Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #1

itsme

21 minutes ago, firewall said:

an explanation is it's because the italian tradition is to keep the grand parents at home with their childrens  and not to send them in a medical center for old people and the italian population is old aslo, this virus have a strong impact on the old fragile people, here also we have one of the best health systems but we have already 19 deaths (most of them are old)

Well yes. I like this tradition. My grandparents are living in our house too. It is a nice tradition. Too bad it causes now problems. I know the Italian health system is not bad. I guess every country would have real problems with so many infections at all. I wish you so best. In what region of Italy are you?

1 minute ago, jabbath1987 said:

Well yes. I like this tradition. My grandparents are living in our house too. It is a nice tradition. Too bad it causes now problems. I know the Italian health system is not bad. I guess every country would have real problems with so many infections at all. I wish you so best. In what region of Italy are you?

he is french :biggrin:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jabbath1987 said:

i am french not italian (check my location profile) but this situation in Italy interest me

• Like 1

The Media has blown this way out of proportion: Please everyone educate yourselves with truth and facts and not misconceptions and political scare tactics.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

Influenza “the flu” and COVID-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus, are both infectious respiratory illnesses. Although the symptoms of COVID-19 and the flu can look similar, the two illnesses are caused by different viruses. As of Mar. 8, 2020, the flu is showing much more of an impact on Americans than COVID-19. You can find up-to-date information on COVID-19 at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Lisa Maragakis, M.D., M.P.H., senior director of infection prevention at Johns Hopkins, explains how the flu and COVID-19 are similar and how they are different.

Differences: COVID-19 and the Flu

Cause

COVID-19: Caused by one virus, the novel 2019 coronavirus, now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2.

Flu: Caused by any of several different types and strains of influenza viruses.

Transmission

While both the flu and COVID-19 may be transmitted in similar ways (see the Similarities section above), there is also a possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route, meaning that tiny droplets remaining in the air could cause disease in others even after the ill person is no longer near.

Antiviral Medications

COVID-19: Antiviral medications are currently being tested to see if they can address symptoms.

Flu: Antiviral medications can address symptoms and sometimes shorten the duration of the illness.

Vaccine

COVID-19: No vaccine is available at this time, though it is in progress.

Flu: A vaccine is available and effective to prevent some of the most dangerous types or to reduce the severity of the flu.

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 107,644 cases worldwide; 437 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 3,653 deaths reported worldwide; 17 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19.

Preliminary Cumulative Estimates of Hospitalizations in the U.S. 2019-2020 Flu Season

Preliminary Hospital Burden

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, firewall said:

i am french not italian (check my location profile) but this situation in Italy interest me

Oh you are my neighbor to the west.😁 Hope the situation in France will improve too👍. We here in Germany have a lot of cases too but can still be lucky to have it under control 

1 minute ago, Thestarider said:

The Media has blown this way out of proportion: Please everyone educate yourselves with truth and facts and not misconceptions and political scare tactics.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

Influenza “the flu” and COVID-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus, are both infectious respiratory illnesses. Although the symptoms of COVID-19 and the flu can look similar, the two illnesses are caused by different viruses. As of Mar. 8, 2020, the flu is showing much more of an impact on Americans than COVID-19. You can find up-to-date information on COVID-19 at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Lisa Maragakis, M.D., M.P.H., senior director of infection prevention at Johns Hopkins, explains how the flu and COVID-19 are similar and how they are different.

Differences: COVID-19 and the Flu

Cause

COVID-19: Caused by one virus, the novel 2019 coronavirus, now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2.

Flu: Caused by any of several different types and strains of influenza viruses.

Transmission

While both the flu and COVID-19 may be transmitted in similar ways (see the Similarities section above), there is also a possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route, meaning that tiny droplets remaining in the air could cause disease in others even after the ill person is no longer near.

Antiviral Medications

COVID-19: Antiviral medications are currently being tested to see if they can address symptoms.

Flu: Antiviral medications can address symptoms and sometimes shorten the duration of the illness.

Vaccine

COVID-19: No vaccine is available at this time, though it is in progress.

Flu: A vaccine is available and effective to prevent some of the most dangerous types or to reduce the severity of the flu.

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 107,644 cases worldwide; 437 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 3,653 deaths reported worldwide; 17 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19.

Thanks for the update. I guess what is scary for the people is knowing there is no vaccine or medication against it yet. What should make us think positive is numbers in China are already falling. They cure more people as they have new infections. 

10 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

The media is scaring the old people to death 😏 (joking)

because most of the deaths are the elderly ---

Chart showing death rates for different groups

• Like 1

the deaths with the flu is estimate between 0,1 and 0,5 % and for the moment the deaths with this new virus is estimate  around  3,4 %  we have no vaccin and we don't know much about this virus for the moment he can mutate 

2 hours ago, firewall said:

you like to provocate :biggrin:, i know already the jabbath answer: but no deaths 😁

Lol, not really trying to prevaricate but just hope Jabs accepts now that it isn't just a media induced thing but that it is actually happening all over and seems to be speeding up which is bad news really. I just hope it doesn't get out of control, as to be honest there is not much any government can really do now to stop it apart from closing all borders and that would be terrible. The warmer weather is a long way away yet so it can only get worse unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Robwin said:

Lol, not really trying to prevaricate but just hope you accept now that it isn't just a media induced thing but that it is actually happening all over and seems to be speeding up which is bad news really. I just hope it doesn't get out of control, as to be honest there is not much any government can really do now to stop it apart from closing all borders and that would be terrible. The warmer weather is a long way away yet so it can only get worse unfortunately.

i was joking, since day one i take this new virus very seriously 

1 minute ago, firewall said:

the deaths with the flu is estimate between 0,1 and 0,5 % and for the moment the deaths with this new virus is estimate  around  3,4 % and we have no vaccin and we don't know much abou this virus for the moment he can mutated 

Do you believe that this influenza strain is the focus of the very best medical researchers in the world ? I do and before to long they will have it under control. Soon they will have a flu shot for this strain, and here in the US when you are over 50 you a get different flu shot than the younger crowd gets. The amount the older crowd gets is about 3 times what the younger crowd gets. 

I believe from Chinese now are beginning to get a handle on the outbreak in China, The smartest medical research personnel in the world are on this case and they will find a way to prevent a pandemic, this I am pretty sure of at this point,

• Like 1