Naga's Kitchen Part #1

nagachilli2

7 hours ago, happyman88 said:

Think we must all be around similar ages naga since the cuisine Dave speaks of was luxury to us as little ‘uns. Nothing wrong with potted heid although not so keen on trotters but tripe was like caviar for us, poached in milk with a few baby onions and if you can cap that then eels , boiled with mashed  spuds or jellied is the ultimate for me. Growing up in London in the 50’s I’d stand outside Manz’s eel shop waiting for punters to buy fresh eels just to watch the fishmonger take them out of the ice in the galvanised tray to gut and chop them. Childhood memories eh 🤔 living in Scotland now for many years you can’t get them for love nor money but still the memories linger on!  Into Italian food now and copious quantities of red wine 🍷 👌

The first time I tried eel I seriously hurt my gums as I didn't realise there is a bone in them.It was a stall in Soho in London 1967 and I had just watched Scotland beat England at Wembley.Luckily I was pissed as an arse so it didn't hurt too much,actually if the truth be told I felt no pain all weekend😁👍🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺.

On another occasion I was in London I had a sandwich with a large slice of hot ham, simple but truly scrumptious.👍

52 minutes ago, TBG 150 said:

Thanks for the laugh Rob. That capped off the day just right. 

Having a British mother, I ate all that was aforementioned in some way at some time. She taught me to be frugal and not waste food. She grew up during WWII, when rationing was in full force. She would tell me stories of how in their family, they counted the peas on each others plate so that one didn't get one more than the other and that if they went to bed, they wouldn't be hungry for the lack of food. Today's lot has life a hell of a lot easier and they still cry and complain about it. Imagine if they had to live through a full out war on their home soil. They have no idea and frankly, neither do I.

My mum came from the Fair Isle which is located near the Shetland islands and it's only 3 miles by 1 mile in size so you can imagine that life was tough.No electricity,no proper drainage,the crofts they lived in were basic in the extreme and this lifestyle built character and resilience.There food source was okay as they were sheep farmers,fishermen,and poultry was plentiful so you can see how nothing was wasted living such a hard life.It's no wonder I was "exposed" to some of the meals she prepared.The inhabitants of Fair isle had one main source of income,they knitted Fair Isle jumpers, scarves etc using wool from their sheep and it still exists to this day all be it with much more modern equipment.Sorry gone off topic again!!!!.

I still don't know how ANYBODY can eat tripe though😩👎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave 27 said:

My mum came from the Fair Isle which is located near the Shetland islands and it's only 3 miles by 1 mile in size so you can imagine that life was tough.No electricity,no proper drainage,the crofts they lived in were basic in the extreme and this lifestyle built character and resilience.There food source was okay as they were sheep farmers,fishermen,and poultry was plentiful so you can see how nothing was wasted living such a hard life.It's no wonder I was "exposed" to some of the meals she prepared.The inhabitants of Fair isle had one main source of income,they knitted Fair Isle jumpers, scarves etc using wool from their sheep and it still exists to this day all be it with much more modern equipment.Sorry gone off topic again!!!!.

One delicacy we often had when kids was sheeps brains, fucking lovely.👍

10 minutes ago, Dave 27 said:

Wasn't the original 'Wicker Man' set there?...😉

9 minutes ago, Robwin said:

One delicacy we often had when kids was sheeps brains, fucking lovely.👍

Now that is brave...
My good mate has a butchers shop, so an endless supply of meat. We were invited for a meal with another couple and it turned out to be a real meatfest! The main course was a trio of meats...a slab of beef shin cooked in red wine overnight, a chunk of Oxtail and a whole lambs tongue...Tbh, it was delicious, but I don't think the girls were too keen 🤣

• Haha 2