Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #2

7 minutes ago, Dave 27 said:

Memo to myself:Find some gullible dope to pay my airfare.Oh yeh Try Somerset!!😀

Lol funnily enough I do the same as Stone, you would be surprised at the amount of thick bastards out there who own computers and are always fucking then up. I may just about to be able to think of one right now in fact 🤣😁

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Lol funnily enough I do the same as Stone, you would be surprised at the amount of thick bastards out there who own computers and are always fucking then up. I may just about to be able to think of one right now in fact 🤣😁

Now I wonder who that could be!!?😀If I lived in Somerset you would have flitted months ago!!(with no forwarding address)😀

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, moos54 said:

All I know is that chloroquine is always associated with an antibiotic, it is never taken alone, normally most doctors follow this protocol implemented by this famous doctor that you mentioned

now if another doctor achieves the same healing results by not using chloroquine but only the antibiotic, I tell myself that maybe we can dig into the question of what is a real drug that treats people

not possible,because Covid19 is classed as a virus and

Antibiotics cannot kill viruses because bacteria and viruses have different mechanisms and machinery to survive and replicate. The antibiotic has no “target” to attack in a virus.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

This is why they are used in conjunction with each other moos.

Why don’t antibiotics kill viral infections, and how can overuse of an antibiotic lead to “antibiotic resistance”?

• Antibiotics cannot kill viruses because viruses have different structures and replicate in a different way than bacteria.
  • Antibiotics work by targeting the growth machinery in bacteria (not viruses) to kill or inhibit those particular bacteria.
  • When you think about it structurally, it makes sense that an antibiotic could not work to kill a virus with a completely different set of replicating “machinery”.

14 minutes ago, happyone said:

Antibiotics cannot kill viruses because bacteria and viruses have different mechanisms and machinery to survive and replicate. The antibiotic has no “target” to attack in a virus.

I can't find the article I read anymore

Actually he uses the antibiotic with two other things but I don't know what exactly

Since chloroquine remains a controversial drug especially for its harmful side effects, he tried something else

I myself am not a doctor but if one of them happens to have the same figures with another method, I find it interesting for everyone

4 promising coronavirus cures are now part of a massive drug megatrial

• The World Health Organization is spearheading a massive COVID-19 drug trial that will include thousands of patients in participating countries.
  • The Solidarity megatrial will focus on four distinct therapies that include drugs that are already approved for other ailments, but have shown promise in treating some COVID-19 cases.
  • The purpose of the study is to obtain more evidence about the efficacy and safety of these therapies, and hopefully device a standardized treatment protocol for those infected with the novel coronavirus. 
  • The object of this widespread testing is to allow physicians to offer patients the best possible care with the resources that are already available to them. Drugs that have been previously approved for use in treating other diseases could be used to improve the condition of the hundreds of thousands of patients who have been admitted to hospitals around the world, increase the recovery speed, and reduce the number of fatalities. Comparatively, developing a brand new drug specifically for the COVID-19 illness might take years, which is why WHO and participating countries are fast-tracking this worldwide trial of drugs that are already widely available. 

The study is called “Solidarity” and it was announced a few days ago. It’s meant to determine which of the four most popular therapies being used to treat COVID-19 are the most effective and safest for patients.

The Solidarity trial will include thousands of patients in several countries including Argentina, Bahrain, Canada, France, Iran, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, and Thailand. ScienceMag also reports that the French National Research Institute for Medical Research (INSERM) is coordinating an add-on trial in Europe called Discovery that will include 3,200 patients from seven countries (Benelux countries, Germany, France, Spain, and the UK). 

Solidarity and Discovery will be similar when it comes to the drugs that are being tested, except for chloroquine, which will not be included in the European-only trial.

Unlike regular clinical trials that are double-blind so that patients won’t know if they’re getting the drug that’s tested or a placebo, the new studies will test the new therapies on all patients. Participating hospitals can enroll subjects with ease. The doctor will enter the patient’s data in a WHO site, including preexisting conditions that could alter the course of the COVID-19 disease, and the participant will have to sign an informed consent form. The physician will also list the available drugs in the hospital, and the WHO will randomly assign the patient to one of the therapies available. After that, physicians will only have to record the day the patient leaves the hospital or dies, and whether he or she required oxygen or ventilation. 

Remdesivir, a drug developed to combat the Ebola epidemic, appears to be the most promising of the four therapies, as the experimental drug has already proved to be effective against the SARS and MERS viruses.

Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine may sound familiar, and that’s because President Trump touted them on the news, saying they’re “game-changers” and that he felt “good” about them. The significant attention the two drugs received recently may be the main reason the WHO is including these two drugs in Solidarity. Researchers in France also said the drugs showed promise treating COVID-19 but more extensive testing was needed. Some scientists worry that the doses needed to fight the novel coronavirus might be too high to warrant consideration. “Researchers have tried this drug on virus after virus, and it never works out in humans. The dose needed is just too high,” University of Giessen pulmonary infections expert Dr. Susanne Herold told Science Mag. New reports reveal that the first cases of chloroquine poisoning appeared in Nigeria immediately following Trump’s remarks.

Solidarity will also test a ritonavir/lopinavir anti-viral compound sold as Kaletra, which is included in HIV treatment. The combo was used in China with little success, but the study only included very-ill subjects, with more than a fifth of the 199 patients included in the double-blind test having died. The drug may have been given too late to make a difference. 

• Finally, the fourth therapy that will be tested by countries taking part in Solidarity and Discovery will mix ritonavir/lopinavir with interferon beta. This combo was used for MERS patients in Saudi-Arabia. The treatment may have unwanted side-effects if given too late though, and according to Herold, it could lead to “worse tissue damage instead of helping patients.”

• Like 3

Most respiratory influenza's do not directly kill their hosts. Instead, it is the damage that they cause within the lungs. This invites one of the leading killers of humans: pneumonia -- courtesy of multiple bacteria.

This is why antibiotics are useful as a form of treatment in addition to respiratory aids (ventilators, C-Paps, supplemental oxygen, etc.)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, happyone said:

True...Antibiotics target bacterial structures such as cell wall and protein synthesis. These target sites aren't present in viruses. 

However antibiotic resistance is a huge problem worldwide now. Over prescription of antibiotics for minor infections, such as many viral infections and throwing 'heavy duty',  antibiotics where 1st line drugs would suffice have added to this problem. So bacteria develop resistance over time to drugs which use to be the new kids on the block...Look at Methicillin and the way MRSA kicked off big style!! Some infections from patients from 3rd world countries develop resistance to all 1st, 2nd and 3rd line drugs, therefore a nightmare to manage...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

Most respiratory influenza's do not directly kill their hosts. Instead, it is the damage that they cause within the lungs. This invites one of the leading killers of humans: pneumonia -- courtesy of multiple bacteria.

This is why antibiotics are useful as a form of treatment in addition to respiratory aids (ventilators, C-Paps, supplemental oxygen, etc.)

Yes...the bacterial  infection, such as Pneumonia and bronchitis, is often the secondary infection which sets in after a viral infection had lowered the bodies defences...

• Like 3

The field of genetics has much to offer in our struggle against all sorts of diseases, as well as helping to better understand the human immune system.

On the other hand, it's like nuclear energy: Genetic engineering can also create hideous weapon of war. No wild bats or wet markets required...just a top-rated weapons lab.

😬:sad:🥵

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

The field of genetics has much to offer in our struggle against all sorts of diseases, as well as helping to better understand the human immune system.

On the other hand, it's like nuclear energy: Genetic engineering can also create hideous weapon of war. No wild bats or wet markets required...just a top-rated weapons lab.

😬:sad:🥵

What you posted is all very true, but if we allow ourselves to not  further and study genetics and fear what a few might create (as in your second statement), then the multitudes

will not benefit from it's possible benefits (as in your first statement) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ridgerunner said:

The 5.5% rate is so far from what the final recovery rate will be that it is meaningless.

It's what it is now. I don't have a crystal ball. I can't predict the future.

4 hours ago, Ridgerunner said:

Do you really believe that 94.5% of infected people are going to die?

You just love twisting words around. I didn't say anything even remotely
close to that.