Rejolda (2021) Part #1

12 hours ago, jabbath1987 said:

When we are talking about houses can you explain to me @Robwin why so many old houses in England have mutliple chimneys on the roof? Even the very old houses here have only one or two. This is what I mean:
chimneypot-austin-543765615-crop-56aadba

I would love to see a timeline of this house. All the changes to the brickwork, you wonder what it looked like originally.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jabbath1987 said:

Here too. They all look same and the build quality is horrible...

Well things have changed. My father lived in a 1946 German designed house which was streets ahead design wise with its english counterparts in the 70's. It also had a massive cellar.

2 hours ago, squish said:

It also had a massive cellar.

Cellars or even simple basements are rare these days.  I designed my basement to span the entire length of the main floor.  I was going to install a large wine refrigerator but discovered the temperature rarely goes above 60 F year round, perfect for cellaring reds, so I only had to buy a smaller one for the whites and bubbly (which I prefer around 45-50 F).  I also have an unfinished cubby out in my garage which serves as a "root cellar" where I store potatoes, onions, beets, leeks, turnips, etc, and they last for weeks or even months before turning.  Less refrigeration is a good thing LOL.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Robwin said:

Yeah the in thing in uk in recent years is wood burning stoves so still need the logs but many use solid fuel.

Yep, I've got a pellet stove in the offset from the living & dining room, and if I'm not careful, when that bitch gets going, I need to open the doors and winders in the middle of January just to cool off.  

• Haha 2

This is getting out of hand LOL.  REGGIE!  Please come home soon so we can get back to talking about YOU and your sweet little body and your funny little antics and your practicing English and your rambling Russian soliloquies and your pillow-lovemaking and ESPECIALLY spending quality time with your BFF Miss KristyKrabs!  We miss you!!  😁🥰😍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sturmchaser said:

Cellars or even simple basements are rare these days.  I designed my basement to span the entire length of the main floor.  I was going to install a large wine refrigerator but discovered the temperature rarely goes above 60 F year round, perfect for cellaring reds, so I only had to buy a smaller one for the whites and bubbly (which I prefer around 45-50 F).  I also have an unfinished cubby out in my garage which serves as a "root cellar" where I store potatoes, onions, beets, leeks, turnips, etc, and they last for weeks or even months before turning.  Less refrigeration is a good thing LOL.  

A brother of a friend of mine met an American girl about ten years ago and moved with her to Florida. And they also built a house there. But instead of building it out of wood like all other houses there they built it made out of armored concrete. The windows secured with steel rolling shutters. Each roof tile on the roof secured from the inside against storms. So when there are storm warnings and all the other people go into the shelters they just close the shutters stay inside and wait til its over. Neighbors had to rebuilt the wooden houses multiple times already. Most damage they ever had was a dent in one of the steel shutters 🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice, I approve.  Expensive at first, but in the long run it clearly pays for itself, especially in a place like FLA.  While we don't get extreme weather here in Virginia, I still built my log home with reinforced concrete, and the exterior is true whole log, not a facade.  A .50 caliber could not penetrate my walls.  I might have trouble with a tank shell, though.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'll never understand why people who have been devastated by a natural disaster once or even twice choose to continue living and/or rebuilding in the same cursed place, well knowing that it will happen again, sooner rather than later.  MOVE people, MOVE!  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sturmchaser said:

Nice, I approve.  Expensive at first, but in the long run it clearly pays for itself, especially in a place like FLA.  While we don't get extreme weather here in Virginia, I still built my log home with reinforced concrete, and the exterior is true whole log, not a facade.  A .50 caliber could not penetrate my walls.  I might have trouble with a tank shell, though.  

Why have the yanks started stockpiling fucking tanks now 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sturmchaser said:

I'll never understand why people who have been devastated by a natural disaster once or even twice choose to continue living and/or rebuilding in the same cursed place, well knowing that it will happen again, sooner rather than later.  MOVE people, MOVE!  

You would think so but for those living there their houses are probably worthless and unsellable. Like in the UK with those living in areas that flood easily, also almost uninsurable too.