Tinnitus Anyone 🙉

Amy3

1 hour ago, me0369 said:

I suffer from it too, a couple of things that help me. Try a ear wax remover solution, I've read that when ear wax builds up it puts pressure on the ear drum or something and can cause ringing. I think this is my problem because its not constant, but comes and goes. I also sleep with a radio by my head with news or music running very low, but enough to drown it out a bit. It is horribly annoying but you can with some effort as with pain put it to the back of your mind if you try.  

thanks for the tips! i'm going to see my doctor today. i am praying that it's ear wax or even TMJ. if not, i'm fucked forever. it is so loud and it doesn't stop. i'm not the kind of person who can manage to live in this much agony. i'm so sad and scared. i can't concentrate and i feel dizzy and nauseous. it's horrible. 

2 hours ago, HarleyFatboy said:

Thank god you don't have a gun!!  Mine is just as bad and even though I can't ignore it, I've chose to accept it.  Sorry yours is so bad SC!!

After having it for 50 Years  I have sort of just put up with it.  There will come a point in time it will stop I just don't know when.

• Like 1

We lost one of my favorite members to tinnitus. He was the best story teller we ever had on this board. But his problem was so bad that it got to where he could not concentrate well enough to use a computer. So he doesn't log in anymore.

Don't let yours get to that level. Fuck the worries about "You might get Covid" and demand in-person help from your HMO or whatever.

Guest Slipper Guyquad

Had Tinnitus since 2000. The irony is i got it attending a Who tribute gig! The real thing didn't give it me, a copy did! As soon as i got outside and all the noise blended into one, plus when someone tried to talk to me it was all a blur, then i knew something had gone wrong. For me personally, it has lessened over the years, and while there is still a ringing there, it CAN be manageable. Funnily enough, what helped me was actually 'containing' it - Wearing ear plugs to sleep. What i found was that any 'extra' noise made things too complex, like for example, simply hearing a radio or TV in another room, you end up trying to listen to that through what your ears are sending right into you. So ear plugs cut out any excess noise, allowing my brain to solely focus on the one thing. I found that helped me to get used to it, and know it was there. Ear phones are a big no-no, you are simply pumping noise straight into them, try to avoid. Take plugs anywhere with you - A gig, a crowded club, even a sports venue (The volume level of the PA can be ridiculous). They help massively. Even sat at home quiet, they can bring a calm. Adjust the brain, it will respond.

1 hour ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

We lost one of my favorite members to tinnitus. He was the best story teller we ever had on this board. But his problem was so bad that it got to where he could not concentrate well enough to use a computer. So he doesn't log in anymore.

Don't let yours get to that level. Fuck the worries about "You might get Covid" and demand in-person help from your HMO or whatever.

sorry to hear that. i am genuinely scared. it's very loud and constant. i too am having problems concentrating and i feel dizzy and nauseous. i can't work. i just got back from seeing my doctor in person. my ears are clear and not irritated. i suffer from frequent headaches and i take advil fairly frequently. he thinks that may be the culprit. he is putting me on prednisone and i will have an appt with an ENT soon. i hope the prednisone works. 🙏

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Slipper Guyquad said:

Had Tinnitus since 2000. The irony is i got it attending a Who tribute gig! The real thing didn't give it me, a copy did! As soon as i got outside and all the noise blended into one, plus when someone tried to talk to me it was all a blur, then i knew something had gone wrong. For me personally, it has lessened over the years, and while there is still a ringing there, it CAN be manageable. Funnily enough, what helped me was actually 'containing' it - Wearing ear plugs to sleep. What i found was that any 'extra' noise made things too complex, like for example, simply hearing a radio or TV in another room, you end up trying to listen to that through what your ears are sending right into you. So ear plugs cut out any excess noise, allowing my brain to solely focus on the one thing. I found that helped me to get used to it, and know it was there. Ear phones are a big no-no, you are simply pumping noise straight into them, try to avoid. Take plugs anywhere with you - A gig, a crowded club, even a sports venue (The volume level of the PA can be ridiculous). They help massively. Even sat at home quiet, they can bring a calm. Adjust the brain, it will respond.

thanks for the tips. yes, headphones are bad news! ear plugs seems like bad idea for me. think that may make it worse. 

yes, this sound is just like the tinnitus you get from going to a loud concert. i went to see Metallica a few years ago and i suffered for that. after that i always wore ear plugs at every concert i went to. 

indeed! there seems to be some mental juggling required to manage this. i haven't figured out how to train myself to not pay attention to it so much. i'm more of the high stress, anxious type. not a good match for this condition.

Guest Slipper Guyquad
8 minutes ago, AmyAmyAmy said:

i'm more of the high stress, anxious type. not a good match for this condition.

That is key! Stress is a major 'Increaser' of the problem. And guess what? If you are bothered by something, you worry - Naturally! All very well someone saying 'Calm down'. You can't if it bothers you. But from my own personal experience, staying calm is a key factor. Acceptance is really a lot to do with it, it's like saying 'Ok, i'm living with you now. But i'm in charge'. When you are going about your daily routines, it doesn't get in the way, only when you then think about it and bingo, you notice it. One thing i would do is, after i went somewhere loud, but wore plugs, i would get outside, take them out, close my ears with fingers and the noise wouldn't have gone up, it was the same as before. That, i would say to myself, is a little victory. Just tiny things like that helps. Might not be better yet - BUT importantly, it hasn't got worse.

2 hours ago, AmyAmyAmy said:

sorry to hear that. i am genuinely scared. it's very loud and constant. i too am having problems concentrating and i feel dizzy and nauseous. i can't work. i just got back from seeing my doctor in person. my ears are clear and not irritated. i suffer from frequent headaches and i take advil fairly frequently. he thinks that may be the culprit. he is putting me on prednisone and i will have an appt with an ENT soon. i hope the prednisone works. 🙏

Prednisone is a Steroid.  Be careful while taking it.  The Pharmacist should give you documentation on this which will explain what it does and have a list of possible side effects that may develop.   

9 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

Prednisone is a Steroid.  Be careful while taking it.  The Pharmacist should give you documentation on this which will explain what it does and have a list of possible side effects that may develop.   

oh hey stn, yeah i know. i don't want to take it, but i'll do anything at this point. my doctor seems hopeful that my condition may not be permanent, but only time will tell. i need an ENT doctor to check me out. my head is still singing away at full volume. it's madness! i played the audio sound to my wife and she lasted about 2 seconds before she asked me to turn it off. 

i'm supposed to go to Palm Springs for the weekend. just a little worried about the cicada there. have to check to see if they are in season. last time i went there the cicada were super loud.