Discussion:2019 Novel Corona Virus (Covid19) and It's Political Ramifications #3

6 minutes ago, SPYING 1 said:

That drug 💉 has been around for over 60 years, it's proven 

It's proven as a treatment for malaria, but not for an illness with
completely different symptoms. If you cross-prescribe drugs for
diseases they're not designed for, you could run into major side
effect problems and cause more harm than good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

It takes a long time to conduct a proper clinical drug trial.  One of the hydroxychloroquine trials that is sponsored by The Gate Foundation use Vitamin C as the placebo. This is kind of fucked up. Vitamin E has a known benefit to people with flu like symptoms. So, why would they use Vitamin C as a comparator in stead of an actual inert placebo?  It's not a high doe of Vitamin C, but still, why?  

BTW, absorbic acid is Vitamin C!

Ain't got a clue hun my medical knowledge extends to taking an aspirin for a headache or shoving an inhaler in my mouth if i get an asthma spasm :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

You know well that doctors prescribe medicines off label all the time. Show me a drug and I'll show you a list of side-effects. The reason Hydrochloroquine was given emergency approval is because it did show some effectiveness against SARS in the early 2000's and also because it is at least something when at the time there was nothing. Yes, there are certain people who are at a higher risk depending on their commodities.  These have to be taken into consideration. My mother-in-law takes Vioxx for arthritis even though it has a black label warning. Her choice is to take the increased risk of a heart attack or be immobile with arthritis. She's willing to take the risk. I would too! 

I worked on a drug study once for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and I heard a patient once say it like this when it came to taking risky drugs. If you're in an airplane and it's going to crash into a mountain and you will surely die, but you have a 1% chance of surviving if you jump out of the plane, what would you do? Me, I'd take my changes jumping out of the plane. 

Better if you put a parachute on first better odds then lol. Suppose its much the same with either tried and tested drugs or untested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amy3 said:

It takes a long time to conduct a proper clinical drug trial.  One of the hydroxychloroquine trials that is sponsored by The Gate Foundation use Vitamin C as the placebo. This is kind of fucked up. Vitamin C has a known benefit to people with flu like symptoms. So, why would they use Vitamin C as a comparator in stead of an actual inert placebo?  It's not a high doe of Vitamin C, but still, why?  

BTW, absorbic acid is Vitamin C!

CLINICALTRIALS.GOV

Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 Post-exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) - Full Text View.

Conclusion: Vitamin C in megadoses administered before or after the appearance of cold and flu symptoms relieved and prevented the symptoms in the test population compared with the control group.

PUBMED.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

Vitamin C in megadoses administered before or after the appearance of cold and flu symptoms relieved and prevented the symptoms in the test...

Maybe to purposely sabotage the results of the study.

2 hours ago, Robwin said:

Maybe so but proven it ain't. If it was why isn't it in general use as a wonder drug with all country's endorsing it. Even the USA won't endorse it despite what many think they know. JMO.

Maybe because Trump promoted the drug, and they will never agree to anything he promotes? Or maybe because the drug is inexpensive and there's not much money to be made from it compared to the profits to be made from a newly patented drug or vaccine. Or maybe because the news media won't cover the positive results that a number of doctors have had with the drug in treating patients with covid-19.

6 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

Well that’s why drugs have to go through the long process of clinical trials. A new drug usually has to go through 3 phases of trials before it can be approved by the FDA. It takes years and most drugs fail along the way. Since Hydroxychoroquin is already approved, these trials are consider phase 4 studies. Basically a drug that is trying to gain an new indication approval. By in large a drug in this category has already been proven to be safe. If it wasn’t safe for people with malaria, rheumatoid arthritis, or lupus to take it would not have been approved. Yes, taking it for COVID-19 is a new case, but it’s not fair to just say it’s an unsafe drug, it clearly is safe enough to have been approved for these indications. It is possible that it could make patients with COVID worse or not have any impact at all, thus the need for clinical trials. Unfortunately, time is a factor and perhaps in some cases where the patient in question doesn’t have any contraindications to taking hydroxychloraquin, then it make be worth a shot as long as the patient is monitored, particularly for any QT prolongation findings. 

You are too well informed on this. No one on here will ever listen to you.:sad:

I heard something about Yale University releasing results today of a study they had just completed on hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for covid-19. Need to check the news media tomorrow to see if that is true; and if so, what the study concluded. I just checked the internet and couldn't find anything.

7 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

This is what I do for a living. I primarily work with medications designed to treat central nervous system disorders, but I have worked in many other areas as well. I’m not a doctor, but I do get to tell doctors where they fucked up. 😃

I don't have any medical expertise, but it seems to me that the news media should fairly present both sides of an argument. The only place I have seen doctors who present a history of successfully treating covid-19 with hydroxychloroquine or covid-19 patients who say hydroxychloroquine saved their lives is on Fox News. Fox News also interviews experts who argue the drug is untested for use in treating covid-19, but on the other "news" networks all I see are negative stories about hydroxychloroquine. Never see any of the doctors who say they have successfully used hydroxychloroquine to treat covid-19 patients.

1 minute ago, Amy3 said:

Sadly, the news isn't objective, it's biased, ad based, entertainment for profit.  They can't even sort out the number of COVID deaths into proper categories. Why?

Everything has become so political in this country that it has become almost impossible to learn the truth about anything. I guess you just take in as many sources as possible, and then decide what seems most plausible. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Amy3 said:

You know well that doctors prescribe medicines off label all the time. Show me a drug and I'll show you a list of side-effects. The reason Hydrochloroquine was given emergency approval is because it did show some effectiveness against SARS in the early 2000's and also because it is at least something when at the time there was nothing. Yes, there are certain people who are at a higher risk depending on their comorbidities.  These have to be taken into consideration. My mother-in-law takes Vioxx for arthritis even though it has a black label warning. Her choice is to take the increased risk of a heart attack or be immobile with arthritis. She's willing to take the risk. I would too! 

I worked on a drug study once for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and I heard a patient once say it like this when it came to taking risky drugs. If you're in an airplane and it's going to crash into a mountain and you will surely die, but you have a 1% chance of surviving if you jump out of the plane, what would you do? Me, I'd take my changes jumping out of the plane. 

Hi Amy,are you in the Medical Profession in some shape or form?.You can always tell me to mind my own business though.

Dr.Daniel Wallace of UCLA and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center said he has treated thousands of lupus patients with hydroxychloroquine for 46 years  and never seen any serious side effects. ( interview of the doctor was in the April 8, 2020 issue of EDUCATION NEWS).