Current Events in the News (commentary) Split #2

High and dry ... The United States says it does not want to get invovled as Turkey launches air attacks against Kurdish fighters who have been resisting Islamic State jihadists in northern Syria and Iraq. Source: AFP

So if the Kurds are being armed and supported by the UK, France and the US, which aligns them with the coalition, why has the US turned a blind eye to what the Turks are doing?

The Kurds are having a significant effect, directly or indirectly supporting the Syrian government. Russia is supporting Syria, so what would happen if Russia accidently helped the Kurds against the Turks? Far fetched? The US doesn't want Russia involved because they fear the possibility of accidental conflict with coalition forces. They think it's possible.

I was going to say this is a total cluster fuck, but this isn't a military mistake, this is a calculated political decision and further undermines the credibility of the US government. Who benefits, potentially Obama's muslim mates.

So if the Kurds are being armed and supported by the UK, France and the US, which aligns them with the coalition, why has the US turned a blind eye to what the Turks are doing?

Turkey is a member of NATO, and, basically, the Kurds are the only decent group around there, but then again, the US treats its allies like crap now, and arms its enemies. It's part of Obama's foreign policy to spread peace throughout the world: Peace through surrender.

Turkey is a member of NATO, and, basically, the Kurds are the only decent group around there, but then again, the US treats its allies like crap now, and arms its enemies. It's part of Obama's foreign policy to spread peace throughout the world: Peace through surrender.

The whole NATO, ME Coalition, UN Security Forces etc etc is just a total blur.

The Kurds are probably the most effective local army on the ground fighting ISIS, if for no other reason than they are fighting them head on, not turning and running. When the Iraqi army abandoned Mosul, they left ISIS a fleet of Humvees as well as other US military equipment. In addition, ISIS has between 50 and 60 Russian tanks in it's arsenal.

As for support from the coalition to the Kurds, that appears to be a lot of talk. There is a huge difference between what the US Govt promised to supply and what has been delivered, the reason being that the supply has to be approved by Baghdad first. The UK appears to have provided just 40 heavy machine guns to date. France apparently may be limited to just moral support.

Germany however, maybe finally realising they are under attack by the muslims, have just committed nearly USD$15 million in advanced military equipment to the Kurds.

The real agenda for Obama in this instance, has nothing to do with fighting ISIS, it's not giving the Kurds any recognition that might aid in their quest for independence, which would greatly upset Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Iran. In addition, now that Turkey is bombing them consistently and the shortfall in supplies of equipment, there is every chance ISIS could cash in on their vulnerability and severely weaken the Kurds, killing off any chance of independence.

Interestingly, Pentagon figures put ISIS fighting forces at between 20 - 30,000 troops. Pashmerga (the Kurdish army) at around 190,000 troops. Imagine if the Kurds were adequately equipped, without the constraints of outdated rules of engagement, fighting for their survival. 

Germany however, maybe finally realising they are under attack by the muslims, have just committed nearly USD$15 million in advanced military equipment to the Kurds.

Some times, and this will probably upset many of my European friends on CC, but some times, I think that Germany is the only wise man in Europe.

Tonight, THOUSANDS of Melburnians are attending a candlelight vigil to honour the life of a refugee boy who drowned as his family fled Syria.  A HUGE crowd braved a cold, drizzly night to gather in the Treasury Gardens in memory of Syrian boy Aylan Kurdi.

Sadly, no one (except his mates) is honouring the life of Iraq veteran Matthew Millhouse who died this week, aged just 36. He was in an ASLAV that was blown up by an IED in 2004, suffered severe concussion and went on to develop dementia. Matthew had been living in a nursing home for the last few years of his life.

I found out from a mate who was in the same unit, 2nd Cavalry Regiment. I didn't hear anything from the Army's media and found the article in a regional report.

Dying from dementia means it is likely that as the disease progressed, Matthew didn't remember his wife Terese and their young daughter Eleanor. Fortunately, his mates will remember and be supporting them even though the nation doesn't seem to care.

digger.jpg

Too little, too late.

Waves of people are arriving in Europe for “opportunistic” economic reasons rather than because they fear for their lives, the Liberal backbencher Cory Bernardi has argued.

Speaking on Monday against a Greens motion urging Australia to resettle an extra 20,000 Syrian and Iraqi refugees, Bernardi said the country needed an ordered migration system and could not simply open its borders to anyone.

“At this stage, I do not believe there is any need for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people to be ditching their identification and trying to get into Europe for reasons of safety,” Bernardi told the Senate. “Many of these people have been very safely ensconced, working and housed in places like Turkey for many years.

“This seems to me to be becoming an opportunistic cycle which is masking the true humanitarian need that is the responsibility of all western nations.”

Bernardi also criticised the father of Aylan Kurdi, the drowned three-year-old boy whose photograph sparked an outpouring of public sorrow and sympathy.

“The facts remain that that terrible image was not brought about by recent events in Syria or Iraq,” Bernardi said. “That boy and his family had lived in Turkey for three years. The money for that boy’s father to pay the people smugglers was sent from Canada.

“The father sent them on that boat so the father could get dental treatment. They were in no fear, they were in no persecution and they were in no danger in Turkey.”

Ozi,

this is my thoughts on muzzie "refugees" going into Australia.  I say let them come all they want there.  But on one condition. They have to settle the Outback.  They have to make their own towns and villages. 

If the Australian government did this, it would also open a new sort of revenue for the Good people of Australia. That revenue would be betting on how many muzzies could make it a week. Grab a few beers and make it a reality show.