Discussion: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) #2

2 minutes ago, ashleyxyz said:

They should put something like" Heart Attack,  complication by covid 19. My Dad has diabetes, if hea a heart attack that's the cause of death, not diabetes. Same with smoking, if a guy smokes 3 packs a day and dies from lung cancer, they wont put smoking as a cause of death.

Mostly everyone who dies unexpectedly will always wind up on a slab at the Medical Examiners Office to determine the cause of death.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StnCld316 said:

Mostly everyone who dies unexpectedly will always wind up on a slab at the Medical Examiners Office to determine the cause of death.

Hey Stn,  gee, what a pleasant thought.😷

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, happyone said:

So in that same vein of thought, Dr Fauci should have kept his mouth shut and not announce too quickly that 100,000 people in the USA will die from this virus according to his models--

Turns out to be not true.

5 hours ago, Ridgerunner said:

But Dr. Fauci is an "expert", so any bullshit he puts out there is accepted as the gospel truth. The people who designed the IMHE model that Dr. Fauci uses for his predictions are also "experts". Originally they predicted 240,00 Americans would die. Now they are saying 61,000.  My question is, how many times is an "expert" allowed to be completely wrong until he/she is no longer considered to be an "expert"? 

Models like this are very fluid, as is the situation we're confronted with.
Dr. Fauci's previous numbers were based on the stats that were available
at that time, which made them reliable, at that point in time. As you well
know, this virus changes and continues to change very rapidly. As the
stats and numbers change, so will Fauci's, or anyone else's, prediction be
different. They will be as accurate as the stats for that period in time.

Fauci wasn't wrong, the numbers plugged into his model changed, so of
course the prediction was going to be different. Of course, any model's
prediction will only be as accurate as the numbers being used at any
given point. If the numbers being reported are inaccurate, like the number
of deaths, for example, then the prediction will also be inaccurate, but
that's not Fauci's fault.

• Like 4

Computer models are only as accurate as the software programme writers views and the data used. They can only ever be an extension of whoever is writing them unless the human is being 100% honest without any personal leanings. Even then it depends on the data being used, to quote a well used term if you put rubbish in you get rubbish out. It's like statistics you can make them give you any answer you want it's just the way you use them.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Thestarider said:

moos, please name me a leader anywhere in the world that stands out in front of the Media everyday and gives the world an update on what is going on with this virus, not only does he not have a scripted answer by highly educated speech writer for every single question, the problem everyone seems to forget is that President Trump in not a refined politician, didn't take political science in college with hopes of becoming a public leader. He is in fact a person more like most all of the people of the world in which are having a normal conversation between each other. Most people wear their emotions on their sleeves, and say out loud just what ever pops into their heads and what they are thinking. Most all public leaders have an highly educated silver tonged devil that is called a press secretary who deflects every question with a political answer.

I actually find it kind of refreshing to see that a man who fully knows that every single word he utters will be highly scrutinized by the Media, knowing that every word will be twisted by the Media to fit their agenda and narrative, so they can make the high lite reels and gain ratings power. Yet day after day, he makes his way to the podium and tries to assure the American people that there is hope in this crisis.

Just holding a lot of press conferences is useless if they are of poor quality. Trump has spent far too much time playing down the problem or looking for someone else to blame. Sure, Later the quality of these events improved strongly by having experts like Dr. Fauci speak. Only, with someone like Trump, there is always a lot of confusion and misinformation. The only advantage of Trump's presence here is probably that certain groups of the population have more confidence in him than in science. A sad, but probably realistic observation. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jabbath1987 said:

Still ask myself why the UK has such a high rate of dead people...?

The data might be more transparent than in other countries? Very fucking highly likely..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jabbath1987 said:

Still ask myself why the UK has such a high rate of dead people...?

Maybe we record them truthfully or the majority are elder people. Numbers are meaningless without any substance behind them. The UK have a very large number of older people.

And your point is ??????

You could ask the same of France,Spain, Italy etc etc why only mention the UK?

• Like 1

I read a really scary message.

It could be that people who have already been healed could fall sick again without being re-infected. The whole thing may could get stuck in your body like herpes. 

I really hope this is just a misinterpretation. Otherwise, this could end up even more badly than previously expected. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-09/coronavirus-may-reactivate-in-cured-patients-korean-cdc-says

The coronavirus may be “reactivating” in people who have been cured of the illness, according to Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

About 51 patients classed as having been cured in South Korea have tested positive again, the CDC said in a briefing on Monday. Rather than being infected again, the virus may have been reactivated in these people, given they tested positive again shortly after being released from quarantine, said Jeong Eun-kyeong, director-general of the Korean CDC.

“While we are putting more weight on reactivation as the possible cause, we are conducting a comprehensive study on this,” Jeong said. “There have been many cases when a patient during treatment will test negative one day and positive another.”

WWW.WELT.DE

Bisher hieß es, dass man gegen das Coronavirus immun sei, sobald man Covid-19 einmal überstanden habe. Berichte aus Südkorea zeigen nun...

7 minutes ago, Robwin said:

Maybe we record them truthfully or the majority are elder people. Numbers are meaningless without any substance behind them. The UK have a very large number of older people.

And your point is ??????

You could ask the same of France,Spain, Italy etc etc why only mention the UK?

I always saw the UK as a little more "advanced" country than Italy and Spain...

Number of elderly people in the UK is basically same level as in Germany.

My question was pure interest. Nothing more. 

Saying the UK is only country recording them truthfully is a little bit biased...

On the positive side BoJo seems to be better 👍