Website Outage Update

Admin

I wanted to provide an update on the recent outages and offer some reassurance that everything is okay from the CamCaps Administration side. 

On 2/3/20 the hosting company migrated the CamCaps.net web server to a new server with more resources. However, when they did the first migration, they inadvertently used a restore point that was about a week old. Approximately, 4-hours later the website was migrated using the most recent restore point. This resulted in approximately 5-hours of data loss. The good news is that going forward we now have a lot more space, essentially double what we had before.

On 2/9/20 at approximately 4 AM all of the Discussion Forums disappeared until approximately 4 PM on 2/10/20. The reason for this is related to a broken patch that was pushed out by the forum software vendor. I had to re-install the patch and run a database update script to fix the issue. The good news is that from what I can tell no data was lost. I apologize for the downtime, I didn't find out until this afternoon that there was a failed patch from the software vendor. I spent much of yesterday trying to track down a non-existent server/database issue. 

Going forward the system should be stable, reliable, and have plenty of room for growth. All of the issues were technical in nature, and not related to any kind of attack or threat actor. I again apologize for the inconvenience and I hope that you all will continue to be a part of this vibrant and thriving online community. 

I also wanted to give a big thank you to @StnCld316 for all the work that he does around here!

Thank You, 

- Admin  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Admin said:

I wanted to provide an update on the recent outages and offer some reassurance that everything is okay from the CamCaps Administration side. 

On 2/3/20 the hosting company migrated the CamCaps.net web server to a new server with more resources. However, when they did the first migration, they inadvertently used a restore point that was about a week old. Approximately, 4-hours later the website was migrated using the most recent restore point. This resulted in approximately 5-hours of data loss. The good news is that going forward we now have a lot more space, essentially double what we had before.

On 2/9/20 at approximately 4 AM all of the Discussion Forums disappeared until approximately 4 PM on 2/10/20. The reason for this is related to a broken patch that was pushed out by the forum software vendor. I had to re-install the patch and run a database update script to fix the issue. The good news is that from what I can tell no data was lost. I apologize for the downtime, I didn't find out until this afternoon that there was a failed patch from the software vendor, I spent much of yesterday trying to track down a non-existent server/database issue. 

Going forward the system should be stable, reliable, and have plenty of room for growth. All of the issues were technical in nature, and not related to any kind of attack or threat actor. I again apologize for the inconvenience and I hope that you all will continue to be a part of this vibrant and thriving online community. 

I also wanted to give a big thank you to @StnCld316 for all the work that he does around here!

Thank You, 

- Admin  

From someone that doesn't watch RLC, I rely on this forum to keep some sort of track on what is going on within RLC.  I for one appreciate everything you do and have done to bring CC back online.  Thank you to all who may have helped in this endeavor!!  Keep up the good work Admin, we all appreciate what you do and thank you for a wonderful forum!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

Everyone got to find out just how addicted they truly are. Eye opener for many I’m sure. 

LOL it wasn't easy giving up RLC but now I'm over them.  CC on the other hand, I am hooked.  It always sucks when you logon only to find out that the forum is down.  I don't do that other forum and I will never be caught up on what happened in RLC via CC while it was offline, but now it looks like we can continue without any problems.

• Like 2

This is news to me LOL.  I wasn't impacted by the outage since I was OTR during the apparent downtime.  But I have to say, the nice thing is that the CCF @Admin took the time to give us a response, an update, a detailed explanation for the outage, AND an apology.  That is pretty awesome in my opinion.  

Compared to the "other forum" which never provided ANY information for an outage or downtime, and never offered an apology for anything.  Anything we learned was through the yeoman's efforts of @StnCld316 who's job is already beleaguered enough as it is.  CCF ain't perfect, but that "other forum" sure could learn a thing or two from them.  

Thanks to all involved!    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3