Forum Software Issues

StnCld316

Over the last couple of months or so we have been experiencing issues with the forum software we are currently using. Some issues we currently face are changing of Avatars and/or Cover-Photos, creating New PM's, viewing Attachments from the Attachment Center as well as a few other issues. 

There is a new version of forum software in the works. When it's to be released is unknown at the present time. I myself check the software developers website almost on a daily basis trying to see if there's any information provided as to when the new software is going to be released and Admin likely checks it as well. The software has been in the works for quite some time so we are hoping it will be released soon. Until then we can only work with what we have and try to deal with things the best way possible. Once the new version of software is installed it should resolve the issues we currently are now plagued with of our current software. The newer version of software has some really nice improvements and features which will be beneficial to everyone including Admins & Moderators as well.

Issues with the changing of Avatars and/or Cover-Photos, creating PM's some days the applications work and other days they don't perform as they should. If one tries to download videos directly from the Attachments Center you will see a page that says the file does not exist. On the right side of the page for the Attachment shows where the Attachment was uploaded to. Clicking that Title will take you to the page where the Attachment was placed. If the video appears in an Embedded Video Player those Videos can be streamed or downloaded by right clicking on the video screen and save video as or one can click the 3 vertical dots on the bottom right corner of the Embedded Video Player will download the video as well. Other videos that are not embedded will not play or download at the present time. When uploading a video please use an MP4 Format so the Video will Embed to the Video Player. Any other format and other members won't be able to view or download the videos as those video will not embed.

For Premium Memberships those are handled through the Payment Server CCBill.  Memberships are usually automatically updated but at the current time the automated process is not working so Memberships have to be done manually. The same is with a Premium Member renewing their Subscription. When you pay with CCBill they will send you an e-Mail confirming your payment. Once you receive that then you can send a PM to @StnCld316 with a Screenshot of the e-Mail and if that's not possible then you can forward the e-Mail Confirmation to [email protected]  and your account status can be updated or upgraded whichever the case may be. If you have paid using BTC then forward the receipt of that to me PM or by forwarding to the e-Mail address listed above.  I am not on here 24 Hours a day so if I get a response about a Premium Membership it will be looked after at the first available moment.

We Apologize for any inconveniences and hopefully the issues we currently face will be taken care of soon. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1

Thank you so much SC316, I have been waiting to hear of the latest developments.  What you mods and admin do for this forum, is above and beyond!!  I honestly only care about 2 things with the upgrade.  Number 1...I want my chimes back!  Number 2....I want to be able to set my text size at something bigger than a 14!!  Keep up the good work, it's much appreciated by me personally!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep I second what Harley says,you have dug me out the shit a few times and I really appreciate it. You have the patience of a saint.Thanks Stone👍

P.S.And thanks to all the others(especially one,he knows who he is)who have "persevered" with my Techy inadequacy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Presently the system seems to be bottlenecked and is very slow processing the posts. There are some posts where there are 2 or 3 posts of the original post. I am trying to clear those out as best as I can.

I have sent Admin an e-Mail notifying him of the current lagging of the system.  

Thanks.   StnCld316 - Forum Admin

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dave 27 said:

Yep I second what Harley says,you have dug me out the shit a few times and I really appreciate it. You have the patience of a saint.Thanks Stone👍

P.S.And thanks to all the others(especially one,he knows who he is)who have "persevered" with my Techy inadequacy.

980x.gif

tenor (25).gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Last evening the system was slow, this was due to Admin running a backup of the system. Backups are an essential part of any website which backups and saves all its data. It's a log drawn out process and uses up a lot of the systems resources. Unfortunately no time is a good time for doing backups as there are members on the forum 24/7 so a time to do backups is done when there is least amount of traffic.

Thanks.  StnCld316 - Forum Admin

• Thanks 5

3 hours ago, HarleyFatboy said:

Does the backup mean the new software version is almost here?  Also, the forum is running much quicker today and I hope the Admin was able to backup everything he needed for an easy transfer once the software upgrade is complete!

You should regularly back up any forum just in case some bug comes along and has the capability of wiping out everything. But, once the new software is ready, unless you are willing to lose a few hours of chat and other stuff, Admin should be able to load the back up into the new version and in an instant, the site changes. Otherwise, the site may be dark for a few hours while the transfer takes place. I'm sure he'll post plenty of notice about the scheduled time and date it will all take place. But, you can be sure half of the membership won't read it and complain the site was down. You'll see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TBG 150 said:

You should regularly back up any forum just in case some bug comes along and has the capability of wiping out everything. But, once the new software is ready, unless you are willing to lose a few hours of chat and other stuff, Admin should be able to load the back up into the new version and in an instant, the site changes. Otherwise, the site may be dark for a few hours while the transfer takes place. I'm sure he'll post plenty of notice about the scheduled time and date it will all take place. But, you can be sure half of the membership won't read it and complain the site was down. You'll see.

How's it going TBG....good info and I agree that it should probably be backed up on a regular basis.  I can also believe that half the membership won't read it, but lets hope there is not a lot of complaints lol.  Did the Admin tell the membership he was going to do a backup on the system and that it might run a little slower than usual?  I don't recall seeing it anywhere but I was half out of it yesterday anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HarleyFatboy said:

Does the backup mean the new software version is almost here?  Also, the forum is running much quicker today and I hope the Admin was able to backup everything he needed for an easy transfer once the software upgrade is complete!

Backups are a weekly or biweekly event.  I don't know if they are automated for a specific day & time or whether they're done manually at Admins discretion. 

It's not so much the Posts & Topics but the backing up of attachments is where a lot of the time is consumed as there are TB's upon TB's of Picture & Video Content.   

(TB's = Terabytes)

Just now, StnCld316 said:

Backups are a weekly or biweekly event.  I don't know if they are automated for a specific day & time or whether they're done manually at Admins discretion. 

It's not so much the Posts & Topics but the backing up of attachments is where a lot of the time is consumed as there are TB's upon TB's of Picture & Video Content.   

(TB's = Terabytes)

I wonder then if he didn't do his backup a different way than normal yesterday?  I very seldom experience the sluggishness like there was yesterday.