Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #2

41 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Well makes you wonder why nobody's using it then if it's so wonderful as it may have saved 1000's of lives. Why isn't it being used then is the next question? 

Afraid I don't have an answer for that.

I think the studies are still ongoing. More participants, statisticly improved results. 

If it is such a success, we will certainly find out soon.  

1 hour ago, Robwin said:

Well makes you wonder why nobody's using it then if it's so wonderful as it may have saved 1000's of lives. Why isn't it being used then is the next question? 

FDA Says Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine Can Be Used to Treat Coronavirus (Newsweek Article)

Hydroxychloroquine rated 'most effective therapy' by doctors for coronavirus: Global survey

Drug known for treating malaria used by U.S. doctors mostly for high-risk COVID-19 patients. An international poll of more than 6,000 doctors released Thursday found that the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine was the most highly rated treatment for the novel coronavirus.

The survey conducted by Sermo, a global health care polling company, of 6,227 physicians in 30 countries found that 37% of those treating COVID-19 patients rated hydroxychloroquine as the “most effective therapy” from a list of 15 options.

Of the physicians surveyed, 3,308 said they had either ordered a COVID-19 test or been involved in caring for a coronavirus patient, and 2,171 of those responded to the question asking which medications were most effective. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration gave chloroquine and its next-generation derivative, hydroxychloroquine, emergency-use authorization Monday for treating the novel coronavirus, although the drug was already being used off-label by some doctors and hospitals for COVID-19 patients.

2 hours ago, Robwin said:

Hey Rob how you guys hanging there at your house? Im not sure why there's such debate about this drug? You said nobody is using it, there's doctors all over the world prescribing it with positive results apparently.  If my Mom was dying from this virus. And all option were used, I would beg her doc to give it to her. I hope most everyone would. Why should we not allow that option to be available if doctor and patient agree to it?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ashleyxyz said:

Hey Rob how you guys hanging there at your house? Im not sure why there's such debate about this drug? You said nobody is using it, there's doctors all over the world prescribing it with positive results apparently.  If my Mom was dying from this virus. And all option were used, I would beg her doc to give it to her. I hope most everyone would. Why should we not allow that option to be available if doctor and patient agree to it?

Then why aren't the states using it then perhaps if they had over 12000 odd of your citizens might still be alive??? Not being funny but if this drug is the silver bullet it just seems odd most aren't using it that's all I'm saying.

Yep we are fine so far still locked up so to speak trust you and Guy are ok.

The problem is that this drug can be dangerous if the dosage is wrong
I read that an American died because he took it on his own with a derivative of this product for cleaning aquarium, simply because he heard the President of the United States that this drug was the miracle product to cure this virus

Sweden decided today to ban the use of this drug because of its side effects

This drug was discovered by a French researcher, therefore from my country, the problem is that his tests are still debated within my own country because it is difficult to say whether this drug treats or not people reach covid

Normally the European test on a larger scale should give its first figures probably this week i hope 

• Upvote 1

I am not a President Trump fan, but the President is right when he says we don't have time to test and find out, we have try anything that might work. TOO many people all over the world have already lost to this silent killer.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Then why aren't the states using it then perhaps if they had over 12000 odd of your citizens might still be alive??? Not being funny but if this drug is the silver bullet it just seems odd most aren't using it that's all I'm saying.

Yep we are fine so far still locked up so to speak trust you and Guy are ok.

Ok, yeah, really odd

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

I am not a President Trump fan, but the President is right when he says we don't have time to test and find out, we have try anything that might work. TOO many people all over the world have already lost to this silent killer.

It all depends on the side effects it can generate, I agree that there is an emergency if we want to save as many people as possible, but it would be a shame if this drug could claim more victims than the virus because we didn't want to wait to see the test results

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alladino said:

Nice to see that this lawmaker is feeling better again, but unfortunately this is no proof of the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine at all. It could have been that she would have shown improvement also with a placebo. 

Anyway, I looked a little further. My information might have been a little out of date:

Let's see what other studies will show as result. 

And how long will those studies take? This drug has been used since 1955 with very few side effects recorded. Also, the FDA has given the okay for using the drug to treat covid-19. Check out the work done by Dr. Stephen Smith of New Jersey. 

3 hours ago, Robwin said:

Nobody using it? The last I heard 72% of the doctors in Spain are prescribing it for their covid-19 patients. Sounds like you need a new source for your news.  Go to the internet and type in hydroxychloroquine and see how many stories pop up about how widely it is being used.