Masha - (2024) #4

3 hours ago, Keen Observer said:

I thought maybe Masha had plucked him from the circus.  I'll bet he can juggle with the best of them.

Roxy and her friend must feel like they are living in "The Land of the Giants" when visiting Masha 
Step Over Doin Time GIF by Lana Del Rey

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Lasse said:

It happens that I use it. Mind you it is NOT in a racist way. Most of my life it has been the normal word to use and I belive it still is in many languages.

Using that word in english has been racist for at least 30 years I'd say. Even before it always had a condescending note to it at best.

In any case, it comes straight from slavery of black people from a geographical region that used to be named "Negroland/Nigrita" where portugese used to capture people there (as soon as 1442). 

I'm having a hard time finding any case where the use of the word "nigger" could be appropriate in any setting in English unless you're black, and using it as a revendication toward discrimination. 

French has a legitimate use of the word "nègre" (which is the translation of nigger). In that case it stands for a "ghost writer", but its use tend to disappear because of the racist connotation of the word and we replaced it with other words.

The way you use it, the fact you mention you did not use it strongly indicates that you're probably racist, and maybe trying not to be (but not doing a very good job at it). If you're trying not to be, keep up the good job !

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, itohkata said:

Using that word in english has been racist for at least 30 years I'd say. Even before it always had a condescending note to it at best.

In any case, it comes straight from slavery of black people from a geographical region that used to be named "Negroland/Nigrita" where portugese used to capture people there (as soon as 1442). 

I'm having a hard time finding any case where the use of the word "nigger" could be appropriate in any setting in English unless you're black, and using it as a revendication toward discrimination. 

French has a legitimate use of the word "nègre" (which is the translation of nigger). In that case it stands for a "ghost writer", but its use tend to disappear because of the racist connotation of the word and we replaced it with other words.

The way you use it, the fact you mention you did not use it strongly indicates that you're probably racist, and maybe trying not to be (but not doing a very good job at it). If you're trying not to be, keep up the good job !

First of all, I'm NOT a  racist. I judge people from their interior and not their exterior!! The word itself emanates from the latin word "nigreos" meaning "black". Most of my 70+ life it was used without any bad thoughts. And then all of a sudden it became  a really bad word !! I have accepted that but may say it thoughtlessly out of old habits. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Lasse said:

First of all, I'm NOT a  racist. I judge people from their interior and not their exterior!! The word itself emanates from the latin word "nigreos" meaning "black". Most of my 70+ life it was used without any bad thoughts. And then all of a sudden it became  a really bad word !! I have accepted that but may say it thoughtlessly out of old habits. 

You ought to hear them amongst their own race, a black will call another black person a "N" quite often. It's accepted amongst their own but anyone else says it are labelled as being racist.

41 minutes ago, Freddie57 said:

You ought to hear them amongst their own race, a black will call another black person a "N" quite often. It's accepted amongst their own but anyone else says it are labelled as being racist.

You ought to hear what they call us whities !!!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lasse said:

The fact that you mentioned her color indicates that you do indeed judge people by their exterior. Then you doubled down by implying a pejorative 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Douglasss said:

The fact that you mentioned her color indicates that you do indeed judge people by their exterior. Then you doubled down by implying a pejorative 

I didn't mention color! I made it easy for me and described her as African!! What is most disturbing is all this "hairsplitting" when discussing these things. So finally: I am not a racist!! End of dicussion!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lasse said:

I didn't mention color! I made it easy for me and described her as African!! What is most disturbing is all this "hairsplitting" when discussing these things. So finally: I am not a racist!! End of dicussion!!

Dude, you're racist. You may not accept it, you may not realize it, you may not wish it, but everything you say demonstrate it. Don't believe me (or the others), that's fine. That won't change the reality of it tho. 

You're probably not a big racist, and you're probably not even responsible for it. You grew at a different time, and racism was the norm. You're probably too old to change now, but know that you are racist. Maybe not by the standards of when you were young, but by today's standards, yes.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, itohkata said:

Dude, you're racist. You may not accept it, you may not realize it, you may not wish it, but everything you say demonstrate it. Don't believe me (or the others), that's fine. That won't change the reality of it tho. 

You're probably not a big racist, and you're probably not even responsible for it. You grew at a different time, and racism was the norm. You're probably too old to change now, but know that you are racist. Maybe not by the standards of when you were young, but by today's standards, yes.

It's not that big of deal.  Time to get back on topic of the apartment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

It's not that big of deal.  Time to get back on topic of the apartment.

yeah, sorry, something might have been interesting in the apartment and we missed it.