Discussion:2019 Novel Corona Virus (Covid19) and It's Political Ramifications #3

50 minutes ago, moos54 said:

I know the situation in the United States is complicated, and surely more complex than in other countries
I will be more than two months without having been at work, but for the moment it is not too worrying because I have a certain job security
I also know that there will always be differences of opinion between Democrats and Republicans, but from what I have seen, even Republican governors, therefore from the same political party as the president, do not want to follow his ideas on a too rapid deconfinement, because precisely what is necessary to protect the population is not yet acquired
I almost feel that soon to be 50,000 dead is not yet enough for some, as long as it does not affect personally, I have the impression that everyone does not care completely, it is this non-foutism that will attract even more people to the grave

Of the deaths the vast majority were elderly and people with chronic health conditions. For most of the population the virus does not cause severe illness. Why not a new policy of isolating those who are in most danger( the elderly and chronically ill) from the virus while allowing the rest of the population to live a normal life and keep the economy functioning?  

2 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

Of the deaths the vast majority were elderly and people with chronic health conditions. For most of the population the virus does not cause severe illness. Why not a new policy of isolating those who are in most danger( the elderly and chronically ill) from the virus while allowing the rest of the population to live a normal life and keep the economy functioning?  

Well in the UK we have had many doctors and nurses that have caught it and died so it certainly isn't solely an oldie death trap, also many youngsters have died from it over here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Robwin said:

Well in the UK we have had many doctors and nurses that have caught it and died so it certainly isn't solely an oldie death trap, also many youngsters have died from it over here.

Did the doctors, nurses and youngsters have any other health issues?

22 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

So, should we not count people who do not die but who are still in intensive care?

this means that they are intubated and on a ventilator, which nevertheless leaves long after-effects and hard rehabilitation

these people are not generally elderly and in poor health

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

I guess the answer then is to keep the economy closed forever because it will never be safe to go out. :sad:

Unfortunately you are right on that,until there is a vaccine we are all fucked.

4 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Unfortunately you are right on that,until there is a vaccine we are all fucked.

If we wait until a vaccine( 12 to 18 months) to reopen the economy we are severely fucked years into the future.  People don't seem to understand that.

7 minutes ago, Robwin said:

The only other answer is for everyone to wear masks all the time when you are out. Even those are not 100% safe but it is better than none at all. 

yes it will be a strange transition period, in fact it will not necessarily protect from the virus but will surely avoid overloading hospitals, so there will be better care and everyone can be taken care of properly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

If we wait until a vaccine( 12 to 18 months) to reopen the economy we are severely fucked way into the future.  People don't seem to understand that.

Depends on whether governments are prepared to sacrifice lives eh???? Break curfew now and you could make a bad situation ten times worse. Would you like to make such a decision because dammed if I would like to.

Starting today the UK have started trials of a vaccine on humans so great hope is being pinned on that which could be ready for issue in 6 months so they say if all goes well but who knows eh.

• Like 2