Rejolda (2021) Part #1

14 minutes ago, jabbath1987 said:

Okay I get the reason thy just built the chimney straight up the fireplace. Here they routed the exhausts from all fireplaces in the house to one or two central chimneys.  Like this:
waagerechtes-ofenrohr.jpg

Yeah that's a modern solution but our old houses usually have separate flues hence the many chimney pots. In our house we have 4 roof pots but 5 fire places, 2 of them merge into one flue. All flues are built into the main wall structure.

1 minute ago, Robwin said:

Yeah that's a modern solution but our old houses usually have separate flues hence the many chimney pots. In our house we have 4 roof pots but 5 fire places, 2 of them merge into one flue.

Interesting how much we learn about the different building styles... 👍
Is it common to have basements in England? Because I know in the US many houses do not have a basement. For me the basement and the attic were the most interesting places when I was a kid. I always went playing there 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sturmchaser said:

Same in America, older houses needed fireplaces in each, it was the only way to keep warm or even cook food in iron pots or skillets.  It is seen as "romantic" nowadays, but back then it was essential (and grueling).  My father still believed in this, and that's where I earned my biceps and forearms, from splitting and stacking firewood with an axe and maul.  Ahhh the good old days.  

firewood1.jpg

Yeah the in thing in uk in recent years is wood burning stoves so still need the logs but many use solid fuel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jabbath1987 said:

Interesting how much we learn about the different building styles... 👍
Is it common to have basements in England? Because I know in the US many houses do not have a basement. For me the basement and the attic were the most interesting places when I was a kid. I always went playing there 😁

Oh yes most older houses have basements and attics. By old I mean mid 1900's and older. Very sought after now by the more well off people. Most modern houses now are just bloody boxes with no fireplaces or chimneys, very boring but suppose better insulated and more efficient.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jabbath1987 said:

Very efficient. We have some of that new houses nearby here and after a year they all need to be treated because of mold everywhere 🙈

Afraid I can't comment on your crap builders 😂 but unfortunately some do exist over here as well. Many have the attitude I think, build them cheap and sell them high. Just money grabbing bastards 😂

• Like 1