Hey TBG, and Foamy,.. Remember when..

woodworker

When I first started using computers we still used punch tape on teletype machines and dialed in to Soutwestern Bell time sharing systems. The next year I took a Data Processing class (had to be a junior with two years of algebra). My teacher was a Mr. Sacket (claims he was so old, he was on first name basis with the inventor of the abacus >chuckle chuckle<) who helped bring about Burroughs and Sperry Rand computing systems. In the intro, we learned how to use a Vacuum tube computer with Nixie-tube readouts. Programming was done with patch cables and switches. It was 6ft tall, 18in deep, and 12ft long and you had to wait about 2 hrs for it to heat up properly. Our main course taught us how to punch, read, and sort punch cards, write programs in COBOL, RPG, APL, and FORTRAN 4. None of which have been used for almost 30 yrs. We were encouraged to come to class in a shirt and tie.

In this class were twins named Bart and Brett Mixon. Brett went on to doing special effects and animation for T2: Judgement Day, Last Action Hero, True Lies, and Mortal Combat among a huge list of other movies and TV shows. Just a shameless brag about some High School friends.

• Upvote 2

I too escaped from drowning, or falling into some sink hole.   I guess we were both lucky in that regard.

As far as computers go.   I held off on getting one for years, and only bought one for investing on-line through Charles Schwab.

I made some, and I lost some.   But now I'm out of that racket.

Charles Schwab literally had me down as,.. "An extremely high risk taker."  

It seems to have been that way with me for most of my life. 

4 minutes ago, ww_watcher said:

Thanks HF. I wasn't in the danger zone. I did house a few friends who were affected by it though. Neither of their homes were damaged but it was few days before they could get to them.

Glad to hear you weren't affected.  I wasn't affected either that much.  My primary residence only had about 3' of water in the street but my secondary residence only has one road that can get you there and the primary route was blocked off due to flood waters all the way up to my North boundary fence.  My big pond has a 24" overflow drain that had more water going through it than it could handle which backed up so high it ruined my fish feeder and one of my deer feeders......other than that we were pretty darn lucky!

1 minute ago, woodworker said:

I'm glad.    And I'm glad the fucking monsoon is finally over with.   None of us needs to be going for a late night swim.   Especially not at our age. 

You and me both WW.....I was fixing to start building a modern ark!

• Upvote 1

HF, I knew Woody lived north of me but I didn't know you were also a Texan. You must live near Houston. My parents found leaks they never knew about and my sister, who lives near Galveston, had to mop up a mess in her apartment. But other than that my friends and family escaped the calamities.

I lived through Hurricane Carla and actually had fun; but then I didn't have to pay for any of the damages...

• Upvote 2

Just now, ww_watcher said:

HF, I knew Woody lived north of me but I didn't know you were also a Texan. You must live near Houston. My parents found leaks they never knew about and my sister, who lives near Galveston, had to mop up a mess in her apartment. But other than that my friends and family escaped the calamities.

I lived through Hurricane Carla and actually had fun; but then I didn't have to pay for any of the damages...

Yes sir, Texan through and through!   Just call me the bottom man lol.  I live quite a bit South of "H" town WW.   So as it turns out WW is top man, you are middle man, and once again I am bottom man LMAO!   Same shit.....different day.

• Upvote 2