Val & Jul (2023) #1

Pete1960

On 4/1/2023 at 10:48 AM, FrankZabba said:

my wife and i each have our own debit cards from our bank.  we don't charge anything and if it's something we really need like a new refrigerator, we just use our debit cards.  i make sure there is always enough money in our debit account to handle anything up to $20,000.  that way if something major happens to either of us there will be enough money to cover it.  you need to turn your friends on to dave ramsey.  i got my son listening to dave ramsey and it's helped him tremendously.

Dave Ramsey, not sure if I heard of him. I'm gonna check him out. Thanks for the tip! Is he related to Chef Ramsey? Lol

On 4/2/2023 at 11:55 AM, Howard said:

In their 20s and sex only once a month?  If both had day jobs, came home hungry and tired, I can accept sex only happening 1-2x/week.  But considering what they (don't) do and their youth, they are behaving like octogenarians with bad hips. 

Hey Howard, once a month!? Sounds like problems in thier relationship. Maybe they just in a rut. It happens. They need to get out more probably. I don't really follow them much

8 hours ago, ashleyxyz said:

Hey Howard, once a month!? Sounds like problems in thier relationship. Maybe they just in a rut. It happens. They need to get out more probably. I don't really follow them much

I don't know about being in a rut.  I never fully understood couples who sleep in different rooms (unless their work schedule was a reason). But it isn't like one works nights as a security guard and the other work's days as a secretary.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:12 AM, ashleyxyz said:

Dave Ramsey, not sure if I heard of him. I'm gonna check him out. Thanks for the tip! Is he related to Chef Ramsey? Lol

Dave give decent advise, but the last few years he's become arrogant.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FrankZabba said:

and what does arrogance come from?

He's not open to the fact that some people rely on revolving credit to survive.

Just as not everyone can be a top earner or live in a 3,500 sq ft home, he makes absolute judgements then everyone should (or should I say can) be debt free.  That's now how the American economy works for 95% of its residents. 

7 hours ago, Howard said:

He's not open to the fact that some people rely on revolving credit to survive.

Just as not everyone can be a top earner or live in a 3,500 sq ft home, he makes absolute judgements then everyone should (or should I say can) be debt free.  That's now how the American economy works for 95% of its residents. 

these are just my opinions, take them for what they're worth!

people that rely on revolving credit, i have no use for.  get off your ass and either get a better job or work an extra job.  anything you want to accomplish in this lifetime is achievable through hard work and dedication.  his system works!  my son had 5 outstanding debts 2.5 years ago and now he is down to just paying off his mortgage. 

i'm debt free because i don't use any credit cards and if there is something i want (notice i said want) really bad and i don't have the money for it, i save up until i do and then i go get it.  90 times out of 100,  i don't end up getting what i wanted because by the time i saved up enough money, i decided i didn't really want it after all.  just by applying this method of saving until you have the money, has helped my bank account grow and grow.

every time i see an aluminum can, i pick it up.  i take whatever aluminum cans i find, take them home, rinse them out and then crush them.  i save them until i have two 55 gallon trash cans full and then i take them to the recycler for payment.  last year i saved close to $400 just on aluminum cans which were collected with little to no effort.

as for people living beyond their means (3,500 sq ft home), nobody needs a 3,500 sq ft home.  that is a "look at me" type attitude and that's what gets people in trouble in the long run.

p.s.  right now i'm saving up to buy a powermatic jointer that cost almost $2,000.

23 minutes ago, FrankZabba said:

these are just my opinions, take them for what they're worth!

people that rely on revolving credit, i have no use for.  get off your ass and either get a better job or work an extra job.  anything you want to accomplish in this lifetime is achievable through hard work and dedication.  his system works!  my son had 5 outstanding debts 2.5 years ago and now he is down to just paying off his mortgage. 

i'm debt free because i don't use any credit cards and if there is something i want (notice i said want) really bad and i don't have the money for it, i save up until i do and then i go get it.  90 times out of 100,  i don't end up getting what i wanted because by the time i saved up enough money, i decided i didn't really want it after all.  just by applying this method of saving until you have the money, has helped my bank account grow and grow.

every time i see an aluminum can, i pick it up.  i take whatever aluminum cans i find, take them home, rinse them out and then crush them.  i save them until i have two 55 gallon trash cans full and then i take them to the recycler for payment.  last year i saved close to $400 just on aluminum cans which were collected with little to no effort.

as for people living beyond their means (3,500 sq ft home), nobody needs a 3,500 sq ft home.  that is a "look at me" type attitude and that's what gets people in trouble in the long run.

p.s.  right now i'm saving up to buy a powermatic jointer that cost almost $2,000.

It isn't whether or not I disagree (or agree) with you, but your outlook is not realistic. There are 26+ million people in the five most populous cities in the USA. 19% live at or below the poverty rate. Another 31% live paycheck-to-paycheck.  They can pick up all the aluminum cans they can find and recycle whatever newspapers still exist. They can buy clothes at thrift stores - they still need revolving credit to survive.

I employ 78 people. 65 are considered blue collar, the remainder middle and upper management. Blue collar gets a competitive wage $22 - $26/hr) and 80% of their health care paid. Yet I know they can't make ends meet. Most have a spouse who also works, and they have kids to feed. If together they take home (after taxes) $5,500/month, $3,000 goes to rent (in Los Angeles in a semi-safe area) for a small 2 bdrm apartment, $500 for (one) car-related expenses, $1,200 for food, and the remaining $800 for clothing, utilities and other misc expenses that involve life and raising kids.  Not much left at the end of the month.

The arrogance that everyone should be able to live debt free is ridiculous.  The American dream is reachable. It usually doesn't happen (for the minority) until your 40s.  So what does that mean for the 18-40 yr olds??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1