Operating System: Post Q&As, discussion about OS's and updates here.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was under the impression that if you do the Media Creation method, you'd have to have your product serial number XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (<==or some variant of that configuration). That's what I read on the Microshaft page regarding performing that operation, anyhow. I'd have to dig through a buttload of boxes to find that info. :(

With the Media Creation Method when it sets up it uses the key that's on your current system.

I'm going back to Windows 7. This Windows 10 is nothing but garbage. Constantly freezes and then file explorer stops responding makes it virtually impossible to perform any tasks.

To many security features Microsoft has turned on by default just so they can get reports on how you use your computer and what you view. They get a record of it all.

So Bill Gates you can shove you Windows 10 up your ass.  I just may steer myself away from Windows al together and flow with the Linux and see how it goes.

I use the windows 10 but first had to disable all the interfearing security crap and a lot of the apps that are default. {cortana. groove. movies & tv. cloud etc.)

now i find it works as well as my xp

this is a usefull program (Destroy.Windows.10.Spying.1.5.Build.600.Portable.4realtorrentz}

but read the instructions as most of the options are irreversible

Have no problems with W10 on my desktop, but would understand going back to W7 if you do have problems, W7 is one of the best OS's, unless you have a Mac offcourse hehehe

All the time I had Windows 10 running. It worked fine until it started installing Windows Update and then the issues started.  In Windows 10 there is no way to disable the updates as they are set to run by default. Other O/S's always had a feature where you could shut the updates off.

If your a home user Windows Updates is basically useless and just a waste of Hard Disk Space.

I like to pick the updates I need and not what Micro$oft suggests I need.

Officially back to Windows 7.  I am not changing O/S's no further.

i tried to upgrade to win.10 three times...didn't work.with some of the negative comments i'm glad it didn't work.think i will just keep windows7 and move right along.      :woohoo:               

UGH! Linux, FREE, 30 minutes to install -45 minutes if you include beer breaks- that includes updates which are included in the main install. Security included and updated regularly. Every two years they release a Long Term Service version that is already stable (imagine that!). Even if you are a gamer there is a distro of Linux just for you; Streamer OS. Yes, there will be a bit of a learning curve if you want to do special things, but if you can navigate through Winblows or MacOSwhatever, then this should be a no brainer...unless "no brainer" describes you, then it should take a few minutes longer. There are several "flavors" of Linux depending on what you want to do with it. You can start here

https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/810295-the-top-11-best-linux-distros-for-2015

if you want to explore the many possibilities. I use Ubuntu because I am a generic user, however, you can load any linux app on any flavor. There is even a Low Latency kernal version for those you who produce music and such. If you are a Pro Tools user you should check out Rosegarden. I use Ardour but I don't need anything more advanced...yet. I am sure most of you already know about GIMP, Firefox and Thunderbird, VLC, and Open Office. Installing is easier than windows and you can actually run Linux from a thumbdrive, as a test drive, without actually installing it. The most straight forward method to install it is to download the ISO and burn it into a DVD or thumbdrive and install it from one of those. Of course you can always install it from the net if you want. Ask TBG or me if you want to know more or need help. You can also install Linux w/windows as a dual boot system if you can't live without the crippling effects of Windows OSs and/or like driving a russian Trabant.

UGH! Linux, FREE, 30 minutes to install -45 minutes if you include beer breaks- that includes updates which are included in the main install. Security included and updated regularly. Every two years they release a Long Term Service version that is already stable (imagine that!). Even if you are a gamer there is a distro of Linux just for you; Streamer OS. Yes, there will be a bit of a learning curve if you want to do special things, but if you can navigate through Winblows or MacOSwhatever, then this should be a no brainer...unless "no brainer" describes you, then it should take a few minutes longer. There are several "flavors" of Linux depending on what you want to do with it. You can start here

https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/810295-the-top-11-best-linux-distros-for-2015

if you want to explore the many possibilities. I use Ubuntu because I am a generic user, however, you can load any linux app on any flavor. There is even a Low Latency kernal version for those you who produce music and such. If you are a Pro Tools user you should check out Rosegarden. I use Ardour but I don't need anything more advanced...yet. I am sure most of you already know about GIMP, Firefox and Thunderbird, VLC, and Open Office. Installing is easier than windows and you can actually run Linux from a thumbdrive, as a test drive, without actually installing it. The most straight forward method to install it is to download the ISO and burn it into a DVD or thumbdrive and install it from one of those. Of course you can always install it from the net if you want. Ask TBG or me if you want to know more or need help. You can also install Linux w/windows as a dual boot system if you can't live without the crippling effects of Windows OSs and/or like driving a russian Trabant.

What partition would you use cause it likely not made for NTFS or FAT32 partitions.

If you want to dual boot, most major Linux distributions will make a partition alongside your Windows. As for reading and writing data, my external USB works with every system I've got in my house, and it's NTFS. A picture of Leora's pretty smile that I captured on the Ubuntu machine is the same pix I see when I call it up on Win7. A book written with LibreOffice on one machine formats and reads the same as it does with LibreOffice on the other machine.

Open source is cool. Not as polished, but it's free, functional and fast; and Linux itself is damn near bullet-proof when it comes to security.

Having an operating system study your every move and report it back to HQ so that it can supposedly give you "a better user experience" frankly creeps me out.  :no:

Guest TxFeller

After nearly 2 weeks on Win10, I haven't had the same bad experiences as everyone else, but t hasn't been paradise, either. My system was running sort of slow over the weekend and I had very consistent activity on my hard drive, even though nothing was running. Checked task manager and found the CPU was at 92% usage, with 89% of that coming from one process. I clicked End Task on that process. Then, I rebooted. Or... tried to. It got hung at "Restarting...". Fr more than 20 minutes, it just sat there. I tried a hard reboot. Came right back to "Restarting...".

What I eventually had to do was unplug the power supply cord. Wait a few minutes, plug it back in with the power supply itself turned off. Then, press the computer's power button for 30 seconds. Release. Turn the power supply back on. Boot.

Came back up with no further problems. However, I haven't tried to restart yet, either. I'm waiting to get a thumbdrive recovery "disk". It has to be at least 16 Gb.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Archived