Operating System: Post Q&As, discussion about OS's and updates here.

Been using Win 10 for a couple of weeks now and a few things have struck me.

1. The transfer of rights from Win 7 64 bit to Win 10 went very badly so that I am now not an administrator on my own PC not even as Administrator and it actually stops giving me access to directories on my own PC - directories which I did have access to previously. I know what I can and can't delete.

2. It is even worse at resetting those things you have deliberately switched off. I clicked no to almost everything but then after it has done an update many of those things have been silently switched on again as if to say "You didn't really mean that did you?".

3. The Edge is the same as IE except more annoying and if anything ha more security flaws. I was realy surprised at this because since they effectively integrated IE to Windows you can never truly clean it and I was expecting Win 10 to have a clean browser just importing favourites but it clearly isn't and it appears worse at blocking spam and dodgy attacks than ever. This is probably not a surprise since it's many focus seems to be about redirecting you to sites it thinks you should look at no doubt for commercial reasons and allowing all sorts of your personal information to become available. I think Edge is a real opportunity missed and despite Google's obvious data collection, I much prefer to use Chrome for almost everything.

4. It does close down nicely.

5. The system processes are a little less clear and seems to use its idle time to constantly monitor and maybe organise your PC whether you like it or not - I've sen it go up to 1GB of memory to do this.

6. At least the transition was clean and effective but I do prefer to be more in control of my PC and not even more of victim of Micosoft State Control than I was before.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. The transfer of rights from Win 7 64 bit to Win 10 went very badly so that I am now not an administrator on my own PC not even as Administrator and it actually stops giving me access to directories on my own PC - directories which I did have access to previously. I know what I can and can't delete.

2. It is even worse at resetting those things you have deliberately switched off. I clicked no to almost everything but then after it has done an update many of those things have been silently switched on again as if to say "You didn't really mean that did you?".

3. The Edge is the same as IE except more annoying and if anything ha more security flaws. I was realy surprised at this because since they effectively integrated IE to Windows you can never truly clean it and I was expecting Win 10 to have a clean browser just importing favourites but it clearly isn't and it appears worse at blocking spam and dodgy attacks than ever. This is probably not a surprise since it's many focus seems to be about redirecting you to sites it thinks you should look at no doubt for commercial reasons and allowing all sorts of your personal information to become available. I think Edge is a real opportunity missed and despite Google's obvious data collection, I much prefer to use Chrome for almost everything.

5. The system processes are a little less clear and seems to use its idle time to constantly monitor and maybe organise your PC whether you like it or not - I've sen it go up to 1GB of memory to do this.

6. At least the transition was clean and effective but I do prefer to be more in control of my PC and not even more of victim of Micosoft State Control than I was before.

Microsoft has a lot of things it won't let you change on Windows 10 as they are set by default.  This program called  O&O ShutUp10  can disable some features Microsoft won't let you do.      There is a program on the net that I have seen before that gives you back Ownership and Administrative Privileges without having to go through each file to do it Manually.  I'll have a look for it I j just forget what the program was called. If I find that I'll let you know what it is.

The biggest pain is that User Account Control BS they have. Every time I click a file I get asked if I want to allow or disallow the program I clicked. Like I'm the only one using the Computer and get asked that every time.  There is likely a work around for it by editing the registry somehow.

Here is something that may help gain the Ownership of your PC back to you and have full privileges.  If this doesn't work then the only way to gain it back would be by doing a clean install of Windows.  Hopefully this helps and works. 

Here is the Tutorial link:  http://www.wintuts.com/Change-permissions-take-ownership

Here is something that may help gain the Ownership of your PC back to you and have full privileges.  If this doesn't work then the only way to gain it back would be by doing a clean install of Windows.  Hopefully this helps and works. 

Here is the Tutorial link:  http://www.wintuts.com/Change-permissions-take-ownership

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Microsoft has a lot of things it won't let you change on Windows 10 as they are set by default.  This program called  O&O ShutUp10  can disable some features Microsoft won't let you do.      There is a program on the net that I have seen before that gives you back Ownership and Administrative Privileges without having to go through each file to do it Manually.  I'll have a look for it I j just forget what the program was called. If I find that I'll let you know what it is.

The biggest pain is that User Account Control BS they have. Every time I click a file I get asked if I want to allow or disallow the program I clicked. Like I'm the only one using the Computer and get asked that every time.  There is likely a work around for it by editing the registry somehow.

Just search for user accounts it should show "change user accounts settings" and turn it off.

Just search for user accounts it should show "change user accounts settings" and turn it off.

I have the UAC at it's lowest setting and it still asks. It's only on the files that seem to have these pesky little shields on them. I have a program that removes the shields now I just have to get to the registry entry to disable UAC all together. I won't be able to access the Windows Store and it's Features but they are not much use to me anyways as I don't use them.

I can see if Multiple Users access my computer but I am the sole person that uses it and no one else and having to click something each time to allow a file is strictly a pain in the ass.

I have the UAC at it's lowest setting and it still asks. It's only on the files that seem to have these pesky little shields on them. I have a program that removes the shields now I just have to get to the registry entry to disable UAC all together. I won't be able to access the Windows Store and it's Features but they are not much use to me anyways as I don't use them.

I can see if Multiple Users access my computer but I am the sole person that uses it and no one else and having to click something each time to allow a file is strictly a pain in the ass.

Ok I see..well I thought you pretty much knew way under the hood as I do but I thought I'd post any ways.

Ok I see..well I thought you pretty much knew way under the hood as I do but I thought I'd post any ways.

No Problem.  I found something on how to disable it completely from the registry.  It's quite easy.

I used a program called Micro-Angelo on Display which got rid of those god ugly Shields that were stuck on the Icons.

• 5 weeks later...

I've tried to read some of the posts on here but I don't speak whatever language they are in!

I have a Sony VAIO laptop with windows 7. I know there has been quite a lot of discussion on

whether updating to windows 10 is a good idea or not. Could someone who knows all things tec

please tell me if I should leave well alone or go for the windows 10 update.

Many thanks.  :)

I've tried to read some of the posts on here but I don't speak whatever language they are in!

I have a Sony VAIO laptop with windows 7. I know there has been quite a lot of discussion on

whether updating to windows 10 is a good idea or not. Could someone who knows all things tec

please tell me if I should leave well alone or go for the windows 10 update.

Many thanks.  :)

I had Windows 10 a couple times installed and I always reverted back to Windows 7 and 8.1.  Some people like it and some don't. It has some nice features and runs smooth but Microsoft has some Security Features which are set on the defaults they want it so they can get information on how you use your computer and browsing habits and there is almost no way of turning those features off unless you get some hacked software that disables all features.  Windows updates you can't even shut that off. You basically have to take what Microsoft throws at you.  With Windows 7 and 8.1 you have the option to shut any feature off is what I like and that's what I am staying with now.  For the Standard Computer user those Windows Updates are nothing but garbage to most. All they do is take up a lot of Hard Drive space and the computer will run the same with them or without them.

You can try it if you like. After it's upgraded it makes a folder with your old O/S and all your files and programs in it and can be rolled back within 30 days if you don't like Windows 10. After 30 Days if you wish to go back to the old then you are in for a clean install.

My situation is different from yours. I've got a new Win 10 desktop computer, a laptop that runs Win7 Home & Win7 Ultimate, and an Unbuntu Laptop (and also an old XP, but that's a long story.) With more computers, I have more options to play with them all without taking risks, and I use them for what they do best.

I like the Win 10 well enough, but comparing it to the others is like comparing a decent steak to smoked baby back ribs. They're different user experiences entirely. They all have merits. I generally do banking on the Linux, and surfing on the Win 7s (I don't want Cortana to get jealous about my time on RLC or CC -- she might phone home and complain to her daddy... ;D

Simply put, I like Win10 for what it is, even though I don't use its multiple device (phone/tablet, X-box, desktop) syncing and integration because I don't use those devices. It's fast, runs the same open source programs I use on all my computers, and they all share data through a google drive account so I can work anywhere with any of my computers for most things. Win10 is extremely cloud friendly.

Win 10 is also going to take over whether we like it or not.  :-\

My situation is different from yours. I've got a new Win 10 desktop computer, a laptop that runs Win7 Home & Win7 Ultimate, and an Unbuntu Laptop (and also an old XP, but that's a long story.) With more computers, I have more options to play with them all without taking risks, and I use them for what they do best.

I like the Win 10 well enough, but comparing it to the others is like comparing a decent steak to smoked baby back ribs. They're different user experiences entirely. They all have merits. I generally do banking on the Linux, and surfing on the Win 7s (I don't want Cortana to get jealous about my time on RLC or CC -- she might phone home and complain to her daddy... ;D

Simply put, I like Win10 for what it is, even though I don't use its multiple device (phone/tablet, X-box, desktop) syncing and integration because I don't use those devices. It's fast, runs the same open source programs I use on all my computers, and they all share data through a google drive account so I can work anywhere with any of my computers for most things. Win10 is extremely cloud friendly.

Win 10 is also going to take over whether we like it or not.  :-\

Not everyone uses it for the same purposes. It may be good for some and not for others. Most of it worked fine for me but a couple of important app's I use seem to crash  so I just went back to Windows 7  and then it started having issues and I redid it again and use Windows 8.1. Everything works fine for me on that.

I think the reason some app's don't work is because some software makers haven't upgraded their software to work on Win 10.

They have upgraded the Windows 10 again so maybe sometime between now and summer I may give it another go. The apps that don't work I'll just have to find another app from a different vendor that will work to take it's place.  It just might be because all the apps I use are all Pirated through BitTorrent and come with a crack.

Archived