Operating System: Post Q&As, discussion about OS's and updates here.

Nowdays, I either buy serious software that I know I'll use (business tax write-off) or I resort to Open Source downloaded directly from the software's maker. Even for trivial programs like Ocam and Bandicam, I've had malware problems because I pulled them off of the wrong 3rd party servers.

Cloud-based applications seem the safest at this time, but even they are horribly vulnerable to attacks by the heathens, and the situation will only get worse. Even Linux is being attacked.  :yikes:

My paranoia now reigns supreme.

PS: I discovered that ZoneAlarm, AVG, and Avast are the only programs I've had fail on Win10, and they failed on my Win 8.1 also.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS: I discovered that ZoneAlarm, AVG, and Avast are the only programs I've had fail on Win10, and they failed on my Win 8.1 also.

Those Windows Programs use a thing called Windows Defender which can be found in the Control Panel. Disable the Windows Defender and then try you  Zone Alarm, AVG and Avast.

Those Windows Programs use a thing called Windows Defender which can be found in the Control Panel. Disable the Windows Defender and then try you  Zone Alarm, AVG and Avast.

Actually, I did that. No problem on Win7, but on 8.1 I did that and my speed came to a crawl -- even worse that using Norton or McAfee! So I uninstalled both ZA and AVG, and the speed went up again,but they both left crap behind. This crap remained when I "upgraded" to Win10.

I'm running Win10 with most of the defaults and no 3rd party security processes. Zero infections, and it's the fastest boot time I've experienced on any modern operating system. Let's hope the usual Windows update situation doesn't dog it down over time like it does with their previous systems.

Actually, I did that. No problem on Win7, but on 8.1 I did that and my speed came to a crawl -- even worse that using Norton or McAfee! So I uninstalled both ZA and AVG, and the speed went up again,but they both left crap behind. This crap remained when I "upgraded" to Win10.

I'm running Win10 with most of the defaults and no 3rd party security processes. Zero infections, and it's the fastest boot time I've experienced on any modern operating system. Let's hope the usual Windows update situation doesn't dog it down over time like it does with their previous systems.

I have tried Norton and McAfee a couple of times and they slowed things down for me.  I just stick with the Windows Defender. It seems to grab just about everything that's suspicious. If I do happen to get a virus I am always in the Sandbox so when one comes about just close the Sandbox and it's gone.

I know a couple techies who fix computer problems professionally. They believe that Windows Defender and boot-time scans with Malwarebytes are usually sufficient to prevent or find problems. I'll often use Spybot; it catches and fixes things that the others don't. Lately, I've been getting zero reports for these on all my systems.

Except my Linux machine; Linux has recently been targeted for attack.

I think the best thing to do is use concealed-carry (sandboxing) and just don't click if in doubt. Security of operating systems will always be a problem. It's not merely a matter of piracy or identity theft or vandalism: All OS's will certainly be the #1 target in the next World War.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Rick273 said:

thanks that was very good but the programme does not appear in the uninstall programme list.

it also has an active file in the task manager which cant be shut down as with the file directory it is protected

Here is a very nice app I use called Lock Hunter.   http://lockhunter.com/     Install Lock Hunter once installed. Go To the Task Manager right click the process that won't shut down and ask it to take you to the files location. Once at that location right click the file in question. Lock Hunter should be in the menu. Chose Unlock this file and a box will appear showing the process that keeps this file locked. Choose unlock this file, if it does not unlock a thing will appear at the bottom of the Lock Hunter choose the option delete this file at next start up. When the computer reboots Lock Hunter should remove the file in question before it has any opportunity to start.

There are two versions of Lock Hunter. One is for 32 Bit Computers and the other is 64 Bit. Choose the one that suits your computers needs.

Archived