C&Y possible guests topic

7 hours ago, HarleyFatboy said:

Hi Ashley, how are you?  I'm not familiar with the game laws in Pa. but I can tell you this, it all comes down to preparation and planning.  We plan and plant my place 2 times a year, once in the early spring to give the deer the necessary nutrients to replenish what they lost during the hunting season due to pressure and the rut, and once in the early fall to provide good sources of protein and iron which helps their antler growth and puts some spring back in their step.  We also put out trace mineral stations is different parts of the ranch which are homemade and the deer really like them.  Our mineral stations are earth based, meaning....that we just poor out a mixed up concoction of trace minerals straight on the ground and it usually lasts for 3 months.  We also make man made bedding areas and set the place up to keep deer in it instead of out of it.  Plenty of good food, water, and minerals is the key!!  Also, I don't know how Chestnut trees would do in your area, but the deer absolutely love Chestnut's.  A great source for natural protein!

I'm also not familiar if you are referring to your own place or not but if you are, it's never too late to start a game plan of your own.  Trust me, you will get a lot of pleasure out of seeing the results.  Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do!!

I'm not a hunter, but my Dad is and I go with him to spend time with him, which is my favorite time. I got nothing against hunting, just not for me personally. It really cool what you do giving back to the environment! We don't have our own place, but a friend of his lets us hunt on his property. A blight way back when killed most of the Chestuts in Philly and PA. Hope you have a safe season, let me know how you did!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ashleyxyz said:

I'm not a hunter, but my Dad is and I go with him to spend time with him, which is my favorite time. I got nothing against hunting, just not for me personally. It really cool what you do giving back to the environment! We don't have our own place, but a friend of his lets us hunt on his property. A blight way back when killed most of the Chestuts in Philly and PA. Hope you have a safe season, let me know how you did!

I understand and I think it's great that you go with your dad when he is going hunting to spend that special time with him!  What I (we) do by feeding the wildlife, only makes it better for all, the hunters and wildlife alike.  I would rather have a healthy herd instead of a weak herd any day.  We've had some bad blights down here with oak trees before so I know what you mean.  My suggestion is to plant more Chestnut trees.  We planted 13 Chestnut trees and lost 6 of them in the first month due to the deer eating the bark and all....they really love those darn things lol.  I'll be sure and let you know how we did after the season!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1