BREX(SH)IT

Here's something I forgot to report but it is something which indicates the dangers of archaic parliamentary practices.

Stephen Kinnock (son of former Labour leader, Neil, and EU Commissioner, Glenys, and husband of the former Danish PM) put an amendment to the extension (anti-No Deal) bill I mentioned above which would ensure the thrice rejected May Deal (which personally I hoped would be backed even though I didn't like it) would be put forward again.

His own party were whipped (instructed) to abstain and the Tory Party were given a free vote. Now there are supposed to be tellers for each side. In this case the opposition were in charge of counting the YES votes and the government were in charge of counting the NO votes. However the Tories did not send any tellers. Therefore nobody recorded the NO vote and so YES won. This was a shock and not what the opposition wanted. The Brexiteers who don't like the May Deal nevertheless thought this was very funny and might prove a stumbling block to the bill since the parties then have to effectively back the May bill if they want to back the delay which is at the very least embarrassing.

I am not sure if this has ever happened before but suspicion was heavily on the fact that the government under Boris had done this deliberately and doing things that have never happened before is very typical of a man with no respect for anything. It could have been just massive incompetence but (and this is political but only slightly as a lot of his supporters would say the same) again that would be typical of Boris.

BTW Remainers have been clearly ahead of Leavers for some while. This, for most people, is not about remaining in the EU but not leaving on terms dictated by people who represent less than a third of the UK population. 

Now with parliament suspended which a court case has shown Boris (or more possibly his adviser Cummings) was planning this before No 10. said it wasn't being planned - so someone was either lying or misinformed - Boris can ask people to figure some way out for him.

It is traditional for The Speaker to be elected unopposed (well at least by the leading parties). However there was talk of the Conservatives putting a candidate up against him. He is (or was, I guess) a Conservative MP. With the threat of an immediate election looking unlikely unless Boris pulls another trick, John Bercow has decided to stand down. Doing that now means a Speaker will be elected by the current House of Commons rather than a post election one which means it is likely to be someone who is not going to let the government have its own way. One of The Speaker's main jobs is to let backbench MPs have their say which no government likes. He's also chosen the date of October 31st to stand down ... the date of Brexit. He does have an eye for theatre.

The latest is that Boris will try to allow Northern Ireland to stay partly in instead of the whole UK. This will cause all kinds of border problems especially with the terrorists still active. It might work and if does then it is a harder deal than the opposition parties have voted against so effectively it will be a win for the hard right who will still claim it is not hard enough because they have become increasingly bolshie and seem to have a need to hate something. If you had offered it to them 5 years ago they would have thought it was Xmas. Of course the Unionists of Northern Ireland are furious ... but then I don't think any deal would ever satisfy them ... but Boris, considering he has destroyed his own majority so recklessly, is unlikely to care about them.

BTW The government has not won a vote since June.

Meanwhile the Liberals have said they will stay in the EU whatever now while the Labour Party which is trapped by the fact that their membership is strongly Remain, their voters less so and their leader who pretends to be Remain but nobody believes him since he was previously a life long Leaver (but then Boris was a Remainer and only switched because he saw it as a chance to seize power) has said they would negotiate a deal and hold a referendum in which they would mainly campaign against any deal they negotiated. It is not as mad as it seems, but then it seems very mad and is open to easy ridicule by the right wing press - that's not political, the press is factually mainly on the right. This is what happens when you have weak leadership.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nagachilli2 said:

It's hard to believe its actually real life tho, and not just a show...😏

Well Micheal Dobbs who wrote "House of Cards" all those years ago is in The House of Lords and may possibly even believe in No Deal. I just wonder if Boris makes use of his Machiavellian touch. Never watched the American version but do remember Ian Richardson's brilliant performance in the lead role of the original British version.

But really Armando Iannucci ("The Day Today"(*), "The Death of Stalin", "The Thick of It" -> "Veep") could not have made this up.

* But surprisingly not "Brass Eye" which Chris Morris wrote with the "Father Ted" team - now that I didn't know.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BBsq69 said:

Well Micheal Dobbs who wrote "House of Cards" all those years ago is in The House of Lords and may possibly even believe in No Deal. I just wonder if Boris makes use of his Machiavellian touch. Never watched the American version but do remember Ian Richardson's brilliant performance in the lead role of the original British version.

But really Armando Iannucci ("The Day Today"(*), "The Death of Stalin", "The Thick of It" -> "Veep") could not have made this up.

* But surprisingly not "Brass Eye" which Chris Morris wrote with the "Father Ted" team - now that I didn't know.

Your in luck--The American version returns 😏

• Upvote 1

Now that the Scottish High Court has ruled that the proroguing of Parliament was illegal this will really put the cat amongst the pigeons. The Government are going to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court and seem confident they will win but who knows?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, jjkopite said:

Now that the Scottish High Court has ruled that the proroguing of Parliament was illegal this will really put the cat amongst the pigeons. The Government are going to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court and seem confident they will win but who knows?

Well what would you expect from the scots? most likely following the poison dwarfs orders lool