Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #2

4 hours ago, firewall said:

deepest recession since 1945 this is the word of the minister of the economy today here in France, the economic impact will be very strong

It will be felt Worldwide.  More cases are adding up and more death still reeking havoc.  China is now starting to get their second bout of it.  So it's going to be awhile before this COVID19 thing blows itself out. The City I live in the case numbers are rising each day. Only 2 Deaths so far but it is expected to be more in the coming days & weeks.  So far I have avoided catching it. 

No matter where you go they have everyone treating everyone like they are a Leper.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

It will be felt Worldwide.  More cases are adding up and more death still reeking havoc.  China is now starting to get their second bout of it.  So it's going to be awhile before this COVID19 thing blows itself out. The City I live in the case numbers are rising each day. Only 2 Deaths so far but it is expected to be more in the coming days & weeks.  So far I have avoided catching it. 

No matter where you go they have everyone treating everyone like they are a Leper.

it's like we are in the third world war but this time the menace is invisible

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

Just came on the news  British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been taken into the intensive care unit in hospital after his COVID-19 worsened, his office said on Monday. 

Yes it has come as a big shock for us all we can only hope and pray it is a more of a precaution rather than anything more serious but if anyone was still in any doubt, this disease can be deadly so to all take care as much as you are able. The whole nation is rooting for you Boris come on lad you can beat it.👍👍👍

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Robwin said:

Yes it has come as a big shock for us all we can only hope and pray it is a more of a precaution rather than anything more serious but if anyone was still in any doubt, this disease can be deadly so to all take care as much as you are able. The whole nation is rooting for you Boris come on lad you can beat it.👍👍👍

I hope it's just precautionary, but sadly there are too many 'precautions' here for my liking...🥴

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nagachilli2 said:

I hope it's just precautionary, but sadly there are too many 'precautions' here for my liking...🥴

Afraid I have to agree with you but we can only look on the positive side and hope it isn't all doom and gloom. 👍

• Upvote 1

So how is it in the UK when the prime minister is serious ill and can no longer do his job. Who is taking over?

Here in Germany this would be the vice chancellor. His name is Olaf Scholz. Member of the Social Democratic party and our minister of finance.

10 minutes ago, jabbath1987 said:

So how is it in the UK when the prime minister is serious ill and can no longer do his job. Who is taking over?

Here in Germany this would be the vice chancellor. His name is Olaf Scholz. Member of the Social Democratic party and our minister of finance.

He appointed Foreign Secretary Dominic Rhab in the interim.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved to intensive care in hospital after his coronavirus symptoms "worsened", Downing Street has said.

A spokesman said he was moved on the advice of his medical team and is receiving "excellent care". 

The prime minister, 55, was admitted to hospital in London with "persistent symptoms" on Sunday evening.

A No 10 statement read: "The prime minister has been under the care of doctors at St Thomas' Hospital, in London, after being admitted with persistent symptoms of coronavirus.

"Over the course of [Monday] afternoon, the condition of the prime minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the intensive care unit at the hospital."

Gods Speed Mr. Johnson the UK needs your leadership and guidance. You are in many peoples of the world Thoughts and Prayers.

• Like 1

Key Coronavirus Model Now Predicts Many Fewer U.S. Deaths

A Sunday update of a prominent COVID-19 forecasting model suggests that fewer lives will be lost during the first wave of the coronavirus outbreak than previously thought. The University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) now predicts that 81,766 people will die of COVID-19 in the U.S. through early August. When the model was last updated, on April 2, it predicted 11,765 deaths more deaths, for a total of 93,531. 

he model, which has been cited by the White House, relies on numbers from China, Italy, Spain, and areas around the U.S. The change in prediction is due to “a massive infusion of new data,” IHME director Dr. Christopher Murray said in a press release.

According to its website, the IHME model was developed to “provide hospitals, health-care workers, policymakers, and the public with crucial information about what demands COVID-19 may place on hospital capacity and resources, so that they could begin to plan.” The model’s latest update includes several important changes related to that planning. Many fewer hospital beds will be needed at peak than previously anticipated, according to the new projections. The April 5 update predicts the need for 140,823 total hospital beds and 29,210 ICU beds at the peak of the outbreak. Those numbers are down 121,269 and 10,517, respectively. 

The model also revised downward the prediction for the number of ventilators needed at the height of the outbreak. It now predicts the need for 18,992 ventilators, down from 31,782.

One thing that didn’t change between the April 2 and April 5 models is the projected date of the outbreak’s peak. The model still predicts an April 16 apex for the daily COVID-19 death rate. Hospital use is expected to peak on April 15.