The Climate Change Thread

17 hours ago, Robwin said:

I wonder what sparked off the Iron Age, Ice Age and all the other age happenings 1000's of years ago ?,  i don't recall there being any carbon emissions around during these periods ::)

Or could it be just normal planet climatic changes which has always occurred over 1000's of years and always will ?

Still it gives some people something to fucking whinge on about, have all these marches and demonstrations etc etc, oh yes and and yet another excuse for goverments to screw yet more taxes out of the general public.

Read my posts. I have fully explained the difference. I can't help you further. The science is not in dispute except by politicians. The issue is how do we put pressure on China and a big issue, that no-one will deal with, how do we deal with the out of control population explosion outside Europe and North America. The US has up to now done a lot to reduce its emissions. China has used the excuse that it is developing. That is no longer good enough and their emissions are already higher than Europe. Western Europe is making progress but the East has work to do. The significance of the climate accord was for the leading countries of the world to set an example. It is clearly possible to control without significant damage to the overall economy. 

On 4/19/2019 at 6:17 AM, Thestarider said:

Thus, I don't think it's the least bit misleading to claim that the U.S. is leading the world in reducing carbon dioxide emissions.

Totally true but this is been in the light of the past policy and the actions of individual states as well as the federal government. The United States has a unique place in the world. Therefore it needs to set an example. The US is a free democratic country. China is a communist state. It is the US that the world should look towards for leadership not China. By getting other countries onside by its example, the US can influence the world and start to control the human contribution not just for itself but the world. We all know it is difficult to control China - they are full of misinformation about its economic power - but the West can reduce its influence around the world. The US for which the economy has suffered far less than the rest of the Western World since the 2008 banking collapse can influence the whole world through its commitments. If the emphasis was on whether these accords are fair to the US rather than bollocks climate change denial put forward for political reasons then people might - because obviously there are always people who are going to be against the US because they are believe capitalism is evil - listen a bit more.
In summary what I am saying is we rely on the US to be the good guys.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2019 at 7:12 AM, BBsq69 said:

Totally true but this is been in the light of the past policy and the actions of individual states as well as the federal government. The United States has a unique place in the world. Therefore it needs to set an example. The US is a free democratic country. China is a communist state. It is the US that the world should look towards for leadership not China. By getting other countries onside by its example, the US can influence the world and start to control the human contribution not just for itself but the world. We all know it is difficult to control China - they are full of misinformation about its economic power - but the West can reduce its influence around the world. The US for which the economy has suffered far less than the rest of the Western World since the 2008 banking collapse can influence the whole world through its commitments. If the emphasis was on whether these accords are fair to the US rather than bollocks climate change denial put forward for political reasons then people might - because obviously there are always people who are going to be against the US because they are believe capitalism is evil - listen a bit more.
In summary what I am saying is we rely on the US to be the good guys.

As long as Donald J. Trump is at the helm there won't be too much influencing.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:32 AM, Thestarider said:

Image may contain: cloud, text and nature

Where was all the CO2 emissions etc etc when the world went through the iron age, the ice age  and all other ages then etc etc.

Oh i think the answer could be there wasn't any then but climate changes still occurred though. strange eh :biggrin:

Maybe all the dinosaurs farting lool

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to go along with the scientists and say the earth us warming. So the questions are , what's causing it, and what can we do about. The answers are unknown and nothing. And the idea that humans are destroying the planet because temperatures have gone up a degree or 2, and if the ocean rises 6 inches we've killed it ,are ludicrous. Glaciers extended down to Chicago just 20 000 years ago. And between 4000 and 20000 years ago, oceans rose 400 FEET! The only carbon footprint a typical human had back then was a campfire, and taking a shit in the woods. So somebody please explain to me what caused that warmup since it wasn't humans, and how the earth managed to survive, but now a 2 or 3 degree rise will be the end of it. It's all a game. The rich can buy their way out of cutting their huge carbon footprint, keep thier 3 mansions, limos and private planes by buying carbon credits, while simple folk like us need to unplug their phone chargers not in use, stop eating burgers, and wipe thier asses with a single sheet of toilet paper. By the way. This is no smear on the rich. I'll be rich one day and have no regrets or guilt about it. The climate is what it's going to be, and we can't do anything about it. The earth has done just fine 4 billion years before humans, and will be just fine 4 billion years after we've killed off our own species.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Where was all the CO2 emissions etc etc when the world went through the iron age, the ice age  and all other ages then etc etc.

Oh i think the answer could be there wasn't any then but climate changes still occurred though. strange eh :biggrin:

Maybe all the dinosaurs farting lool

Exactly!  Those farts could be devastating, especially the wet ones!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ashleyxyz said:

I'm going to go along with the scientists and say the earth us warming. So the questions are , what's causing it, and what can we do about. The answers are unknown and nothing. And the idea that humans are destroying the planet because temperatures have gone up a degree or 2, and if the ocean rises 6 inches we've killed it ,are ludicrous. Glaciers extended down to Chicago just 20 000 years ago. And between 4000 and 20000 years ago, oceans rose 400 FEET! The only carbon footprint a typical human had back then was a campfire, and taking a shit in the woods. So somebody please explain to me what caused that warmup since it wasn't humans, and how the earth managed to survive, but now a 2 or 3 degree rise will be the end of it. It's all a game. The rich can buy their way out of cutting their huge carbon footprint, keep thier 3 mansions, limos and private planes by buying carbon credits, while simple folk like us need to unplug their phone chargers not in use, stop eating burgers, and wipe thier asses with a single sheet of toilet paper. By the way. This is no smear on the rich. I'll be rich one day and have no regrets or guilt about it. The climate is what it's going to be, and we can't do anything about it. The earth has done just fine 4 billion years before humans, and will be just fine 4 billion years after we've killed off our own species.

Essentially you are correct Ash. Mars is also undergoing a similar climate change and nobody lives there. It can only be the power of the Sun. That's not to say that we should give up on searching for power sources to replace fossil fuels but this is for different reasons.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, squish said:

Essentially you are correct Ash. Mars is also undergoing a similar climate change and nobody lives there. It can only be the power of the Sun. That's not to say that we should give up on searching for power sources to replace fossil fuels but this is for different reasons.

Hi squish, I'm with you on alternative fuels. But the technology isn't here yet to totally replace fossil fuel anytime soon. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ashleyxyz said:

The only carbon footprint a typical human had back then was a campfire, and taking a shit in the woods.

I think you have cracked it Ash, its all that shit giving off all that methane gas thats fucking it all up.:biggrin:

Just think of all that shit being expelled from all over the world 24/7 lol doesn't bear thinking about and growing every year ::)  

• Like 3