Martina & Alberto General Chat 2020 #1

StnCld316

3 hours ago, Peterandpaul said:

WOW, how strong she is! Three wonderful sessions this afternoon: passion 👄, meditation 🧘🏻‍♀️ workout 🤸‍♀️. She should celebrate it with some drinks tonight. Unfortunately, Martina doesn’t drink much alcohol anymore. She hasn’t been drunk since New Year‘s Eve. What a pity!

While I agree that she can treat herself the way she's been doing lately, if she wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle I don't think she will drink anytime soon. She does seem determined at least, making the most of her confined time at home to stay active.

I find that she seems happier and more energetic as of late.

4 minutes ago, vanillajohn said:

While I agree that she can treat herself the way she's been doing lately, if she wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle I don't think she will drink anytime soon. She does seem determined at least, making the most of her confined time at home to stay active.

I find that she seems happier and energetic as of late.

You are absolutely right, of course. I don't think she should drink alcohol every night. However, I really enjoyed those 2 or 3 times at the weekend when she came home intoxicated. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peterandpaul said:

You are absolutely right, of course. I don't think she should drink alcohol every night. However, I really enjoyed those 2 or 3 times at the weekend when she came home intoxicated

I can't say I disagree there 😄

It’s great to see how Martina and Alberto cope with the most serious and most devastating crisis Spain has ever seen. With the highest Corona death rate in the world, with an economy in chaos, with a hopeless labor market situation Spain is hit more severely than any other European nation. And yet,  in spite of all theses depressing facts there is hope and the strong will to survive. Punctually at 8 pm Martina like thousands of Spanish people goes to the balcony and starts applauding to the doctors, nurses, paramedics, policemen and policewomen who risk their health and life to help und cure those who are infected. And then they sing a song, which is meanwhile supposed to be the anthem of the crisis „Resisteri“ , meaning „I will resist/ I will survive“. It’s a pity that Alberto doesn’t join Martina but prefers to play video games instead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterandpaul said:

Alberto doesn’t join Martina but prefers to play video games instead. 

Seems the only time he wants anything to do with her is when he wants something to eat or wants to get sucked and fucked.  

He'll learn someday when he awakes and finds himself a lonely man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StnCld316 said:

Seems the only time he wants anything to do with her is when he wants something to eat or wants to get sucked and fucked.  

He'll learn someday when he awakes and finds himself a lonely man.

You're right. I believe he's in for a rude awakening at some point.

When you look at these two, you notice more and more how different they are from each other despite some of the shared interests ever since the mass lockdown started. I mean you could always tell but it seems to be more obvious now.

I find Martina to be thriving. She keeps herself stimulated by staying both physically and mentally active most of the time and it has an impact on her mood. She seems healthier and happier. Alberto on the other hand is pretty much still a couch potato.

I don't think he realizes he punched above his weight lol

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, vanillajohn said:

You're right. I believe he's in for a rude awakening at some point.

When you look at these two, you notice more and more how different they are from each other despite some of the shared interests ever since the mass lockdown started. I mean you could always tell but it seems to be more obvious now.

I find Martina to be thriving. She keeps herself stimulated by staying both physically and mentally active most of the time and it has an impact on her mood. She seems healthier and happier. Alberto on the other hand is pretty much still a couch potato.

I don't think he realizes he punched above his weight lol

What’s the meaning of the idiom „.. punched above his weight „?

1 hour ago, Peterandpaul said:

What’s the meaning of the idiom „.. punched above his weight „?

Punching above one's weight means achieving something that is better than expected. In that case, Alberto punching above his weight means that he's involved/in a relationship with someone (Martina) who is way superior in physical appearance and personality than himself.

In that sense he's lucky but based on his everyday actions and behavior, he doesn't seem to realize it.

2 minutes ago, vanillajohn said:

In that case, Alberto punching above his weight means that he's involved/in a relationship with someone (Martina) who is way superior in physical appearance and personality than himself. In that sense he's lucky but based on his everyday actions and behavior, he doesn't seem to realize it.

Thanks for the brilliant explanation. The phrase obviously comes from boxing then. When a fighter has to compete in a heavier weight class. For a non-native speaker idioms are the most difficult and tricky challenge. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Peterandpaul said:

Thanks for the brilliant explanation. The phrase obviously comes from boxing then. When a fighter has to compete in a heavier weight class. For a non-native speaker idioms are the most difficult and tricky challenge. 

You are absolutely correct 👍