Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #2

33 minutes ago, moos54 said:

It all depends on the side effects it can generate, I agree that there is an emergency if we want to save as many people as possible, but it would be a shame if this drug could claim more victims than the virus because we didn't want to wait to see the test results

Is Hydroxychloroquine the Answer to the Coronavirus Pandemic? Inside the Race to Find A COVID-19 Cure

The emergence of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2019, or SARS CoV-2, has made plain our vulnerability to a novel pathogen. An estimated 160 million to 214 million people in the United States could be infected over the course of the epidemic, by some estimates. Fatalities could run from 200,000 to 1.7 million people, according to the CDC, and into the tens of millions worldwide. The lack of treatments is a startling contrast to the sophistication of current medical science, which is in something of a golden age of genomics, machine learning and big data. The coronavirus has caught us flat-footed. Yet, at the same time, it has underscored how far the tools of medicine have evolved in recent years. Just days after local infectious disease experts sent virus samples taken from two patients infected with a suspicious form or pneumonia to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a world-renowned research laboratory, for analysis, scientists had sequenced the newly emergent pathogen's RNA and uploaded its entire 30,000-nucleotide genetic code to the cloud.\

Rapid response

In recent years, technologies that allow rapid sequencing of genetic material have become standard equipment in most top research laboratories. Because of these tools, scientists were able to state with relative confidence that the current virus is closely related to the SARS coronavirus that hit in 2003, as well as very closely related to a bat coronavirus found in a cave in Yunnan, China, back in 2017. With this knowledge, scientists dusted off the files from that outbreak and picked up where other scientists left off. To survive, these patients require mechanical ventilators, which can force higher concentrations of oxygen into the parts of the lungs that are still functioning, allowing them to rest, recover and preserve precious energy needed to outlast the viral attack. Antiviral medication could shorten the time patients need to be on ventilators—and perhaps prevent many of them from needing one in the first place. One of the most promising ideas is to develop new drugs that can attenuate the immune response to keep the lungs functioning adequately.

"People are dying because they are losing the ability to breathe—because their lungs are filling with inflammation," says George D. Yancopoulos, Regeneron's President and Chief Scientific Officer. "That's what's happening. That's a fact. The question is, what's causing the inflammation? If you shut that off, basically the lungs calm down, the cells leave the lung and they are also not making all this bad stuff."

3 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

And how long will those studies take? This drug has been used since 1955 with very few side effects recorded. Also, the FDA has given the okay for using the drug to treat covid-19. Check out the work done by Dr. Stephen Smith of New Jersey. 

Ok so why isn't everybody using then and solving the problem. Good question eh because there are doubts about its side effects, not everyone is so reckless to prescribe drugs that haven't any proven or tested effect. Why hasn't the USA jumped in and used it and saved all those lives.?

1 hour ago, ashleyxyz said:

Hey Rob how you guys hanging there at your house? Im not sure why there's such debate about this drug? You said nobody is using it, there's doctors all over the world prescribing it with positive results apparently.  If my Mom was dying from this virus. And all option were used, I would beg her doc to give it to her. I hope most everyone would. Why should we not allow that option to be available if doctor and patient agree to it?

Because the news media and the American ruling establishment hate Trump, so they will never support anything he is in favor of.  Sadly, that includes people in healthcare.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

Nobody using it? The last I heard 72% of the doctors in Spain are prescribing it for their covid-19 patients. Sounds like you need a new source for your news.  Go to the internet and type in hydroxychloroquine and see how many stories pop up about how widely it is being used.

Maybe,with all respect, you should be running things then and solving all the problem.

I don't know why it isn't being widely used but there must be a good reason for it, yes the internet is great but not all stuff on there can be taken as the outright truth.

Well it hasn't helped Spain much then has it what is it now 14000 odd and still rising.

12 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Ok so why isn't everybody using then and solving the problem. Good question eh because there are doubts about its side effects, not everyone is so reckless to prescribe drugs that haven't any proven or tested effect. Why hasn't the USA jumped in and used it and saved all those lives.?

Let me ask you question: do you really care about the side effects if it saves your life ? The side effect can be treated by other drugs just like my father who had congestive heart failure and lived many years beyond what most of the doctors said he would !!! It is  about choices Max and whether you wish to die from this silent killer or to fight it. I am 60 and smoke, if I get it I am surely to almost die from this shit. I chose to live for my grandchildren. Age and wisdom Max, we must pass it along to the nest generation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Maybe,with all respect, you should be running things then and solving all the problem.

I don't know why it isn't being widely used but there must be a good reason for it, yes the internet is great but not all stuff on there can be taken as the outright truth.

Well it hasn't helped Spain much then has it what is it now 14000 odd and still rising.

So where is your info coming from? 

1 minute ago, Thestarider said:

Let me ask you question: do you really care about the side effects if it saves your life ? The side effect can be treated by other drugs just like my father who had congestive heart failure and lived many years beyond what most of the doctors said he would !!! It is  about choices Max and whether you wish to die from this silent killer or to fight it. I am 60 and smoke, if I get it I am sure almost sure to die from this shit. I chose to live for my grandchildren.

Your reasons are sound but it still doesn't explain why everybody is not using it. i am no expert so have to trust in those who are i'm afraid.

Just now, Ridgerunner said:

So where is your info coming from? 

Take a look its updated daily ..........

WWW.WORLDOMETERS.INFO

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and...

14 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Your reasons are sound but it still doesn't explain why everybody is not using it. i am no expert so have to trust in those who are i'm afraid.

Max I vaguely remember polio, but we kicked it's ass by trying. should we just let this virus kick our ass or should we fight like crazy. I am not ready to leave this world yet. I have too much too wisdom to pass along to my children and my grandchildren. I choose to fight to my last breath.

No  Chinese BS virus is going to kick my ass !!!!

You Go Boris Johnson we all have your back. Fight like their is no tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

I know how to make the news media and American establishment believers in hydroxychloroquine. President Trump should announce that because there is such a short supply of the drug, only Republicans are eligible to receive it.:tongue:

Oh dear oh dear you are so politically biased or blinkered this discussion is going nowhere any sense.

• Like 1