Discussion:2019 Novel Corona Virus (Covid19) and It's Political Ramifications #5

Pepe

8 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

My statement is not flawed. An amendment once it is ratified becomes part of the Constitution. At that point an originalist will consider the amendment to be just as legitimate as the rest of the Constitution. Being an originalist means interpreting the constitution and law as they are written and not seeing things that are not there in order to fit a justice's personal ideological agenda. That includes new laws and Constitutional amendments.

Well if it's ratified obviously it becomes part of the constitution so why should an originalist or anyone else think anything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridgerunner said:

It's beginning to look like European leaders weren't all that brilliant in handling the pandemic. And now even the W.H.O. is saying lockdowns are and were a big mistake in fighting the pandemic.

I know...we've been shite too!...I've totally lost faith in Boris and his team. They're handling it wrong, it just isn't working! 😒

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Well if it's ratified obviously it becomes part of the constitution so why should an originalist or anyone else think anything else.

Because some justices read things into laws that are not there. An originalist interprets laws and the Constitution based only upon what is written. Example: Show me where the word abortion is anywhere in the Constitution, but non-originalists  some how determined that the Constitution made abortion a federal right. The U.S. Supreme Court should have never made a ruling on abortion because abortion  is mentioned no where in the Constitution. An originalist would say that the legality or non-legality of abortion should be determined by state or federal legislation, not by the courts.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Bollocks, one of the highest infected based on population.

Of course, more people will be infected when there is no lock down. Becoming infected is how a population builds immunity. Infection numbers mean nothing. Important figures are how many people are hospitalized and how many people are dying.  It appears the best way to fight the disease is to provide protection for people who are most in danger of severe illness and death from the virus while allowing the rest of the population to live normal lives.