Leora & Paul - General Chat For This Apartment (2016)

For those who don't know what a tailgate party is....

Just go around any stadium, ball field or sandlot here in America and look into the parking lot. Mostly while a game is in progress, but anytime.

You'll find many, many pickup trucks and other vehicles with their tailgates down and revelers surrounding the vehicle. They are  "tailgating" and barbecuing and having a great party time.

Hence-----------------"tailgating"

Gotta luv it!!!

1) I do not understand the complex relationship of Leora & Paul. I have examined it, and decided it's out of my jurisdiction.

2) Europeans do not understand cars and tail-gate parties because they don't need to. Their countries are tiny, and therefore their dependence on public transit, and the creation of public transit methods, are both cost effective. I have only ONE county (that's as big as a many smaller European countries) in my state I can walk to without dying of exhaustion or a lack of food.

3) New York City people don't own cars. Los Angeles people do. It's not cultural; it's historical. And, like the rest of the US, the situation is different between divergent locations.

4) I'd like to have the choices of public transport across the North American continent like Europeans have across Europe. It's simply not cost-effective, convenient, or possible across such a large terrain of different jurisdictional States.

I have no reason to judge Paul or Leora as fellow humans. So I won't. Except she's a doll and I would have walked and suffered many adversities across a State boundary to date her. But no. She must love Paul.

Thanks for that! But what is a 'sandlot'!! ahaha

Another unfamiliar term for us ignorant non-Americans!

We are such a deprived lot!

Hey, wait: Squirrel played sandlot baseball in L.A. way back. In a vacant lot. Way back.

It's similar to German bat-ball, Cricket, and many other sports. But it's keenly akin to the ancient Greek's respect for individual achievement. Unlike "futbol," one can root for an individual batter, an opposing pitcher, or a specific team, all at the same time. Sports wise, this is a highly complex concept here. We've got  a thread somewhere on Old Dudes called All Things Baseball. The sport is still very popular with the descendants of your cousins who moved here.

I doubt Paul knows anything about playing sandlot baseball with the neighborhood kids. Fortunately, Leora can wear ballet shoes, which redeems my faith in humans.

If these people are really so good at the art of public transportation, I'd prefer them to ship Leora to my squirrel nest. Unfortunately, I'm afraid she'd hop off the the train when she reached Skunk Pass, Wyoming.

(So much for us keeping things on topic...)

1. Culturally I'm sure places like Russia, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary are much changed since the end of iron-clad Soviet repression, but some cultural habits are ingrained, too, no doubt.

2. He's obsessed by his work or hobby, but every time she goes away he mopes around and seems unable to work, often looking morose and going to lie down or mooch about, suggesting he needs Leora more than she needs him.

1. I visited some of Eastern Europe before and after the collapse of the Iron Curtain and I can tell you that Prague c 1990 was amazing in comparison to what it was. The Charles Bridge was like the 60s 70s and 80s were happening all at the same time with hippy, punk and new romantic culture in the space of a few yards. It was absolutely buzzing. Other places weren't doing quite so well with freedom/capitalist teething troubles after decades of repression.

2. I think I have probably commented on this before but I've observed this also. If Leora's out of his sight/control for any length of time he becomes super lethargic unable really to do or enjoy anything. Just now it's what is the middle of the night for him and yet he's in the GR with his guitar and I guess he's not playing cheery songs. Actually he's now back on the LR sofa with the dog. If it weren't for certain aspects of his behaviour I would feel sorry for him but those certain aspects mean I don't.

Okay  Okay  Okay; For Foamy T Squirrel, TRG 150 and Bubbleobill....

I'm terribly sorry for the use of foreign terms.

Since all your comments are so beautifully written, I assumed that you all were american.

Be that as it may,,,

A sand lot is a small ball field where baseball, football and soccer teams play, because they can't afford the rental fees required for the larger fields. They are extremely prevalent in and around the country and they get a fair amount of use by pre-teens and teens that want to engage in sports. Many church groups use them consistently and the up-keep is minimal.

Anything else?

Rollex

Okay  Okay  Okay; For Foamy T Squirrel, TRG 150 and Bubbleobill....

I'm terribly sorry for the use of foreign terms.

Since all your comments are so beautifully written, I assumed that you all were american.

Be that as it may,,,

A sand lot is a small ball field where baseball, football and soccer teams play, because they can't afford the rental fees required for the larger fields. They are extremely prevalent in and around the country and they get a fair amount of use by pre-teens and teens that want to engage in sports. Many church groups use them consistently and the up-keep is minimal.

Anything else?

Rollex

That's pretty much it, except for churches usually had their own fields. We just found any vacant and undeveloped lot in the neighborhood, and made it our own. Now days, such areas are usually cordoned off by the land owner, because if anyone got hurt on their property, they might be liable for damages and be sued in a court of law. Many of us miss the old days when if you got hit in the head, you learned to not get hit in the head in the future. Now, getting hit in the head can be worth millions if you get the right attorney.

I won't talk about little green army men. Or Barbie dolls. This is, afterall, a Leora and Paul thread. In which case, maybe I should talk about little green army men and Barbie dolls!  :lmao:

Now this is one of the great privileges of camcaps. I am loving reading all the comments from people in other parts of the world. Mods, I thought we could post our country of origin. I wish everyone would populate your country. It is really interesting.

One of the best things about CamCaps is the ability to interact with people from different cultures. When it comes to wine, women, song, and Leora, we have a universal language.

As for wishing everyone would "populate" our country, there are no vacancies left. Especially not in my forest. Unless your RLC name is Leora and you love woodland creatures.

I'll check into the disappearance of national flags from member's badges. This occurred with the latest remodel of the user interface, not that it's all that important. Suffice to say, only 2 mods are in the US, one is in Canada, and one is in Europe. Personally, I'd like more mods -- I have a few Russian and Ukrainian girls in mind  :P :P :P but I don't think Admin is quite ready for that.  :D