Another US School Shooting

rammer

1 hour ago, StnCld316 said:

Wow, hadn't heard about this, What a mess, the river there won't be fishable for years.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ashleyxyz said:

Wow, hadn't heard about this, What a mess, the river there won't be fishable for years.

There will likely be a lengthy Investigation and Costly Clean Up over that matter. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 3:11 AM, rammer said:

There are 17 dead, not there is 12 dead.  They weren't killed by baseball bats or swords.  Who the hell blamed guns or Trump Harley?  This doesn't happen in any other country.  So why do we allow this to happen here?

This happened in Norway (or was it Sweden) a few years back. Anyway, neither of those countries ban guns. I assert that their society has a lot to do with the lack of violence...unless you count the immigrant problem.

As there are a few here from Texas I can tell you that when I was in grade school in South Houston, the average truck in the parking lot had a shotgun or .22 rifle in the gun rack. And because it was bloody hot during much of the school year the windows were left cracked open. There was no gun violence on campus. What we did have was a strict dress code and corporal punishment usually accompanied by re-enforcement by the parents. Since then guns have been banned from campus but the violence has grown anyway. The guns didn't change, nor did their availability, what changed was society.  Parent don't discipline their kids as much; they have in fact allowed their children to disrespect there elders and that has festered into what we have today. I guarantee that if the parents would take back effective control of their households and enforce strict discipline of respect and responsibility for their kids' actions (of course the parents would have to do the same with themselves) you would see a considerable change in our society as a whole.

I don't want the government to solve this problem. They can't even run themselves properly. The only ones qualified to fix this is us. We have to take back control of our society. It's the only way if we want to remain a free society.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ww_watcher said:

This happened in Norway (or was it Sweden) a few years back. Anyway, neither of those countries ban guns. I assert that their society has a lot to do with the lack of violence...unless you count the immigrant problem.

As there are a few here from Texas I can tell you that when I was in grade school in South Houston, the average truck in the parking lot had a shotgun or .22 rifle in the gun rack. And because it was bloody hot during much of the school year the windows were left cracked open. There was no gun violence on campus. What we did have was a strict dress code and corporal punishment usually accompanied by re-enforcement by the parents. Since then guns have been banned from campus but the violence has grown anyway. The guns didn't change, nor did their availability, what changed was society.  Parent don't discipline their kids as much; they have in fact allowed their children to disrespect there elders and that has festered into what we have today. I guarantee that if the parents would take back effective control of their households and enforce strict discipline of respect and responsibility for their kids' actions (of course the parents would have to do the same with themselves) you would see a considerable change in our society as a whole.

I think you'll find that Sweden and Norway (Anders Brevik committed his massacre in Norway) have very strict gun control laws, that are in line with other European countries.  The difference between a hunting rifle and a semi-automatic/fully-automatic weapon of war are clearly defined. It is illegal to carry a gun in public unless you are licensed to have one and you are transporting it to carry out the activity for which you are licensed for.  The hunting exam in Sweden (I am English but took the exam a few years after coming to Sweden) is massively strict and took a few weeks of study with my father-in-law's hunting group.

I'm not saying Swedish or European people are better but you'll also note the massive difference in the total number of mass-shootings compared between here and the US.  I think if you totaled up the number of mass-shootings in Scandinavia (all four countries) over the past 40 years the number would still be less than what happens in the US in one month - and that is obviously taking into account that per-capita Sweden welcomes more refugees than most other countries yet still does not see the huge crime rates that right-wing fantasists like to tell themselves is going on over here.

Maybe as you wrote it was a better time back then, who knows for sure what the difference in comparison between now and then across the countries is - but there is one undeniable fact in all of this - when people in Europe lose their shit for whatever reason, they do not have easy access to weapons of war that allow them to kill 20 people instead of 3 or 4 before they are taken down.

• Like 1

This is a serious topic.  Here is an Australian comic talking about US gun control.  Part 1.  Sometimes there's truth in comedy.  Just another perspective to consider for you dug in NRA folks.

• 2 months later...