Under Maintenance

Time when everything has gone well so far, it is probably good time to bring up this thread. I do not know what RLC has done during those long maintenance breaks (about 8 hours), but hopefully things, which are now kept this apartment online, without previously so common an hour or two daily maintenance breaks. I have not encountered even small issues that were previously appeared frequently.

I do not know if it's only in my eyes, but does anyone else noticed like image quality would be improved in Kamila's and Kristy's rooms and motion playback would be smoother? Or is it just my imagination?

Unfortunately, last night after the girls went upstairs, the lag in the feed became so bad that it was like watching a slide show instead of a continuous video data feed. Rather than just jumping to conclusions, I checked out everything I could on my PC and network connections.

I do not believe the problem was on my side. I had plenty of available RAM, was using a very low percentage of my CPU power and my network connections were extremely powerful because of the time of day here.

In fact, I had even closed almost all of the other applications I had been running to make sure I gave the RLC feed everything it needed to let me receive a steady video stream. But, the lag was terrible and practically made it impossible to enjoy the video.

I did not have any problems, everything went as it should. Did you use a 4-View Mode, in which case the movement in four cameras at the same time requires easily 20 to 25 Mbps connection speed, depending on circumstances? I think that causes most of the lagging problems.

No, for that very reason, I made sure that I was single screen mode. I haven't used the multi-screen view for almost a month because of all the lag problems I've been having. I really believed initially that the problem could very well have been on my side. But, after running 3 of the major virus/malware software programs on my system, I decided to go the extra mile and shut down every non-system application so that the only thing running was chrome and one other program. That's why I was a little peeved when the problem continued to act the exact same way after I made sure that my side was as clean as I could get it.

I will say that there is one more possibility for the lag that may not be RLC's problem. That is, I have no idea whether their network is distributing their feeds as efficiently as possible to all destinations. It may be that different geographical areas are actually receiving different bandwidth allowance or something along those lines. I just don't know.

You might be right, but that is not the problem in RLC network, it's in Internet backbone network. I have encountered the same problem sometimes, so I already had that alternative "under construction", you brought up ;)

Another thing that causes this kind of problem is a temporary traffic congestion or broken device somewhere between your ISP and RLC servers. If you do Ookla speed test, it selects the server close to you, where the speed is as good as possible, because the purpose is to measure only your internet connection speed. It is fully different matter which is the speed to RLC servers. If the bottleneck is far away from you, it may help open the stream again, then you may get a connection to the server, where to there are no bottlenecks. If the bottleneck is close enough to you, it may be difficult to do anything. Such is very common on Internet backbone network. It is possible to sort out if this causes your problems, but network knowledge is required.

Time when everything has gone well so far, it is probably good time to bring up this thread. I do not know what RLC has done during those long maintenance breaks (about 8 hours), but hopefully things, which are now kept this apartment online, without previously so common an hour or two daily maintenance breaks. I have not encountered even small issues that were previously appeared frequently.

I do not know if it's only in my eyes, but does anyone else noticed like image quality would be improved in Kamila's and Kristy's rooms and motion playback would be smoother? Or is it just my imagination?

Unfortunately, last night after the girls went upstairs, the lag in the feed became so bad that it was like watching a slide show instead of a continuous video data feed. Rather than just jumping to conclusions, I checked out everything I could on my PC and network connections.

I do not believe the problem was on my side. I had plenty of available RAM, was using a very low percentage of my CPU power and my network connections were extremely powerful because of the time of day here.

In fact, I had even closed almost all of the other applications I had been running to make sure I gave the RLC feed everything it needed to let me receive a steady video stream. But, the lag was terrible and practically made it impossible to enjoy the video.

I did not have any problems, everything went as it should. Did you use a 4-View Mode, in which case the movement in four cameras at the same time requires easily 20 to 25 Mbps connection speed, depending on circumstances? I think that causes most of the lagging problems.

No, for that very reason, I made sure that I was single screen mode. I haven't used the multi-screen view for almost a month because of all the lag problems I've been having. I really believed initially that the problem could very well have been on my side. But, after running 3 of the major virus/malware software programs on my system, I decided to go the extra mile and shut down every non-system application so that the only thing running was chrome and one other program. That's why I was a little peeved when the problem continued to act the exact same way after I made sure that my side was as clean as I could get it.

I will say that there is one more possibility for the lag that may not be RLC's problem. That is, I have no idea whether their network is distributing their feeds as efficiently as possible to all destinations. It may be that different geographical areas are actually receiving different bandwidth allowance or something along those lines. I just don't know.

You might be right, but that is not the problem in RLC network, it's in Internet backbone network. I have encountered the same problem sometimes, so I already had that alternative "under construction", you brought up ;)

Another thing that causes this kind of problem is a temporary traffic congestion or broken device somewhere between your ISP and RLC servers. If you do Ookla speed test, it selects the server close to you, where the speed is as good as possible, because the purpose is to measure only your internet connection speed. It is fully different matter which is the speed to RLC servers. If the bottleneck is far away from you, it may help open the stream again, then you may get a connection to the server, where to there are no bottlenecks. If the bottleneck is close enough to you, it may be difficult to do anything. Such is very common on Internet backbone network. It is possible to sort out if this causes your problems, but knowledge of how routing works on the Internet is required.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some further checking. Yea, I knew that wouldn't be RLC's fault. That's why I worded it the way I did.

I was just responding to a quote,  I know that this is the wrong thread.

If you were talking about Carla eating topless, thanks! I rarely ever look at that apartment and had never gotten to see her topless before. But, your comment make me jump over real quick. She does look good.

Sorry if my original post caused confusion, but it was on topic at the time :-\

And yes Bookmaster, this girl is getting hotter by the day. She is now my first click if nothing is happening at Nora's.  ;) ;)

Another thing that causes this kind of problem is a temporary traffic congestion or broken device somewhere between your ISP and RLC servers. If you do Ookla speed test, it selects the server close to you, where the speed is as good as possible, because the purpose is to measure only your internet connection speed. It is fully different matter which is the speed to RLC servers. If the bottleneck is far away from you, it may help open the stream again, then you may get a connection to the server, where to there are no bottlenecks. If the bottleneck is close enough to you, it may be difficult to do anything. Such is very common on Internet backbone network. It is possible to sort out if this causes your problems, but network knowledge is required.

BULLSHIT!

RLC please fix cam3 Kitchen cam in this apartment.  Moth flying around last nite.  No need to shut down entire apartment, just go in there and close door to kitchen and fix it.  Thank you-we all would appreciate it. No one is in the apartment right now, so great time to get it done!!!

You boys stop panicking....! As a Manager of a business that utilizes a lot of equipment and other high tech gadgets, sometimes you have to work on stuff that's not necessarily obvious to the customers....take a chill pill....

Bullshit!

BULLSHIT!

And this is the perfect example why people should not pay any attention to anything dfccap says. He would rather believe his own made up conspiracies and delusions rather than try to pay any attention to what people who have anything sort of intelligence has to say. And even if you didn't want to believe them, provide some sort of counter-argument with evidence or some kind of knowledge instead of just dismissing what they say as "bullshit" just because what they say doesn't fit into your own nonsense.

You boys stop panicking....! As a Manager of a business that utilizes a lot of equipment and other high tech gadgets, sometimes you have to work on stuff that's not necessarily obvious to the customers....take a chill pill....

Bullshit!

BULLSHIT!

And this is the perfect example why people should not pay any attention to anything dfccap says. He would rather believe his own made up conspiracies and delusions rather than try to pay any attention to what people who have anything sort of intelligence has to say. And even if you didn't want to believe them, provide some sort of counter-argument with evidence or some kind of knowledge instead of just dismissing what they say as "bullshit" just because what they say doesn't fit into your own nonsense.

Maybe you need to do a little more research yourself there pal.  None, and I mean NONE of the other apartments go under maintenance hardly ever "EVER"!!  This apartment goes under maintenance when the tenants want to do something they don't want the paying members of RLC to see!  And, like I said before, it's "BULLSHIT"!!  I used to work in local government and we controlled thousands of networks and cams and unless there was a TOTAL power outage and the emergency generators didn't kick on and the battery reserve finally bit the dust, those networks ran 24/7  365 without any issues!!  You know why?  Because they were redundant systems (look up redundant if you don't know what that means) that were switched on a monthly basis or sooner if need be.  Individual cameras could be taken offline and worked on when needed, not this bullshit RLC has all of you people fooled with.

I think you need to go to the library and do some research before you start pointing fingers!!

PS;  Kiss my ass snaky!!

Having the resources of the government to run networks is vastly different than a private company trying to run networks. By your own logic, everyone should be able to run these things perfectly because the government was able to do it without any issues. If you seriously don't see the ridiculousness in this logic, then I have nothing more to say.

Bullshit!

BULLSHIT!

Maybe you need to do a little more research yourself there pal.  None, and I mean NONE of the other apartments go under maintenance hardly ever "EVER"!!  This apartment goes under maintenance when the tenants want to do something they don't want the paying members of RLC to see!  And, like I said before, it's "BULLSHIT"!!  I used to work in local government and we controlled thousands of networks and cams and unless there was a TOTAL power outage and the emergency generators didn't kick on and the battery reserve finally bit the dust, those networks ran 24/7  365 without any issues!!  You know why?  Because they were redundant systems (look up redundant if you don't know what that means) that were switched on a monthly basis or sooner if need be.  Individual cameras could be taken offline and worked on when needed, not this bullshit RLC has all of you people fooled with.

I think you need to go to the library and do some research before you start pointing fingers!!

PS;  Kiss my ass snaky!!

Do yourself a favour, shut down and go 'under maintenance' for a month or three.

RLC please fix cam3 Kitchen cam in this apartment.  Moth flying around last nite.  No need to shut down entire apartment, just go in there and close door to kitchen and fix it.  Thank you-we all would appreciate it. No one is in the apartment right now, so great time to get it done!!!

Thank you RLC for fixing this!!!