Cool Machines thread

Yeah, well, I must be as old as you if you were there live and in person.  :nana:  :lmao:

I loved standing trackside, smelling the fuels and listening to the popping of the header tubes and seeing the greenish-blue flames shoot 10 feet into the air when they launched.  :yeahbaby:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1965_Ford_Mustang_Pool_Table_1.jpg

Now that's a Mustang!

Speed limits in Australia range from 10 kilometres per hour in shared zones to 110 kilometres per hour.

In the Northern Territory three highways have 130 kilometres per hour zones and a 276km section of the Stuart Highway is unlimited.

Is this what's meant by 'car-pool'?

As far as the speed limits go, I guess I was only told about the basic speeds in and around major metropolitan areas .  :idk:

The Northern Territory is almost a different planet. It's not even a State in it's own right, has some self-government but much is still controlled by the Commonwealth. Yet, with a total population of less than 250,000 people spread over 520,000 square miles, its Chief Minister is paid more than the Australian Prime Minister.

Some of the country is so spectacular, if John Wayne were still alive he'd want to make a cowboy movie. If you remade Deliverance, you wouldn't need to employ actors, just use some of the local population. If you were looking for a reason to introduce apartheid, you'd find it in the towns.

A mate of mine, ex Army, moved up there recently. Got a job as a Transport Security Officer, spends all day in an air-conditioned 4x4 following buses and sorts out the occasional unruly passenger, nearly always drunk blacks. Shitty, boring job but for $120,000 per annum someone's got to do it.

The 276km stretch of road with open speed limits, is a stunt to increase tourism. We do get the occasional Jap that will come over to push himself and his car to its limits and there have been deaths. The car might be capable of high speeds, but the driver probably isn't and the roads aren't good enough. Some car manufacturers do bring their vehicles over, professional well kitted crews, to test their vehicles. I believe this maybe one of only 3 places you can do this. Throw in the added heat, it really pushes cars to their limit.

I seen this 59 el camino on the tv show Kounts Kustoms and it looked really good . Its mounted on the SSR version of those ugly HHR\s . The body had to be modified to fit the HHR chassis and the windshield and retractable roof was mounted on the el camino also . Its very well done and is now in a private collection in Vegas .

post-14339-145739683931_thumb.jpg

post-14339-145739683935_thumb.jpg

post-14339-145739683939_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, itsme said:

65 year old tank destroyer started for the first time since being abandon in a field.  It's pretty amazing that it started up with very little help.

Cool video itsme, I just wish I knew what they were saying lol.   It looked like they were having a hard time freeing the engine up and then it looked like they were having a hard time getting it primed.   Cool video none the less.....thanks!

Archived