....I think he's actually called Guy, is eating them...

When in Florida with out friends 5 years ago...our friend had grits as part of her breakfast...I had a try and it was fucking horrible!! Like tasteless wet tasteless porridge! It's 1 of those foods that tastes as bad as it's very name suggests...grits!

Have we got any US guys here to tell me I'm wrong?

TBG is correct. But to expand further; grits (corn) are an American staple food (as the continent not the country). The variety of products that can be made from corn are endless, it's like rice is in Asia. When made properly, they can be delicious. I buy fresh grits from the mill in the fall and store them in the freezer. Cook them up and add lots of butter and black pepper. Serve with sunny side up eggs and a slice of country ham. Make red-eye gravy (deglaze the pan you fried the ham in with a splash of yesterday's coffee. Reduce and add a touch of dark sorghum to add some sweetness) if you want. 

Most restaurant grits are not good. They dump instant grits into boiling water and let them sit in a steam table for hours. There is a reason Waffle House is famous for hash browns-not grits.

image.png.f30addddc4a283cdc677871f2c45a61e.png

Edited by albundy1089
re-upload image
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TBG 150 said:

She's eating them wrong. Sunny side up eggs. Blend them with the grits so the yolk flavors the grits.

I love true banana puddin', which is not the crap made with pudding mix and whip n chill.😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, albundy1089 said:

I love true banana puddin', which is not the crap made with pudding mix and whip n chill.😊

Mama's good old nanner puddin,there's only 2 people (that i know of) that like's banana pudding better than me and i'm both of them.        

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, albundy1089 said:

She's eating them wrong. Sunny side up eggs. Blend them with the grits so the yolk flavors the grits.

LMFAO! She gets bug-eyed when I eat my eggs either sunny side up, or even over light/medium, whatever. Fried solid yolks or scrambled is the only way you'll get her to eat eggs.

@albundy1089 is right. Don't get any of that instant crap. Just like instant rice, all the goodness has been boiled out of it to make it easy for the lazy folks. Good grits and also rice over 20-30 minutes to do correctly. Just add boiled water? Nah, I don't think so.

One last word on grits. Nagachili if this doesn't make you a convert, I'm afraid your hopeless.

SHRIMP AND GRITS SOUTHERN STYLE WITH CHEESY GRITS

Shrimp and Grits
These delectable Shrimp and Grits are cooked with creole seasoning, red pepper, green onions, crisp bacon and garlic over a bed of creamy cheddar grits.
  • Author: Beth Pierce
  •  
  • Prep Time: 5
  •  
  • Cook Time: 10
  •  
  • Total Time: 15 minutes
  •  
  • Yield: 4 1x
  •  
  • Category: seafood main meal
  •  
  • Method: stove top
  •  
  • Cuisine: Cajun

INGREDIENTS

SCALE1X2X3X

CHEESY GRITS

• 1 cup quick grits
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar

Shrimp 

• 6 slices smoked bacon
  • 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
  • 3 green onions chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/4 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Bring the water to a boil; add the grits and salt.   Cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender.  Remove from heat, stir in butter, cream and cheddar cheese.
  2. In large skillet over medium heat cook bacon until crispy. Place on paper towels to drain; reserving bacon grease. Coarsely chop bacon once cooled. Add shrimp to bacon grease over medium heat.  Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper.   Flip shrimp after one minute; and cook for additional one minute.  Remove to plate.
  3. Add vegetable oil to skillet over medium heat.  Add red pepper and cook until slightly tender; 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low.  Add green onions and garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Add chicken broth to skillet and stir.  Return shrimp and bacon to the skillet and heat for 1 minute.
  4. Spoon shrimp mixture over cheesy grits.  Serve immediately.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, albundy1089 said:

One last word on grits. Nagachili if this doesn't make you a convert, I'm afraid your hopeless.

SHRIMP AND GRITS SOUTHERN STYLE WITH CHEESY GRITS

Shrimp and Grits
These delectable Shrimp and Grits are cooked with creole seasoning, red pepper, green onions, crisp bacon and garlic over a bed of creamy cheddar grits.
  • Author: Beth Pierce
  •  
  • Prep Time: 5
  •  
  • Cook Time: 10
  •  
  • Total Time: 15 minutes
  •  
  • Yield: 4 1x
  •  
  • Category: seafood main meal
  •  
  • Method: stove top
  •  
  • Cuisine: Cajun

INGREDIENTS

SCALE1X2X3X

CHEESY GRITS

• 1 cup quick grits
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar

Shrimp 

• 6 slices smoked bacon
  • 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
  • 3 green onions chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/4 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Bring the water to a boil; add the grits and salt.   Cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender.  Remove from heat, stir in butter, cream and cheddar cheese.
  2. In large skillet over medium heat cook bacon until crispy. Place on paper towels to drain; reserving bacon grease. Coarsely chop bacon once cooled. Add shrimp to bacon grease over medium heat.  Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper.   Flip shrimp after one minute; and cook for additional one minute.  Remove to plate.
  3. Add vegetable oil to skillet over medium heat.  Add red pepper and cook until slightly tender; 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low.  Add green onions and garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Add chicken broth to skillet and stir.  Return shrimp and bacon to the skillet and heat for 1 minute.
  4. Spoon shrimp mixture over cheesy grits.  Serve immediately.

It looks great Bundy...without the grits...🤣

I'm just jesting my friend...My daughters are on a lifetime mission to find something I wouldn't eat lol!...I'm sure grits prepped like this will be delicious...It looks great 😁

• Like 1

Sorry to belabor the point, but I was a professional Chef for many, many years-Corporate and hotel chef for an international chain. I had postings in 4 European cities, the Caribbean, Hawaii and throughout the USA. Food is my soft spot-especially Southern. I was taught the basics by some incredible Black women that still did things the family way. Soul food is the best.

• Like 2