Critique of the new CC rule of no general chat-topics.

11 minutes ago, ed2 said:

And if the format were the true problem causing less postings, then why isn't it so in the VHTV-section.

No one said anything about the Format being a problem. Admin made a decision to try something and that's what was done. I don't know what has to be so difficult about following Attention to Detail.

The Apartment Boards at VHTV were made as per Specification of VHTV. We just followed their wishes at the way they wanted their Boards to be Set Up.  

7 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

No one said anything about the Format being a problem. Admin made a decision to try something and that's what was done. I don't know what has to be so difficult about following Attention to Detail.

The Apartment Boards at VHTV were made as per Specification of VHTV. We just followed their wishes at the way they wanted their Boards to be Set Up.  

Related image

Just to chime in on a few things. First thing, while I might "own" the forum, I don't really consider it mine, it belongs to the community. My job is mostly technical, I try to stay hands off so that I don't inadvertently direct or influence the conversation. Secondly, this change was done for several reasons and it's certainly not set in stone, it's more of an experiment.  When search engines crawl the site having one or two threads makes it appear as though there is far less conversation or interest in the topic. Particularly lately there have been a lot of sites popping up that use blackhat seo techniques and spam to boost their rankings, this has negatively impacted the rankings for CamCaps as we don't spam or use blackhat techniques. When our ranking drops we aren't able to reach as many people. My goal is/was to increase the topic count to show that there is more than just one or two threads (even if they are 100+ pages long). Additionally,  I tend to think that new visitors will be more inclined to participate if they see several different topics rather than one large thread, it can be hard to follow a conversation if it takes place over 50 pages. With that being said, I can understand your complaints and I think that we can come to a compromise. Fundamentally, this was done solely to increase participation and posting, if it's having the opposite effect then we need to address it.  I will work with the mods to see if we can come up with a better way to go about this. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Admin said:

Just to chime in on a few things. First thing, while I might "own" the forum, I don't really consider it mine, it belongs to the community. My job is mostly technical, I try to stay hands off so that I don't inadvertently direct or influence the conversation. Secondly, this change was done for several reasons and it's certainly not set in stone, it's more of an experiment.  When search engines crawl the site having one or two threads makes it appear as though there is far less conversation or interest in the topic. Particularly lately there have been a lot of sites popping up that use blackhat seo techniques and spam to boost their rankings, this has negatively impacted the rankings for CamCaps as we don't spam or use blackhat techniques. When our ranking drops we aren't able to reach as many people. My goal is/was to increase the topic count to show that there is more than just one or two threads (even if they are 100+ pages long). Additionally,  I tend to think that new visitors will be more inclined to participate if they see several different topics rather than one large thread, it can be hard to follow a conversation if it takes place over 50 pages. With that being said, I can understand your complaints and I think that we can come to a compromise. Fundamentally, this was done solely to increase participation and posting, if it's having the opposite effect then we need to address it.  I will work with the mods to see if we can come up with a better way to go about this. 

Thank you sir for clearing things up for the everyone. We sure appreciate you chiming in. We look forward to working with everyone to find a solution. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Admin said:

What you could do and should do is to have a general chat topic for those who likes that, but at the same time allow for people to make their own topics about different things they like to discuss or comment about regarding the specific apt or house., then all would be happy and you would still get some more topics and post and be more noticed and maybe get better rank.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

Look at it this way. If we never Started the General Chat's on January 1st 2016 and left everything with Multiple Topics we would not be debating and discussing this issue today.

So what was the reason you started the general chat, was it not to make it more simple and gather things in one place? 🙂

So here is the compromise: 

1. You can create General Topic threads if you want (1 per forum) 

2. CC mods will not pin or create General Topic threads, if you want to pin a General Topic thread you can do so using your points 

3. General Topic threads will be split and locked after 30 pages 

4. The points for new topics will be set at 25, where as the points for replies will remain at 5 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fagen said:

So what was the reason you started the general chat, was it not to make it more simple and gather things in one place? 🙂

On 5/16/2018 at 5:33 PM, CowArt said:

Up to a point, you are right. For a "specific topic" a separate thread would work. The problem however is that there aren't very much "specific topics" that generate a lot of posts. I did as StnCld suggested and took a dive in the archives. I see that a topic was created not even daily, more like once every two days on average and that those topics got very little replies. That changed when @Frankster started his first "What are they doing now..." topics late 2015 that in 2016 became the General Chat topics started by the Admins, the first topics that had on average over a hundred posts per day.

The General Chats were started for a simple reason then: They catered to something the community apparently wanted. The staff of this forum seems the only group that wants to go back to the pre-2016 situation. Why? To be able to "find" something? I agree, it will be much easier to find something in five topics per week with ten posts each than in one topic with over a hundred posts per day. But I think most users don't come here to find something, but to have a (slow-)chat with the other users about what they seen on camera.